Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
It takes courage to defy the laws of physics like that! 2018 is gonna be awesome!

View attachment 744290
The stand is made from uranium to use weight and a low centre of gravity to make up for the narrowness of the stand’s design. This materials choice comes with two added bonuses: the display is also self powered and the stand keeps you warm at night.

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Reasonable priced iPad mini 4 would do for me, £419 is just obscene for a smaller, A8 powered device compared to the £339 priced A9 powered standard iPad. (Note - I’m not interested in having 128GB either).

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I really feel like a 6.5 iphone x would be to big. I want a plus sized X but not that big.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I really feel like a 6.5 iphone x would be to big. I want a plus sized X but not that big.
A 6.5” display in the same aspect ratio as the iPhone X (19.5:9) would fit in the same size form factor as the 8 Plus.

But it would be harder to use since it’ll have minimal bezels. Trying to reach the corners in one handed use would be difficult for most, I think.

osuskates

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
"In 2017, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple was working on a higher-end MacBook Pro machine for professional users with 32GB RAM, set for a 2017 launch, but no such machine materialized. Whether there's actually such a product in the works remains to be seen."

Is it possible for a journalist to ask an Apple representative/spokesperson when we can expect to see a MacBook Pro with RAM expandability to 32+GB? I along with several others don't care so much about power consumption. I care about performance and a maximum of 16GB doesn't cut it in today's environments. Almost everywhere you go, you can find an outlet (planes, trains, buses, etc.), so I don't think this answer cuts it anymore.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Reasonable priced iPad mini 4 would do for me, £419 is just obscene for a smaller, A8 powered device compared to the £339 priced A9 powered standard iPad. (Note - I’m not interested in having 128GB either).
Not sure if you wanted more or less capacity than 128GB, but either way you won’t see anything different until the mini 5, which many say will never happen; they think the 7.9” platform is dead.

I actually think Apple will introduce a new mini. I think there’s enough demand for that form factor—plus it’s important to certain verticals—and it would be reasonably cheap for Apple to refresh it.

If they do release a mini 5, I’d expect a 5MP FaceTime camera, TouchID 2 and a processor bump to either A10X or A11 (whichever is lower cost, probably the A11). A 256GB version is a possibility, as would be 3GB RAM.

Beyond that I don’t foresee any likely upgrades. The A11 alone will give it three more years of shelf life, and Apple could sell it basically unchanged during that time (especially if they bumped the RAM to 3GB). I think the price could come down a bit, maybe the 128GB for $369 and the LTE for $499... but maybe not. You know how Apple is with their margins.

Last edited:
Reactions: d4zza

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Like 2017, 2018 promises to be a major year for Apple, with many new products on the horizon. We'll get Apple's first smart speaker -- the HomePod -- this year, along with a second-generation version of the iPhone X accompanied by a larger-screened version for those who want to go even bigger.

A new iPad Pro with Face ID is said to be in the works, and this is also the year when Apple's AirPower wireless charging mat will debut. Beyond that, we can expect Mac refreshes, new software, a new Apple Watch, and maybe that new modular Mac Pro.

Below, we've rounded up all of the products we're expecting to see from Apple in 2018 based on both current rumors that we've heard so far and past release information.

HomePod - Early 2018

HomePod is Apple's first Wi-Fi connected smart speaker, designed to compete with existing smart speakers like the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. It was originally meant to debut in December, but Apple delayed its launch to an unspecified date in "early 2018."

With HomePod, Apple focused on sound quality, with a 7 tweeter array, each with its own driver, and a 4-inch upward-facing woofer for crisp, distortion free sound. An A8 chip powers spatial awareness features, allowing the HomePod to analyze a room and then adjust the sound accordingly.

HomePod-on-shelf-800x451-800x451.jpg

Siri is built into HomePod, and there's integration with Apple Music for Apple Music subscribers. Using a six-microphone array, HomePod can detect Siri commands from anywhere in a room, so Siri can be used to play music, answer queries, and more.

We don't know exactly when HomePod will be released, but it should come out in the first few months of 2018. Apple plans to charge $349 for the speaker.

Read more about HomePod in our HomePod roundup.

Three New iPhones - September 2018

Apple introduced three iPhones in 2017 -- the iPhone X, the iPhone 8, and the iPhone 8 Plus -- and current rumors suggest we'll also see three new models in 2018.

The first iPhone we're expecting will be a followup to the iPhone X with the same 5.8-inch OLED display. Rumors suggest it will be accompanied by a second OLED iPhone, this one measuring in at 6.5 inches, which means it can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus."

