Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What to Expect at October's Apple Event: New iPhone 12 Lineup, Smaller HomePod Mini, Wireless Chargers and More

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I have a weird question based off this post, the 5g picture and the no 120 hz cross out over the phone picture appear to show smaller bezels that what the current gen offers.

Is that official based off leaked specs or is that just a render someone did here at macrumors or another website?

Im bummed about the notch not getting smaller but if the bezels shrink more I could deal upgrading from my X to the 12 pro max (which I assume will make the notch appear smaller since the screen is a bit bigger). Ideally I would really like the thumbnail photo of the blue iphone youtube video clip at the beginning of this post but being realistic that doesn't seem to be happening.

So, are we getting smaller bezels?

pelegri

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
I'm disappointed that the AirTags won't make it. It surely sounds like a security issue, most likely a variation of the vulnerability reported on the T2 chip. The timing and the details are consistent with that.

Reactions: MrFootery

Cosmosent

macrumors 65832
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Anybody know if the Chinese OLED manufacturer ever got approved by Apple ???

If I remember correctly, they would be sharing the 6.1" NON-Pro with LG, if they did.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.57.43 AM.png

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Anybody know if the Chinese OLED manufacturer ever got approved by Apple ???

If I remember correctly, they would be sharing the 6.1" NON-Pro with LG, if they did.

Yes, BOE was believed to be supplying 6.1" OLED panels and possibly 5.4" panels, as well. They were also slated to supply panels to Samsung for the Galaxy S21 series. However, their quality was deemed not acceptable and therefore both Apple and Samsung will not be using them this year.

BOE is still on Apple's supplier let for mid-2021 onwards and has built a dedicated iPhone OLED line (B11) for that purpose.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I quite like the HomePod... at $299 and upwards, its a little pricey, but I think its a great deal at $199. I wonder why they didn't aim for that price from that start, and what the plus/minuses are at selling it at that price. I need to get a second one, but money has been tight. I love the sound, and want to experience having a stereo HomePod setup.

A smaller one would be perfect for my bedroom.

My main issue with it has less to do with the device itself and more to do with the setup of Apple Music - when I ask a Siri to play a song, I may or may not get the version of the song that's in my library, or the version I want. It could be a duplicate in my library (for instance, I want it to play the album version but it plays a Greatest Hits edit version), or a version that's not in my library at all (like when a song appears on a hundred different boxsets, compilations, greatest hits album, etc.).

This screws with your playcounts and playlists if you're picky like me.
Apple should make the Homepod at $200 and the mini version at $129.
Make the mini very affordable so you can spread all over the house but probably they will not go for it.

cactuslick

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
I quite like the HomePod... at $299 and upwards, its a little pricey, but I think its a great deal at $199. I wonder why they didn't aim for that price from that start, and what the plus/minuses are at selling it at that price. I need to get a second one, but money has been tight. I love the sound, and want to experience having a stereo HomePod setup.

A smaller one would be perfect for my bedroom.

My main issue with it has less to do with the device itself and more to do with the setup of Apple Music - when I ask a Siri to play a song, I may or may not get the version of the song that's in my library, or the version I want. It could be a duplicate in my library (for instance, I want it to play the album version but it plays a Greatest Hits edit version), or a version that's not in my library at all (like when a song appears on a hundred different boxsets, compilations, greatest hits album, etc.).

This screws with your playcounts and playlists if you're picky like me.

What's even worse is when there's a completely different song or album with the same title and for some reason Siri picks the one that isn't in your library.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
I'm very curious about how the AirTags are going to work. IMHO, the biggest limitation to Tile trackers are the lack of widespread adoption. If AirTags' location can be forwarded though anyone with an iPhone, not just people with the app installed and running like Tile requires, then it could be very cool.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
I believe the 5.4" iPhone 12 mini will be the BIG winner for Apple !

In fact, I believe many with BIGGER iPhones will Downsize to the "mini," just to try it out for a year.

Of the four, it's the most Novel, but also offers a nice upgrade/trade-in path.

5G needs another year, including at Apple, where next year's models will offer better 5G "power efficiency".

And who knows, maybe if the "mini" does really well, Apple will RE-consider their decision to NOT Report iPhone Unit Sales !

Remember, it was ONLY AFTER they had moved the iPhone product line too far UP-market, that they stopped reporting.

Ask yourself, when was the last time the least expensive new flagship iPhone was something you would consider ???

That could happen Tuesday !

It is something I am absolutely considering, Downsizing from an 11 Pro Max, for ONE year.

This ALL assumes Apple prices the "mini" appropriately, under $700 USD.
All this. I am very much intrigued by the mini. I have a Pro and an SE and I just love the size of the SE, but the screen is just a tad small. The 5.4” screen could be the sweet spot for me. I ordered a mini case on amazon tonight just to see what the phone will feel like.

Mavman

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Other than getting ever slightly thinner bezels, what is there left to do? Plus, people have been talking about wanting the square body back for years, and the ipad pro, and now air, have the similar squared bodies.

Yep. even all the Samsung and google phones look similar. Unless Apple does a folding phone, its all internal from here on out for a while I assume

vmistery

Contributor
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Thanks to Covid the 11 has had a great run as the flagship, wonder if a bit like the X the 12 will only really be king for 10 ish months?

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
I'm very curious about how the AirTags are going to work. IMHO, the biggest limitation to Tile trackers are the lack of widespread adoption. If AirTags' location can be forwarded though anyone with an iPhone, not just people with the app installed and running like Tile requires, then it could be very cool.
I would expect that it’s going to work the same way that Find My works with Macs. If someone has an iPhone with BT on in proximity of a lost Mac, you are notified. You have no idea who notified you, just that where it is.

jarman92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2014
Does anybody else really want that tiny, palm-sized HomePod shown in the picture? 😅

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
So, newer iPhones will finally support 15W wireless charging?? Would be nice since they're dropping the 20W brick..... :]
I wish. How long has it been turtley 7.5???
[automerge]1602516638[/automerge]
When they announce no charging block, no speakers, no charging cord, and price increase because its ”good for the environment”.
And the box will be exquisitely thinnnnnnn :D

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So I guess we won't see any new ARM Macbooks unveiled tomorrow. shame...

Which is odd for an event who's tagline is "Hi, Speed" considering how much the A14 should whomp on an Intel Y-series in that department.

I guess the "speed" focus will be 5G, but considering how early that rollout is...

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I was wondering that as well. I can't imagine it would have much bass response at that size.

As for Arm Macs, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac mini is one of the first. Apple already made them for developers; all they'd need to do is put a newer processor in it.

There are many non-Apple speakers that small - you can get for $40 or so. Its actually pretty convenient to carry from room to room.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Remember that awful moment when they announced the Mac Pro display stand price 😂

yes - still shockingly expensive. With the economy teetering I hope they ease up on the Beverly Hills pricing model. Competition should come to play at some point - otherwise Congress and EU may be right to scrutinize them

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
With all the leaks over the past 12 hours, these didn’t turn out to be so ‘last minute’ 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.