Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What to Expect at October's Apple Event: New iPhone 12 Lineup, Smaller HomePod Mini, Wireless Chargers and More

Foreverbfc

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I'm very confused about the camera setup on the new iPhones. Some depict having 3 cameras and some show 3+lidar, thus having 4 circles with a flash in the middle. Did I miss a story/update on this?

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
LIDAR requires a space as big as a camera lens. So if it stays 3 then we are losing the zoom or the ultra wide, both of which would be a huge loss. Zoom and ultrawide are the biggest upgrade on a phone since maybe the first iPhone I had. They are functionally amazing useful. I left my real camera at home for a trip - there were times I wished I had it but so manny less than in the past because of these camera additions. I would never give either up for a feature with almost no real world utility like LIDAR. So.....if we get LIDAR we are getting 4 lens size circles on the back of the phone or Apple gives us all a sad.

Reactions: MrFootery

Cosmosent

macrumors 65832
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I believe the 5.4" iPhone 12 mini will be the BIG winner for Apple !

In fact, I believe many with BIGGER iPhones will Downsize to the "mini," just to try it out for a year.

Of the four, it's the most Novel, but also offers a nice upgrade/trade-in path.

5G needs another year, including at Apple, where next year's models will offer better 5G "power efficiency".

And who knows, maybe if the "mini" does really well, Apple will RE-consider their decision to NOT Report iPhone Unit Sales !

Remember, it was ONLY AFTER they had moved the iPhone product line too far UP-market, that they stopped reporting.

Ask yourself, when was the last time the least expensive new flagship iPhone was something you would consider ???

That could happen Tuesday !

It is something I am absolutely considering, Downsizing from an 11 Pro Max, for ONE year.

This ALL assumes Apple prices the "mini" appropriately, under $700 USD.

Last edited:

MiniApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
Interested in the HomePod Mini as a speaker with the lower price. Don‘t care about the voice assistant(s).
Curious how it sounds, being so Mini.

Still hoping for late addition power button TouchID to the 12 series iPhones, even if the all have FaceID.

JM

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2014
I do indeed :) I was thinking of exactly that money. Haha. Phil Schillers face.... lol. (Or whoever was announcing. They looked so puzzled as to why people were gasping, lol)

I doubt it would be as shocking as that moment, but an iPhone mini for the same price as an 11 last year is downright shocking... and no doubt reviewers will pick up on that.
Or the
When they announce no charging block, no speakers, no charging cord, and price increase because its ”good for the environment”.
oh BIG lol. I completely forgot about the no charging brick and headphones.

"you get the newest iphone beautifully crafted...." 🤯 Dual cameras. OLED screen. 5g...." 😄 "the smallest screen yet on a modern smartphone" 🤔 "all day battery life" 🤨 "no headphones. No charging brick" 😕 "all for only $699" 😒

"oh and it'll start with 64GB of storage" 😡

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
Honestly judging by the amount of leaks, and how accurate leaks have been in recent years, the iPhone 12 does NOT look like a major upgrade from the 11 Pro, except for the folks wanting the 5.4” model, which to me, is the most exciting model. It looks to be another great iPhone, but not really an exciting launch. Everyone said to wait for the iPhone 12 last year, but I am glad I went ahead and got the 11 Pro. The 11 Pro turns out to potentially be the last iPhone with a charging block...and 18W at that! The 2021 iPhone looks to be the one to wait for with 120Hz display, smaller notch, and probably much larger leaps in camera tech than the 11 Pro to 12 will probably be.

Last edited:

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Homepod looks great but may also have struggled because Siri leaves so much to be desired, and thus the "main interface" doesn't seem worth putting down the money...

Reactions: GuruZac

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I think it's really smart business to come up with an innovative new wireless charging product that compliments the removal of the charging adapter from all retail packaging. This will be a truly great accessory and many customers will be persuaded to adopt the technology. Apple did the same with the headphone port, and the introduction of the revolutionary AirPods.

This is the kind of impressive joined-up thinking you rarely see at other major corporations.

Pyrhonen

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
If there’s no headphones in da Iphone box we better get a homepod mini coupon/for free.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
What's the point of a speaker that small..... I wonder they're more so making a play at getting audio in/out interfacing to the Apple cloud rather than enjoyable music. Kinda like what amazon is doing.

There are a ton of small speakers already on the market - convenient to carry room to room, or take to the beach or whatever. Also the original was way too expensive when you can buy something for 1/6 the price.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I think it's really smart business to come up with an innovative new wireless charging product that compliments the removal of the charging adapter from all retail packaging. This will be a truly great accessory and many customers will be persuaded to adopt the technology. Apple did the same with the headphone port, and the introduction of the revolutionary AirPods.

This is the kind of impressive joined-up thinking you rarely see at other major corporations.

I believe wireless charging is hugely inefficient and not "green". The motivation seems to be the EU attack on different cables so Apple wants to avoid the proprietary cable connector.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I would love to see the Mac Silicon just to find out about the performance in comparison to similar Intel models.

There will probably be learning curve with a new product design. The CPU has to interact with all of the subsystems and the developer tools (Compiler) has to work with the new hardware. So there are many potential glitches. I would wait for at least 2 years before buying such a product so they can work the bugs out - and also optimize it, so it can show its potential

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Huge keynote coming. Lots of potential for these other products with the HomePod mini, Airtags (eventually), the 5.4 inch iPhone should back order almost immediately and then the studio headphones I’m interested to see how they compare to my Sony XM3’s and Audio Technica’s.

Reactions: GuruZac

Jkeith85

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2015
iPhone 11 Max Pro, air pods pro; Apple Watch series 4. Nothing here is worth me upgrading for, period. Step it up some apple, unreal innovation. The guy above me, really? What so huge about any of this

insomniac86

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
I quite like the HomePod... at $299 and upwards, its a little pricey, but I think its a great deal at $199. I wonder why they didn't aim for that price from that start, and what the plus/minuses are at selling it at that price. I need to get a second one, but money has been tight. I love the sound, and want to experience having a stereo HomePod setup.

A smaller one would be perfect for my bedroom.

My main issue with it has less to do with the device itself and more to do with the setup of Apple Music - when I ask a Siri to play a song, I may or may not get the version of the song that's in my library, or the version I want. It could be a duplicate in my library (for instance, I want it to play the album version but it plays a Greatest Hits edit version), or a version that's not in my library at all (like when a song appears on a hundred different boxsets, compilations, greatest hits album, etc.).

This screws with your playcounts and playlists if you're picky like me.

Spotify has exactly the same issue. Often requesting to play a song will play the “single” release and not from the album that I have added to my library. Do you think Apple could run a hash against songs and match the plays and requests based on that.

IIGS User

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Is it me, or does it seem like the difference in price between the 12 and the 12 pro simply isn't worth it?

Besides the camera, which I will admit I really don't care about, the only real difference seems to be the amount of RAM. That's if the rumors are correct.

the original rumors I heard were that the 12 wasn't going to include the MM wave 5G, and the Pro would. Now it seams as though both will, so the cost/benefit trade off eludes me.

Reactions: MrFootery

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Is it me, or does it seem like the difference in price between the 12 and the 12 pro simply isn't worth it?

Besides the camera, which I will admit I really don't care about, the only real difference seems to be the amount of RAM. That's if the rumors are correct.

the original rumors I heard were that the 12 wasn't going to include the MM wave 5G, and the Pro would. Now it seams as though both will, so the cost/benefit trade off eludes me.
Worth it or not, I get the new top model every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.