Alongside these two OLED iPhones, Apple is also said to be planning to introduce a 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display, positioned as a more affordable device targeting the low-end and midrange markets with a starting price of $649 to $749 in the United States.

kuo-modems.jpg

Apple's planned 2018 iPhone lineup, via Ming-Chi Kuo
According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, all three of these iPhones will feature edge-to-edge displays, Face ID, and TrueDepth camera systems, which means the end of both the Home button and the Touch ID fingerprint sensor in new iPhone models for the time being.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect From Apple in 2018: Three New iPhones and iPad Pro With Face ID, HomePod, Refreshed Macs, and More

This rumor is exactly the reason why I was hesitant to join the X bandwagon. The 6.5 OLED screen will make it worthwhile to jump back on ditching my Note 8 or at the very least make me think long and hard of ditching it.

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Not sure if you wanted more or less capacity than 128GB, but either way you won’t see anything different until the mini 5, which many say will never happen; they think the 7.9” platform is dead.

I actually think Apple will introduce a new mini. I think there’s enough demand for that form factor—plus it’s important to certain verticals—and it would be reasonably cheap for Apple to refresh it.

32GB is more than enough for me at the moment. My iPad Mini 2 feels like it’s on its last legs performance wise. I do love this form factor as it fits in my jacket pocket. Genuinely feel it’s one of the best tech devices I’ve ever purchased. Just no idea what that UK price is about when compared to the standard size iPad and I refuse to spend that amount when technically it’s poorer than standard iPad.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
32GB is more than enough for me at the moment. My iPad Mini 2 feels like it’s on its last legs performance wise. I do love this form factor as it fits in my jacket pocket. Genuinely feel it’s one of the best tech devices I’ve ever purchased. Just no idea what that UK price is about when compared to the standard size iPad and I refuse to spend that amount when technically it’s poorer than standard iPad.
This is what's holding me back also.
An inadequately laid out, poorly maintained and obfuscated lineup, only instituted to milk existing concepts.
Where the mkt leader uses just 10/20% of its innovative potential to protect its current business.
This makes me urge for a post-Cook Apple more than any product or service. Those will only come after.

Last edited:
Reactions: otternonsense

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I'm notch interested in such an iPhone. When I've squeezed all the utility I can out of my 6S I might have to switch to Android eventually :(

burble

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
That macPro picture again, the screen will fall over, and the MacPro won't look anything like that.

And, a white mouse and keyboard!

So tired of seeing that crappy concept promoted. The monitor would never stand unless it had lead weights making it immovable. The case idea itself is horrible and would never accept modern graphics cards or additional hard drives. It's the exact opposite of modular. I wish they would stop using it everytime they post an article about a new Mac Pro. I like a more traditional tower concept like this so much better.

MacPro-2018-DarkTower-800x600.jpg

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
When the UX is worse it's a step backwards, nothing subjective there. For how I use the phone, this holds true.

Apple has in mind all potential users when they make decisions like FaceID vs TouchID. Whichever they choose, not everyone will be happy. You’re part of the 5 (or 10 or 20 or 40) percent for whom FaceID is worse than TouchID.

But does that mean Apple shouldn’t have used FaceID on the X?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am mostly interested in prices. I have been wanting an "X Plus", but definitely not for $1100+. If I am honest with myself, the X wasn't worth the price of entry. It is a very nice phone, but note enough for me to honestly justify the price leap. I am kicking myself even more now that the 6s plus would have been eligible for a $29 battery replacement.

Ah well. I am expecting to stick with the X for at least two, possiby three years and evaluate the situaton from there. We went from $650 to $1000 pretty quickly.

SiliconValleyTechie

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018

Like 2017, 2018 promises to be a major year for Apple, with many new products on the horizon. We'll get Apple's first smart speaker -- the HomePod -- this year, along with a second-generation version of the iPhone X accompanied by a larger-screened version for those who want to go even bigger.

A new iPad Pro with Face ID is said to be in the works, and this is also the year when Apple's AirPower wireless charging mat will debut. Beyond that, we can expect Mac refreshes, new software, a new Apple Watch, and maybe that new modular Mac Pro.

Below, we've rounded up all of the products we're expecting to see from Apple in 2018 based on both current rumors that we've heard so far and past release information.

HomePod - Early 2018

HomePod is Apple's first Wi-Fi connected smart speaker, designed to compete with existing smart speakers like the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. It was originally meant to debut in December, but Apple delayed its launch to an unspecified date in "early 2018."

With HomePod, Apple focused on sound quality, with a 7 tweeter array, each with its own driver, and a 4-inch upward-facing woofer for crisp, distortion free sound. An A8 chip powers spatial awareness features, allowing the HomePod to analyze a room and then adjust the sound accordingly.

Siri is built into HomePod, and there's integration with Apple Music for Apple Music subscribers. Using a six-microphone array, HomePod can detect Siri commands from anywhere in a room, so Siri can be used to play music, answer queries, and more.

