Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I have an S4 and was thinking I'd upgrade this year because I'd love the always-on screen and O2 sensor, but that design... Oof. I reserve the right to change my mind after we see the final product of course, but for now that iPhone-4-on-a-watchstrap look is a nonstarter for me. Might get an S6 and just ride out this fad.
Always on is nice.

O2 sensor reports like 97-99% every time. If you're healthy with no underlying health issues, I don't think you'd get much value from this sensor.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
If they’re truly going to do something new, why not add significantly to the display- like with a cuff-style watch? I know I saw the most amazing one from a sci-fi movie, which I think was made by Seiko, but despite searching for it I can’t find it now. I think it looks something like the ones I’m attaching. But I could use more screen real estate. My aging eyes would definitely like to have much more space to view larger fonts, more details, and a hell of a lot more data. It would also give much more interior volume for a Lipo battery.
1630107384131.png

The bottom one was made, the top is a concept (from Final Fantasy the spirits within)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
A more powerful taptic engine, please! I always miss notifications while I'm walking or biking.

NO PLEASE NO!!! I hate the 'phantom taps' I keep getting. I swear this thing just taps at random moments just to see if I'm still alive/awake. If it were stronger, it would be very much more annoying. VERY much more annoying...

Why does it do that? *TAP* *TAP* 'You still alive? I need attention! Are you ignoring me?!?!'

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
NO PLEASE NO!!! I hate the 'phantom taps' I keep getting. I swear this thing just taps at random moments just to see if I'm still alive/awake. If it were stronger, it would be very much more annoying. VERY much more annoying...

Why does it do that? *TAP* *TAP* 'You still alive? I need attention! Are you ignoring me?!?!'
Check the chime setting. You might have it set to tap on the hour.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
I really want a better way to delete text messages off the watch. I guess that is more Watch OS then the model but maybe it won't be as clunky and slow a process as it is on my S4.

what kind of a serial killer takes the time to go through and delete messages?

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012

Apple in just a few weeks is expected to release the Apple Watch Series 7 alongside new iPhone 13 models, and it's looking like this could be one of the most exciting design updates we've had to the Apple Watch in a few years.

We're not expecting new health features this year, and if there are new health sensors, Apple has kept them under wraps, but multiple rumors have indicated that the Apple Watch Series 7 is getting a new design.

The upcoming Apple Watch could feature a flat-edged design that's similar to the design of the iPhone 12 and the iPad Pro. Leaked renders said to be based on CAD drawings have depicted iPhone-12 style flat curves, a thinner Digital Crown, and new speaker design on the left side of the watch.

91mmobile-apple-watch-series-1.jpg

Apple Watch Series 7 render from 91Mobiles

Bloomberg says the Apple Watch will have thinner display bezels with the display using a new lamination technique that brings it closer to the front cover, and with this new casing and display technology, the upcoming models are expected to come in 41mm and 45mm sizes, just a bit larger than the current 40mm and 44mm size options.

The display of the 45mm model measures in at 1.8 inches according to rumors, up from the 1.73-inch display in the prior model. We don't yet know the size of the 41mm model, but it's likely to see a similar small size increase.

Rumors have been mixed on thickness. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that the Apple Watch could be a bit thicker overall, but not in a way that's noticeable to users, but leaked renders suggested it would be 1.7mm thinner, which is a decent thickness decrease. We'll have to wait to see on the exact casing dimensions.

Apple is rumored to be considering new color options for the Series 7 and it could come in a green aluminum shade. Last year, Apple introduced the Apple Watch Series 6 in blue aluminum.

Inside, the Apple Watch Series 7 will feature an upgraded S7 chip that could use double-sided technology to cut down on its size. The smaller S7 chip could leave more room for additional battery life and other components, and the new Apple Watch is expected to gain improved wireless connectivity and a better U1 Ultra Wideband chip.

There's a possibility that we could get a new, more durable version of the Apple Watch this year. Bloomberg says that Apple is considering a rugged version of the Apple Watch that's aimed at athletes, hikers, and others who are more likely to damage their Apple Watches. It's not clear if this model is coming in 2021 or 2022, though.

As for new software, the Apple Watch Series 7 will run watchOS 8, which adds Focus mode, new Mindfulness features, Home and Wallet improvements, and more. Apple will also add new "Time to Run" and "Audio Meditation" features that will join the "Time to Walk" feature released earlier this year.

Based on past launch dates, the most likely date for the event that will see the unveiling of the Apple Watch Series 7 and the iPhone 13 models is Tuesday, September 14, but the week after that is also a possibility. Either way, we don't have much longer to wait before Apple reveals the first of its fall device launch lineup.

Article Link: What to Expect From the Apple Wat

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
God that watch looks stupid. I’ll rock my AW6 Titanium till it dies.
ghfghghgf.jpg

Last edited:

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
The big surprise when these come out will be that this whole squared-off-sides Apple Watch redesign idea has been nothing but a red herring. Mark my words. That said, I think this new watch will be full of nice surprises.

Last edited:

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Yay, a new design that catches your sleeves and whatever else much better than the previous design! That's exactly what I've been looking for. I still think I'll wait for the next year's model and hope they add some extra spikes to the corners so it'd be even more uncomfortable to wear. I don't feel that's quite enough.

Not to mention it's fugly.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Yes. Being disturbed is sort of the whole point of notifications.
No. I want to be informed at times I feel I want to be informed. I don't want a single extra notification during my exercise. I'd rather turn off all the useless extras it throws at me constantly during a run ("you've run yet another km! yay, I'll notify you in a few minutes of the next one! You'll be getting a dozen more of these shortly!").

