What TV Series Are You Watching

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Southern Dad, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have a Netflix account and I'm not afraid to abuse it. I just finished the series West Wing and I'm now looking for a new series to watch. What series is everyone watching and is it good?

Attached Files:

2. dingster1 macrumors regular

Recommended: Poirot, Auschwitz, Inside the Nazi State, House, Call the Midwife (ladies), Walking with Dinosaurs, Beasts, and Monsters just for starters

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Veep, True Detective (if you have HBO or HBOGo)

Since you have Netflix: House of Cards is awesome!

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've watched House of Cards, which is what got me started on West Wing. I am eagerly awaiting the next season being released on Netflix. I've basically got all the channels and services offered so finding them should never be an issue.

5. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Specifically on Netflix, I would recommend Breaking Bad, The Killing, and Sherlock. (Plus a lot of others but I think 3 would occupy your time well.)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Showtime has some of the best series on TV. Check out Weeds (first 5 years), Shameless, Californication.

7. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've watched all of Breaking Bad, an excellent series. The other two, I haven't checked out yet.

I've seen a few of the Weeds show. I did not realize it went 8 seasons! Wow!!!

8. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Weeds my friends tell me is good for the first 3 season but then I was told that it jumps the shark in season 4.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I don't have Netflix (enlighten me, someone, please), but I do have a credit card, an Amazon account, along with occasionally too much time on my hands - at which times I am also afflicted by an occasional bout of what can only be described as nostalgia.

So, in recent weeks, I have bought DVDs of some of the TV series that I really liked: 'Secret Army', and 'Airline' (both British made, and both set in or around the WW2 era) but actually made in the late 70s, early 80s. Oh, and both excellent.

'Foyle's War' - (which, granted, is a lot more recently made) and is one of the best series on TV I have ever seen shall follow in due course, as shall others.

10. MattG, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I agree with rdowns, first five seasons are good. After that it gets a little too wacky. And the series finale was AWFUL.

Also, if you're looking for something funny...Parks and Rec. Get through the first season (not all that great, but at least it's short at six episodes). After that, it's hilarious all the way through. Netflix has all of them except the current season.

11. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Agreed there. My stepdad and I have been plowing through season 5 for Parks and Rec and it's definitely hilarious.

12. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Fargo, based on the movie. Ive only seen the fist episode but looks promising.
    I know I'm late to the party, but just started Game of Thrones.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You can watch Downton Abbey on amazon. I really like that show.

I'm curious to Fargo the TV series, as I really enjoyed the film. Also you're in for a great time with Game of Thrones.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm excited for you. I love this series so much. I just hope you haven't been spoiled with some of the major scenes in the series.

15. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Arrow, Mad Men and Game of Thrones at the moment.

Suits comes back in June.

17. MyiBill macrumors 6502

The Following is good as well as Blacklist (still in its first season on NBC). Bates Motel and Dallas are good as well.

Cant wait for the new 24 series in a couple weeks!

18. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

19. yukhalilsel macrumors member

20. Felasco Guest

We've just started watching (again) The Tudors. It's the story of King Henry the Eighth Of England, and the birth of the Episcopal Church.

I know, that sounds dry, but it's far from it.

There's lot of great sex :) plenty of beheadings and wars, political intrigue etc. It's very well written and acted, with a story line that will keep you hooked through 40 episodes. It could possibly be the best show I've seen on TV, and I've been watching since the fifties.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Tudors/70136129?trkid=2361637

I really wanted to like Weeds, as I'm a big fan of Mary-Louise Parker, but must admit the show made me barf right from the first episode. We hung in there for awhile hoping for an improvement, but never found it and had to bail.

Grey's Anatomy is pretty darn good, and I hate hospital shows generally, so that's high praise coming from me. Another well written and acted show.

If you like that one, the same producer did Scandal, which was almost as good.

I love Netflix!

If it was a religion I'd be one of those guys going door to door with pamphlets trying to get my neighbors to see the light and all of that. I can't figure out why anybody still watches cable, as it seem such a pile of dung compared to Netflix. Great content, no commercials of any kind, eight little bucks a month. The best bargain on the net.

Wait, before you go, here, take a pamphlet!

21. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I agree with you there. I really love Netflix (especially with their exclusive series House of Cards and their willingness to extend The Killing to season 4 even though FOX/AMC had stopped working on the show.

With the newly recent deal between Amazon Prime Video and HBO however, I do worry about Netflix a little bit. However Netflix does a good job with premium content getting cable oldies such as from Showtime with The Borgias, Dexter and Weeds (no Homeland however) and AMC with Breaking Bad and The Killing.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Amazon/HBO deal only covers older, long canceled HBO shows at this time.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Do you think HBO has done some internal study showing that their revenue/profits would be higher if they kept piggybacking on cable companies instead offering stand alone service?

I get maybe that they want to keep it a "premium" channel so that majority of people who pay for it in addition to having a cable subscription, are more likely to watch it. But if I was paying 15 dollars a month for HBO, I would for sure watch.

24. Felasco Guest

Well, if something truly better comes along, sure, it could be a problem. Speaking only for myself, Netflix has satisfied me to the point where I wouldn't bother investing the time in checking out alternatives.

I'm worried more about bandwidth issues. Serving video to millions of people is a huge resource hog, and I hope that Netflix can keep up with the technical demands. If shows start rebuffering many times per show, that would get me shopping.