What to do with Iphone4's scratched bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsonxray, Jul 5, 2011.

1. johnsonxray macrumors member

We all know that I4's silver bezel is easily scratched..with casings especially, like the bumper as many have reported..it left a small black dots on the silver bezel mainly on the antenna side..sim tray..or volume rocker side..it's not a black dot in fact its the silver coating being scratched off..I had a griffin reveal etch graphite case..its rubber material and I really had no idea what causes the scratches =(
    Anyway..is there any way like err..polish? rub? brush? the scratch part to make it less noticeable? is the tutorial in this video here gonna help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLSeVx_q1Ifor Iphone4? or some even said try to put toothpaste on a cloth and rub the scratched part lol..is that really gonna help?

p.s.FYI a scratched bezel would be something looked like this http://www.applei.ph/one/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,49/func,view/catid,73/id,1073796546/not that serious for mine of course =)

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Ive seen that type of 'brushing' before using a sponge.
    You gotta be careful and try to make sure its done in straight lines to ensure it look ok.

I wont be subjecting that method to my ip4 unless it gets pretty bad.

I use a rocketfish silicone case that covers the back and sides of the fone.

As most users keep their fone in their pockets their is the issue of pocket dust that gets under bumber cases and into the ports of the ip4.

I generally take my bumper off once a week and give it a good clean with a contact cloth.

I also use a pdair vertical leather case too that tends to keep it a little more dust free.

I dont think that this type of dust collated in a trouser/jeans pocket would scratch the bezel as deep as depicted in the links you provided. Wonder if he/she visited the beach !

3. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

nothing can actually be done to cure the scratches?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well, not really considering it's physical damage to the bezel. You can't reverse that. If you like, you can always ask Apple about it and see if they'll do anything but other than that, it is what it is.

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

you guys are completely mistaken

those are not scratches, what happens is small bits of dirt, lint, etc gets in between the case and the iPhone band. After days of being inside a pocket this acts like a buffing compound = those are actually small areas that are polished

apple uses a media blaster ( like it does to all its new aluminum parts) to get its matte finish = sand paper/brillo pads will not give you teh same result

do what I did just polish it completely = no more worrying about it being inside a case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

wao..how you did that..what did u use for polishing?

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I hesitate to polish because you wind up with polishing media in the buttons/ports of the phone.

Anyway take a look at some watch forums for instructions on how to do this. There certain polishing sponges that give you different brushed looks and there is something called cape cod polishing cloth that can give you a mirror finish. Either should look really nice.

The stock finish can only be obtained with a media blasting process.

8. mattkowalski macrumors member

The same happened to mine when I kept it in a bumper. But the phone was replaced at a genius bar when the phone (thankfully) developed a tempermental home button!

9. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

just ordered a speck candyShell..hope its a decent case to prevent dent for the buttons and block sands/dust whatever from going in and causes the silver coating to be scratched off..xoxo

10. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I'd like to know more about this.... can you post some more pictures? :)

11. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

same

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wow, this looks good. I prefer it to the stock brushed look. Got any tips on how you did that?

13. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

yea would you mind sharing?