what to upgrade to from 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kofman13, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kofman13 macrumors member

I have had the 3GS since its release. it has served me well, but i think its time for an upgrade.
    I am on straight talk to I have to buy phones full price.
    Here are my options"
    Buy a used iphone 4S for about $350-400
    Buy a brand new iphone 5 for $650 or whatever once you can buy full price.
    Or just keep using my 3GS until the NEXT iphone (5S or whatever it is going to be called) since in my experience, the best iphones were the "S" upgrades ( 3GS. 4S, etc)

When deciding between 4S and 5, im thinking, ive had this 3GS so long, why not just upgrade to the best out there right now.
    But i Could save 300$ and get a 4S...
    I recently tried an iphone 5 in person and was blown away by the body of it alone..
    P.S. just checked and 4S is $549 from apple, not much cheaper than the 5 will probably be
    what are your opinions and suggestions for me? i know either of these would be an amazin upgrade from my 3GS, but is the iphone 5 that much better than the 4S?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You sound like the type of person that isn't bothered for not owning the latest and greatest. I'd recommend you buy a good condition used iPhone 4S. It's a big upgrade from your 3GS and will serve you well.

3. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

If you want a device that can satisfy you with for at least 2 years, I would recommend the new iPhone 5. Its A6 chip is twice faster than what's in the iPhone 4S, and the larger screen makes it much better for note taking, games, all many other types of applications.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, you have hold it out for three years with the iPhone 3GS. I'd get the iPhone 5 if you are planning to hold it for another three years.

5. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

hmm you guys make some good points.
    is the iphone 5 even available off contract yet? doesn't show the choice to buy off contract in the apple store like it does with the 4S

6. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

If comparing an unlocked 4S and 5 from Apple the difference is $100 (between the two 16GBs)

I've had both a 4S and now a 5 and it might be smarter for you to go with the 4S (if you want to use that $100 on something else). Now, thats not to say I don't love my 5, because I really do. The bigger screen, LTE (Verizon Unlimited ftw), and the (slightly) faster speed is what made me upgrade. But for you, and please correct me if I'm wrong, wont have LTE. If you do though then definitely go 5.

Honestly though, coming from a 3GS you'll love the 4S too. That Retina screen will blow you away and the upgrade in processor and RAM will too.

So if you have the extra $100 to spend go for the 5. But if that $100 can go towards something more important you'll still love the 4S too.

(comparing iOS 6 on both devices is negligible. Both are practically the same. The 5 is more future proof though)

7. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

If you are eligible for upgrade grab a on-contract 5. If not grab a 4S of Craigslist or something. Even a broke one would be ok becuase repair costs aren't to bad.

8. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

i am on straight talk, which runs on AT&T, but i have to get a no- contract phone. if i get a iphone 5, its going to be brand new, and if iphone 4s i might buy from a friend for $375... so between those two its a big price difference...

But after 3 years of not upgrading i kind of feel like getting the best

9. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I suppose this will vary in different markets, but you can find folks selling them $250-300 on my local craigslist (who have realistic selling expectations)

10. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

the problem is that im afraid of craigslist lol. risk of stolen/blacklisted phones

11. ThatsMeRight, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

How long are you going to keep your next iPhone? The iPhone 5 will last a year longer than the iPhone 4S (looking at software updates).

Again, I'd go for an iPhone 5. It's more durable (because the back isn't made out of glass), it's got LTE (if that matters to you), this powerful new A6 chip.

Also, the 4-inch display. I don't know how developers will deal with it, but the 4-inch display is here for the years to come and I wouldn't be surprised to see some iPhone 5-exclusive apps. iPhone 5-only apps won't run on an iPhone 4(S), but iPhone 4(S) apps will definitely run on an iPhone 5.

12. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, id like to hold onto my next phone for at least 2, more likely 3 years. like i did with my 3GS

13. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

for Verizon/Sprint, you can avoid stolen/blacklisted phone by verifying IMEI with them before buying. for AT&T, it should have no problems just popping in your AT&T sim -- but I'd probably call and verify IMEI anyways too to avoid risk of it possibly being blacklisted in the future.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you have good LTE coverage where you are, I'd go with the 5. That is the most significant difference between the two. With LTE, the thing just flies.

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, in that case, I'd get the iPhone 5. The newer a model is, the longer it is supported and the more features it get. :)

16. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You've already expressed your interest in having the latest.

Therefore go with the 5.

17. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

From a 3GS, you should go to a SG3 :D .... Then you will truly have the latest and greatest

18. XboxMySocks, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Buy verizon. They're unlocked :cool: Or buy from Canadian store and get shipped from canada to your address

I think he'd rather have a phone that doesn't have its own gravitational field:confused:

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The 4 and the 4s are very close. Have you considered that?

20. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I upgraded from my iPhone 3GS to a shiny new iPhone 5. All I can say is wow, the difference is HUGE.

21. macaronia macrumors newbie

Go for the iP5 from 3GS, I did. After three years you owe it to yourself!
    The difference in colours and clarity is unbelievable, no more black bars when playing YouTube videos, not to mention how snappy and refreshing is to use. Then you will have Seri, 3D maps... etc.

22. czar44 macrumors member

Looks like you can get a used 4S on eBay for about $300.

One big difference I see between the 4S and 5 is battery life. My battery life was awful on the 4S and is much improved on the 5. But I'm on my phone all day for work. And use a lot of data.

23. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

My son is using my iPhone 3Gs that I got in December 2009. It is still working perfectly. I gave it to him in December 2010 when I upgraded to an iPhone 4. Next month he will get the iPhone 4 because I upgraded to an iPhone 5. I can say from personal experience that my iPhone 4 is such a good device that I had to really think about whether I wanted to spend the $$$ to upgrade. If the owner of the iPhone 4s has been satisfied with the performance & reliability of the device, you may be satisfied as well and also be able to wait it out until the next iPhone upgrade, whenever that is. :)

Also, if the iPhone 4s hasn't been upgraded to iOS 6, you'll still have Google Maps and not the new app.

My [​IMG]

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'd be patient & wait.

The blogosphere is beginning to buzz about the upcoming iPhone 6. The word I've read is due to the public embarrassment over Apple Maps, horrid battery life, ScuffGate, and other troubles, Apple is quite likely to kill off iP5 early, replacing it with a greatly improved iPhone 6.

My iP5 experience was marginal at best so I've taken mine offline & returned to my excellent, ultra reliable, Google Maps equipped iPhone 4S.

I'm excited!

25. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

maybe. wouldnt it be called 5S?