We don't know exactly when HomePod will be released, but it should come out in the first few months of 2018. Apple plans to charge $349 for the speaker.

Apple introduced three iPhones in 2017 -- the iPhone X, the iPhone 8, and the iPhone 8 Plus -- and current rumors suggest we'll also see three new models in 2018.

The first iPhone we're expecting will be a followup to the iPhone X with the same 5.8-inch OLED display. Rumors suggest it will be accompanied by a second OLED iPhone, this one measuring in at 6.5 inches, which means it can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus."

Alongside these two OLED iPhones, Apple is also said to be planning to introduce a 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display, positioned as a more affordable device targeting the low-end and midrange markets with a starting price of $649 to $749 in the United States.

kuo-modems.jpg

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, all three of these iPhones will feature edge-to-edge displays, Face ID, and TrueDepth camera systems, which means the end of both the Home button and the Touch ID fingerprint sensor in new iPhone models for the time being.

Article Link: What to Expect From Apple in 2018: Three New iPhones and iPad Pro With Face ID, HomePod, Refreshed Macs, and More

I know that people seem to love faceID and the hype is still raging for the animoji's but I went from an iphone 7 to and iphone 8 last year because the lack of touchID and the lackluster features of the iphoneX's touted AR functionality proved way less valuable than the 1249 dollar price tag (256GB). I love iOS, but if this is the new direction for apple, I will stick to mac's and ipads, but run a pixel phone moving forward.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
  • #1 REQUEST: make Siri the #1 personal assistant product/brand in the world. This starts with wayyyyyy better Siri voice recognition and expanded capabilities. Siri should be the best in the industry, period, including greater integration with all of their own apps as well as expanded integration with third party apps and devices. They need to stop allowing privacy concerns to hinder them and innovate some kind of anonymous encryption (or another solution) that allows more work to be done in the cloud to increase power and accuracy. Apple users should not be second class citizens with personal assistants.
  • Make Apple services & software #1. Embrace an evolved business model across the board that says that every service they offer (Maps, Siri, email, photos, iCloud files, etc.) will be the BEST in its category, and that these superior services are ONLY available to people who buy Apple hardware.
  • AirPods that acknowledge that everyone’s ears are different and come w/ adjustable tips (or in multiple sizes)
  • Affordable HomePod Minis to scatter through the house
  • MacBook Pro with more RAM
  • iPhone X plus
  • New Mac Mini
  • New 12.9” iPad Pro (w/ Face ID and TrueTone and 3D Touch and Pencil storage)
  • New iPad Mini Pro (w/ Face ID and TrueTone and 3D Touch and Pencil storage)
  • New Pencil 2 w/ a way to physically attach/store it on an iPad (a groove, a magnet, something)
  • iOS Calendar: ability to copy & paste appointments (should have been in iOS 1)
  • iOS: ability to arrange app icons in whatever way you want on the screen
  • iOS Files app: ability to put folders inside of folders inside of folders, just like every other major file system
  • Apple Music: an option to have real-time lyrics displayed when playing a song (like on Music Match app)
  • Apple Music: real, innovative & usable social functions
  • Large, 4K or higher standalone display
  • New Airport lineup including mesh network devices
  • Deliver on promise of iCloud Message sync/backup
  • Dark theme option throughout iOS (too much white)
  • Multiple faces for Face ID
  • Podcast app for Apple Watch
  • Have more store loyalty cards in Apple Pay, and have them automatically attached to every transaction you make at that store, so you only need to do one action (pay) to earn your points or get loyalty benefits (instead of a separate swipe for the loyalty card).
  • Option to “opt in” and share your buying habits with a specific retailer (in order to gain more benefits and loyalty card possibilities)
  • 100% dedication to professionals, with true communication, transparency & long-term software and hardware commitment
  • Buy Adobe, already
  • And last but not least... a 17” MacBook Pro.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Agree with the above in terms of Siri

The HomePod could be massive hit for music we just need Siri to be on par with google assistant. No reason it can’t be. Apple need to just do more with it. They have kind of let down that side of things while the comp have gone from strength to strength

Reactions: sidewinder3000

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Depending on your requirements, the 12” MacBook can be a pretty decent update to the Air.

One big gripe about the MacBook is the lack of ports. I dabble in photography and really wish they'd put a SDXC card slot on the MacBook. And I just don't have enough USB-C stuff laying around yet. And I really wish they'd put a Magsafe plug on that thing (or anything-safe).

Eventually I'll get something new. :)

Reactions: dark_skies

kgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018

HomePod - Early 2018

kuo-modems.jpg

[doublepost=1514967968][/doublepost]a Mac version (and iPad version) of Health app, look at stats and/or input on a bigger screen than just an iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.