What to do with my G5 Quad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PapaGino, Dec 11, 2015.

1. PapaGino macrumors member

PapaGino

So a few years ago my dads work threw out about six G5 quads, all completely maxed out with 16gb ram and some with the Quadro FX 4500. I took one for myself and I use my G5 for some day to day tasks since then but I'm just wondering if there is really any programs I can run on this thing to test out it's power. I only used it for Sim City 4, Halo, and CS4. I have used Intel Macs for years just not Power PC ones so i don't know exactly what can run on it. Is there really any other programs or games I should try out on this G5?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Blender (3D software), GIMP (photo editing), server software, Handbrake, PPC media center software....

You could also load a bunch of classic games onit and play them through emulators like NES, SNES, ATARI..etc.

What else would you want to try to do with it?

3. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

I always wanted to explore with 3D modeling software lol. And game emulators sound like fun haha.

One thing i might look into is using it for is setting up a backup server or just a general network server for hosting media files if that's possible never got into this deep with OSX I normally do these things with 2012 R2. But I would like to try this on OSX for a change.

4. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Donate it to a school or a charity which helps job seekers?

5. RedCroissant Suspended

3D modeling is fun and playing old nintendo games is a blast. My kids actually like those more than the PS3 games that they also play.

A basic server is easy to do as long as you have file sharing enabled. I still use mine to stream all of my media to my Apple TV3.

6. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

I have thought of donating the extras but due to their age the schools don't them nor do any companies -_- lol. I'll have to look into the old games then for sure haha. As of now my G5 is getting is getting its internet from my IMac through its Ethernet port. I been trying to find a airport unit for the Quad but they are hard to come by since Apple changed how Airport card worked for the late 05 Quads. So right now I can only share files between the G5 and the IMac XD.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Well if you have access to an airport express or have an olde router laying around (it doesn't really matter what speed it is) you can set that router to extend your current network and just plug the Quad into it and you have internet now on the Quad and don't have to have it connected to the iMac.

You could also use homeplugs (powerline adapters).

My current setup is:

1. Apple wireless extreme base station
    2. Airport express extending the network
    3. ethernet cable from the express into my Quad.

Before that I was using homeplugs and even though it worked, I was never really satisfied with the solution.

8. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

I just tossed all my old gear a while back when i updated haha. I have a Netgear R6300, which is AC i just updated all my hardware to AC accept for apple products obviously. I should of kept the old router for exactly this. I been looking on ebay for older USB Wifi sticks that work with PPC macs i found a few but I just want to do further research to make 100% sure it works with PPC.

9. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If you can't be bothered with finding a PPC friendly USB wifi adapter, there are plenty of wireless extenders on the market with four ethernet ports with a price tag of >$30.
    I'm mind boggled of why you didn't keep spare gear around, I've always kept a spare router and modem around for troubleshooting.

10. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

It was a really bad Comtrend router i got from Fairpoint i always hated it lol i was glad to get rid of the thing. But yeah i should of kept it for the G5 haha.

11. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

If the router has support for both 2.4GHz an 5GHz bands, the 2.4GHz will work with the G5

12. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Yes my router has both bands, my G5 just does not have the Airport/Bluetooth card apple made as an-option for the late 2005s. Those cards now cost upwards of $80 which is insane for a Mac over 10 years old. Thats why im looking for a USB Wifi stick that supports PPC still.

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

14. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

For USB wireless adapters, I recommend the Netgear WNA1000m.

16. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

I did originally want a Netgear adapter since i also have a Netgear router. But i dont know if that would work with PPC macs unless there is a universal driver?

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Wi-Fi is a standard, therefore it does not matter if the adapter is made by Netgear, Linksys, etc. When dealing with these older operating systems, most often you will find that the manufacturer does not offer drivers for them. However, you can get drivers by looking up the chipset information for the adapter.

18. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Yeah i know about the WIFI standards and what not i just like brand matching if possible (just my OCD). But yeah there's a few that I'm looking at on ebay that are older WIFI USB adapters that say they are compatible with 10.5 and 10.4. The prices just range a lot so just making sure there is one for a good price that will work. I cant find anything on if the WNA1000m workling with 10.5.8 PCC I only see a few things about 10.7+.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would need to use the drivers for the internal chipset rather than from Netgear.

20. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Where would i find the drivers for the internal chipset?

21. domini99 macrumors member

domini99

G5 Quad damn!
    They're like goldbars over here and sell for over 600 bucks.

Meanwhile duals or older are thrown out like trash, and I pick them up and sometimes I find a working one.

22. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Yeah we got alot of them. They been sitting for years over the next few weeks I'm going to try and fix my six quads up so that they are all back in working order again. Most of them where used for less then a few months then put into storage for years until my dad got his hands on them and now they been sitting in my brothers basement for about two years or so (except mine which is at my house, I use a few times a week or so). I want to fix them up so other people can enjoy them there no use to me and my brother just sitting like how they are now.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Netgear WNA1000m is based off the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset. You can get drivers from here...

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So none of the Quads were in the trash since he took them? Whenever you are ready to sell one, shoot me a private message!

25. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Sweet thanks for the driver and yeah when they throw them out they go into a back room. My dad just goes by the room every now and then to see whats been tossed. When he found the G5s there where just at placed right next to each other in a row. He grabbed them quick since he had assumed they where mac pros(he didn't know how to tell the difference at the time XD). But yeah all the G5s are in mint condition, some time next week I might post a photo of all them in my room getting worked on lol. I cant wait its gonna be a lot of fun getting them running. Ill be sure to let you know when we got one ready.