What to Expect From Apple in 2018: Three New iPhones and iPad Pro With Face ID, HomePod, Refreshed Macs, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2017.

1. makitango macrumors regular

I planned to upgrade to the X, but I struggled with the notch initially. I was finally able to live with the trade-offs because I prefer playing games on my iPad mini (an update, please, even the mini 4 gets too slow sometimes) and I rarely watch movies, so notch-wise I would be okay with it (I'd still prefer transparent pixel technology, but I understand the tech may not be as advanced yet). What made me decide against it was how Stainless Steel was implemented. I own the original Apple Watch in Space Black with the DLC-coated Stainless Steel. It met quite a few dozen doorways and sharp edges yet refused to get a single tiny scratch, and I was impressed. I wanted to upgrade because I first saw an upgrade to Aluminium 7000, and it elevated the build quality. But since it's not DLC-coated, it's no deal for me as I do not want to pay more for a device which has severely less resilience against scratches.

It's 1350 € in Europe (it's kind of an additional insult given the trade course) if you consider having more than 64 gigabytes of data minus the OS install and "other" size. On top, Apple is silently downgrading their Stainless Steel materials after they already supposedly lowered production quality of Face ID sensors. OLED brightness is a subject of degradation and I hope this year's supposed LCD model with Aluminium 7000 has no major trade-offs (inductive charging being more of a gadget feature than actually being useful), as I have yet to find out if I can live with a 6.1" smartphone.
    I just hope they consider easing up just a tiny bit on the margins to keep a certain level of build quality.

2. dark_skies macrumors newbie

dark_skies

I believe consumption is important but the ability to use 32 GB is more important. I am still, perhaps foolishly, hoping for a pro-MBP (redundant, yes) with the capability for 32 GB of RAM and - hope springs eternal? - a SDXC card slot again. For pro / semi-pro photography and videography, quite a lot still goes onto (e.g. UHS-II) cards and will continue to do so - think the Nikon d850 and Panasonic AU-EVA1.

3. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Great. You’ve made your personal decision. So why do the rest of us have to hear about it over and over again? Apple isn’t going to change trajectory to make you happy so MOVE ON!

4. wmrs3211 macrumors newbie

wmrs3211

--- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2018 ---
    I expect the new release comes very fast. :) Keep sharing this wonderful articles. Visit Nexter.org for more interesting news.

5. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

I honestly do not think Apple will put a 1080p display on the 6.1" iPhone LCD model. I think it will be a different resolution to adjust to a bigger device. FaceID on each 2018 iPhone makes me happy since that means the 2018 models can get closer to having more uniform iOS updates & software consistency.

6. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

What to expect in 2018?

More throttling.

Sorry, I couldn't help. :p

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Wonder if the 6.1 inch LCD will have Face ID or not

8. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

It should. If the 2018 iPhones are too pricey and iOS 12 is bad, I’ll go with LG/HTC/Google to get a 2018 phone.

9. Bacillus, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

Bacillus macrumors 68020

Bacillus

Better move on with a better CEO that delivers stuff that any reasonable mind would expect.
    Did that grey pigeon, with his endless pipeline, expect us to hang our Christmas trees with dongles or with iMacPros ?
    Apart from the standard repertoire, product delay has become the norm:
    HomePod, AirPower, AirPods 2, iMessages in the Dark, Airplay 2, Mac Mini v3., MacPro modular, AppleCar (target?), iTV (target?), MagicKeyboard w/TouchBar, ApplePencil for iPhone, ForceTouch on iPad, iPad Mini 5... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The disorder is comparable to the Amelio/Performa era.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2018 ---
    They expected the AirPod revolution not to have started w/o the lack of a headphone jack.
    That's visionary salesmanship of the "feet in the doorstep"-category.

10. Hot Apple Cider macrumors newbie

Hot Apple Cider

How much confidence is there in the iPad redesign rumor? Is it really going bezel free?

11. TaNeasha macrumors newbie

TaNeasha

--- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    I just want IOS to have live messaging capabilities, equal to or greater than that on the Galaxy 8.