What to do with MacBook at night?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, May 25, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

I was wondering what everybody does with their MacBook at night. The first night I had it I shut it down and booted up in the morning no problem. Last night I put it to sleep and I just felt weird leaving it plugged in and on all night. When I opened it from its sleep my dock was gone and I could not retrieve it so I rebooted it and everything was back to normal.

Any suggestions as to what is the best mode for my MacBook at night?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've never turned any of my Mac laptops off overnight. Sounds like an unusual wake from sleep: try it again.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I just close the lid and plug it in so it's ready to go the next day. When I am working from my comfy chair in the living room, I have it plugged in and I always just close the lid when I leave and then open it and continue working because everything is just as I left it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I never really turn my off either. The exception being the occasional reboot or cold restart. I've never had your specific problem, but occasionally I have something strange happen when opening it that constitutes a reboot.

5. Wicker macrumors regular

I tend to sleep it if I'll be using it the next morning, else I turn it off. It does feel a bit weird leaving it 'on' throughout the night but I'm trying to get used to it :p

6. wrongrobot macrumors newbie

wrongrobot

sleep via cinema display button... when at home... at work, I actually tend to leave on and turn the work external monitor off since I don't want the network connections in VMWare to get jangy...

7. iTone macrumors member

iTone

I just close the lid and let it sleep. I only turn it off if i am traveling or need a restart. Yes it does seem weird to have it on all the time and it did take time to get used to but now it's like nothing. Works fine always! :)

8. asme macrumors regular

I turn mine off.

Boot-up takes like twenty seconds, and it still uses a few watts in sleep.

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

Keep it on. I don't know why all these people think it's weird lol. My Mac Mini is on 24/7 as a server. My iMac runs 24/7 (well, it sleeps) and so does my MBP.

10. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

thanks everybody this helps..

I'm just new to this :apple:laptop thing and am probably a little to cautious with my new macbook..

but it looks as though I will be leaving her on at night

11. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I cuddle with my macbook and go to sleep peacefully. (ya rly)

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I always leave mine on and put it to sleep- I am usually very environmentally conscious but booting up a computer every day puts more wear and tear on the moving parts. (maybe it is just because my old flatscreen iMac grinds and groans when it books up every time. (My ibook laptop sort of does as well!!)

I reboot my Macs every week or so to keep the OS running smoothly. Make sure you run something like MacJanitor every so often if you leave it asleep each night- the maintance stuff is important and as I understand it is only done in the middle of the night and if the computer is awake??? Maybe this has changed?

13. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Does the battery take damage over time if left on 24/7 (plugged in, of course)?

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

lmfao i think i did that like the first 2 days hahahah

15. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Me too, me too. Sometimes I just want the whole bed to myself and it has to sleep on the desk, but. . it's lonely without my Macbook. ;)

Only for special occasions do I turn it off completely, like holidays etc.

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

No. They fixed that issue like, 30 years ago.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I turn mine off... sometimes I will let it just sleep but only if I have something Im working on...

18. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

But you didn't count the time needed to reopen all the stuff you had open.

I just close the lid and let it sleep. It consumes very little energy this way and is ready to work with immediately.

Never shut down my Macs. I only restart when necessary after some software updates, or when I need to boot to Windows in Macbook.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I leave mine plugged in and awake but I turn the brightness to zero. That way the blinking sleep light doesn't bug me all night long.

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I turn my Macs off for system updates, Boot Camp and that's it!

Oh and Kernel Panics. :D HA.

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I trun off my iBook every night. It gets really hot, even when it's sleeping, so I give it a break.

Call me overcautious, but I don't think it helps the computers life span if it's left on all the time, but maybe that's just me.

23. mr.light macrumors 6502

I rarely shut my iBook down. Five years and still going strong.

24. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

ive also debated this as well with my 2 month old penryn. Does it really matter? I shutdown since turning on takes 30 secs

25. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I keep mine on 24/7, sleeping it during commutes to and from work.

Though it's probably a good idea to reboot it once in a while. When my uptime hit 17 days, my iPod got stuck in a endless connected then disconnected loop with iTunes.