Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cwoods

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
Unlikely but… along with the new Apple TV launch a new version of Apple TV+ that has a live tv streaming option (similar to Hulu Live or Sling) or a way to use your existing cable service through Apple TV similar to what Xbox did.

Reactions: Evvie

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm still using my ATV4 (2015). It's still getting support although I don't know if it will get tvOS 17? Pricing is really an issue because similar streaming boxes are selling for a third the price. I have the 4K Chromecast and while the performance is somewhat lacking, I actually prefer the layout of Google TV and they recently updated the UI. I find the UI on ATV a little too clinical and drab. It's not until you launch the ATV+ app where it gets better.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Will it work with 21:9 ultrawides, or millions of Apple’s own now useless 16:10 displays?

Of course not, that would make it more useful than a single use case.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmcbhi

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
No DTS and ATMOS pass-through, no HDMI 2.1 4K 120hz UI so no go. Tim Apple can rub his nose on my feet yet I won't buy unless these features show up.
I agree those are needed. Just DTS/ATMOS would literally deprecate the Nvidia Shield their main competitor in that space, I do not understand why Apple stubbornly insist to keep their product inferior.

I don't mind as of now because I still have an old TV, but when I'm upgrading I want to have a top Apple TV to upgrade to which support the newest TVs to the full extent of their capacities.

Also add Ultra Wideband to the remote. I can't believe we're already 2 iterations in and this is still not a thing.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
They should just focus on getting the price lower and lower if possible. Even the very first "modern" tvOS device, Apple TV HD model with the A8, was and is more powerful than anything on the market as far as I know (maybe not the Nvidia Shield, but all other models since are).

I wonder if a very cheap <$50 model as the standard and an "Apple TV Pro" would not be a bad strategy. It's very Apple while still letting them compete with Amazon and Roku. The price/marketshare is their biggest problem that needs to be overcome somehow.

I also wonder if it would be possible for a "tVOS" smart tv to be sold, there is precedent with CarPlay not necessarily being sold on Apple hardware.

Last edited:

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
I think going after an even cheaper price point is a mistake. Already removing the fan and making changes to the remote (removed the membrane under the buttons) felt like a step backwards in quality imo.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I wonder if the new version will be a 'standard' lower cost version to fit into an expanded lineup alongside a new 'Pro' version that includes HomePod & FaceTime hardware features?
Do those really count as "pro" features? I would be expecting something more along the lines of supporting more ports like optical.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Can you elaborate? I'm within a month or two of buying a 2022 AppleTV so knowing what to expect beforehand would be nice.
For the lair party software update have resolved this but when brand new there were issues with the remotE losing connection constantly. While it still happened every once in a while it’s not as bad as when this device first came out.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My favorite part about my Apple TV is that Netflix has not been able to block me from having access yet (my father in Mexico made his house the „home“ even tho I am the one paying for it!)

ijordano

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
So basically nothing is rumoured to change. Faster processor? For what? 😂

Give it a USB C port for external hard drives and optical audio out

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
At this point, its mostly down to software features.

I would love for true audio passthrough rather than the Dolby MAT stuff for local media (served via Plex app)... THis would allow TrueHD Atmos and DTS/DTS-MA and DTS-X.... also stop the forced resampling all audio to 48Hz... if playing music from Apple Music lossless, leave it as 44.1Khz (or HiRes even). On the video side more varied Dolby Vision profile support... and not sure if the hardware actually supports it or not, but AV1 codec support...

Otherwise allow downloads of from Netflix/Amazon etc for offline use like you can with the apps for taking to the cottage or somewhere without wifi to stream... 128GB is wasted otherwise.

More integration as a home hub... the Thread radios in them position them to be this, homekit is my Frontend/UI of choice for my smarthome...

02-serious-stent

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2021
How about letting me plug in my USB-C camera into the USB-C port? Too much to ask? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Current solution is so unnecessarily convoluted and the obvious solution is so simple.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't see the point in getting this under $100 in this day and age unless they're trying to encourage people to throw them out every year and replace them-- better to just add more capability and lengthen the refresh cycle. Apple's USB-C to HDMI for Mac and iPad is $70-- not because it costs that to make, but because they don't see it as worth making, packaging, stocking, and shipping for less than that.

I think Apple sees this as their slow motion entrance into console gaming, they should focus on that-- give it a processor that does that job and keep building out their gaming APIs.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
For starters, the current 4K is significantly faster than the first gen and second gen 4K. The 1st gen 4K had HDR, second gen HDR10, and 3rd gen HDR10+. With TV’s that support the standard, it makes a big difference.
I can’t think of much more they can do with it other than making minor improvements to the remote perhaps, dropping in the slightly faster A16 and reducing the price maybe? The current Apple TV 4K which I own is pretty much peak and even overpowered for what people primarily use it for. Unless Apple wants to take the gaming path competing with SONY and MS, but that’s unlikely.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I’ve never bought an Apple TV before, but if it somehow gets expanded into some sort of combo-HomePod/soundbar/FaceTime camera type device, I’d be verrrry interested.

evil0ne

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
If they increase the Bluetooth connection limit I'll be interested in a new device (which could probably be done on existing devices via software). Until then my existing units are all just fine. Unlike their other hardware (Laptop, Phone, Watch) I don't jump to replace them on a yearly basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.