It'd be lovely if you had (much) more control over how the watch works. I can turn on the do not disturb mode automatically, but I'd want it to turn on the whatever theatre mode so it'd turn off the display, too. It's WAY too bright during the night, it lights up the entire bedroom. Now I'm forced to do that every evening and then change it back again in the morning so scheduled DnD doesn't mean anything. At least I finally found the DnD during workout - we'll see how that works. If only I could get it to stop posting me useless stats constantly. If I want to see how far I've run I can just look at the screen. Constant buzzing on my wrist is just distracting.

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
Check the chime setting. You might have it set to tap on the hour.
The chime setting is turned off on mine. Yet during my sleep, my watch will occasionally tap me on my wrist. It doesn't happen every night, fortunately. But I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it.

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013

Same problem here. I mostly notice it during sleep when my watch makes me wake up. It doesn't happen at times where my heart rate goes below the warning threshold. I also can't find any messages around the time that my watch wakes me up. I haven't been able to find any reason for the random taps.

• Sad
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
No. I want to be informed at times I feel I want to be informed. I don't want a single extra notification during my exercise. I'd rather turn off all the useless extras it throws at me constantly during a run ("you've run yet another km! yay, I'll notify you in a few minutes of the next one! You'll be getting a dozen more of these shortly!").

It'd be lovely if you had (much) more control over how the watch works. I can turn on the do not disturb mode automatically, but I'd want it to turn on the whatever theatre mode so it'd turn off the display, too. It's WAY too bright during the night, it lights up the entire bedroom. Now I'm forced to do that every evening and then change it back again in the morning so scheduled DnD doesn't mean anything. At least I finally found the DnD during workout - we'll see how that works. If only I could get it to stop posting me useless stats constantly. If I want to see how far I've run I can just look at the screen. Constant buzzing on my wrist is just distracting.
There are a lot of options to control notifications, also for during runs. I have turned off all those useless extras as far as possible. There are still places where I would like to turn off notifications. As far as I understand, iOS 15 will allow yet more control over notifications. I will find out in due time.

I used to enable theatre mode manually as well. I have switched to the Apple sleep schedule. That automatically turns on a sleep mode that turns off the screen automatically, and that turns on the screen automatically in the morning. This works well for me. Have you tried that?

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
With the rumours quite a few months back that various new health sensors might be coming I admit at least a little bit of disappointment that it is now pretty clear none of that will be happening in 2021 but there is one thing I still hope for that would be a very valuable upgrade to the health monitoring for me and that is a next-generation blood oxygen sensor. Apple went from gen 1 to gen 2 on the heart rate/ECG sensor so I really hope that history repeats with the blood-ox sensor.

I bought my first Apple watch last year with, being in the midst of the pandemic at the time, the blood-ox sensor being a big plus point for me. Unfortunately I soon found out that this first gen sensor is so inaccurate, especially when doing its automated background readings, that it might as well not even be there. If Apple could improve the blood-ox monitoring, maybe making it more tolerant of wrist movements while taking a reading so that the automatic background readings were a lot more accurate, that would almost be a new sensor for me since, as mentioned, I find the current one next to useless.

Laplace22

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Have had 2 Apple watches, the first one and Series 5 (nike edition with GSM). First one, the battery suddenly expanded, didnt get it on warrenty even though the watch otherwise looked perfect. Second one, the screen made a noise sitting at my desk and it was cracked and it stopped working. Also not covered by warranty. Got pissed and bought a Garmin Forerunner 745 watch instead and havent looked back tbh. Significantly cheaper, offline spotify (which wasnt an option at the time for AW), better training profiles for combined indoor/outdoor training, track running incl interval, run predictions and training guides and features like barometer. Not to mention it lasts 1 week between charges, even when I train 1 hour, 5 days a week. If I bought the Phenix 6 with solar, you basically never have to charge your watch ever. Notifications from iPhone apps works just as good. Airpods works great with it for running. No touch screen which I first would put as a con but after use I just love it. Not having to lock the screen when running is a bliss as you can access your data while running without the worry the sessions is accidentally cancelled/stopped which happened too often.

Trade offs: Since everything else I have is Apple, the sync is just not as smooth. Data is not pushed but manually synced when you open the app. Garmin wants to compete on owning the data so instead of using Apple health for central storage you end up with Garmin eco system which just isnt as good for other stuff than training where its much better. No e-sim on Garmin which would be great.

What I want in a watch:
Apple eco system.
1 week battery time! (I go on many hikes and trips so bringing a power pack for both phone and watch is something I dont want to do). Would trade more weight for battery life any day of the week.
Better training profiles. The feedback and stats on your training just isnt good enough from Apple.
Protected screen. (On Garmin watches the screen isnt the highest point. With AW, you can even destroy the screen from the side with the current design which is just awful.
No touch screen (alternatively a slide button to fast lock/unlock the screen)
Design-wise I dont care too much how it looks, round or squared but it could look something more like a traditional watch.
Will this happen, probably not so Ill still to my Garmin, at least until battery life is up to par with others.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Around half a year ago I stopped wearing my Apple Watch (Series 6). Every morning, when I pick one of my watches for the day, I just go for one of my "old-school" watches instead. The AW just feels so bland, too-comon and boring. I have fallen out of love for it.

Unfortunately this redesign does not look like it will fix that for me.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Is cellular worth the price hike if you don’t run and your phone is typically close to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.