Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What type of laptop owner are you?

delsoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Are you the kind of owner who GENTLY sets it down on the table so you don’t hurt it’s feelings and it lives in a protective case it’s whole life, gently babying it...or, are you the type that opens the screen lid from the sides, no protective case and put it in your back back, using it without much care to do what you need?

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Probably the latter. Chuck it in the backpack, off to uni, pull it up with one hand and pop the lid to get some code written. I would never use cases for anything. Not phones, not laptops; I am not going to wrap my furniture in plastic or put cling film over my jacket. Though that’s a bit of a ranty tangent, haha

glenthompson

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
In between. I try to take care of it but I don’t baby it. I hate cases on laptops. I always transport in my backpack in the padded compartment. My 2011 MBP shows some wear on the bottom but the top looks like new.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Probably the latter. Chuck it in the backpack, off to uni, pull it up with one hand and pop the lid to get some code written. I would never use cases for anything. Not phones, not laptops; I am not going to wrap my furniture in plastic or put cling film over my jacket. Though that’s a bit of a ranty tangent, haha

Your Jacket and furniture is not ‘breakable’, and Certainly doesn’t have the Vulnerability that a smart phone or laptop poses. Of course you wouldn’t ‘wrap your couch’, because why would you worry about damaging something that’s not likely to accrue ‘damage’ in the first place. An iPhone and a laptop are prone to impact and drops, naturally consumers use cases. The fact that you choose not to use a case, is your simply prerogative, but your comparison is not mutually exclusive with objects that you can’t break like a jacket versus an Laptop/iPhone due to its construction and lack there of protection without a case/sleeve.

Reactions: RawBert

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Are you the kind of owner who GENTLY sets it down on the table so you don’t hurt it’s feelings and it lives in a protective case it’s whole life, gently babying it...or, are you the type that opens the screen lid from the sides, no protective case and put it in your back back, using it without much care to do what you need?

I don’t use a case with my iPhone and iPad, and I don’t have one for my MBA as well.

I will say I am a mix of both. Start out babying my brand new shiny device first, then the moment it gets its first scratch or blemish, I will be like “ah heck, whatever”.

Reactions: BorgCube and dk001

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When I put it in a backpack, I at least make sure there's things in there that will keep it from jumping around. That's as far as I go.

Do people really open them from the sides? I didn't even know that was possible...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm a mix. I put it gently on the table (though it's a glass entertainment center so it's as much prevention of glass breaking) and keep a microfiber handy to keep the screen clean. However, I drop it in my backpack every day to go to work, with no further padding than the backpack provides (but I drive to work in a paersonal car rather than a train or other public transit).

Reactions: delsoul

556fmjoe

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2014
With new, expensive laptops, I'm the second one.

With old, cheap laptops, I am much more careful.

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Your Jacket and furniture is not ‘breakable’, and Certainly doesn’t have the Vulnerability that a smart phone or laptop poses. Of course you wouldn’t ‘wrap your couch’, because why would you worry about damaging something that’s not likely to accrue ‘damage’ in the first place. An iPhone and a laptop are prone to impact and drops, naturally consumers use cases. The fact that you choose not to use a case, is your simply prerogative, but your comparison is not mutually exclusive with objects that you can’t break like a jacket versus an Laptop/iPhone due to its construction and lack there of protection without a case/sleeve.

That's a valid point, but the point was more that the products were bought to be used. And throughout that usage I will add that I've never damaged a device in that physical sense. My Macs have died from things like the 2011 GPU failure in the 15" Pros, but I've neither damaged phones n'or laptops physically in spite of not using cases and perhaps treating them haphazardly in some people's eyes. But my tools show no issues at least, and should one break eventually the added enjoyment of not adding weight, unwieldy bulk and a constant annoyance by wrapping it - It's worth the price of a single replacement unit over the span of 20-some years or whenever the first incident happens. I don't get 99% of cases, I really don't. Apple's industrial design department spends so much time and energy on the shape, look, feel, weight and overall design of a product and people put a 2c piece of plastic on it sold from the local corner shop. I can understand being very careful with your equipment and I'm a proponent of that generally - Whilst I treat my stuff as tools for a job, I wouldn't encourage mistreating your gear. I just don't get cases. I've yet not seen one that doesn't frustrate me endlessly by destroying the aesthetic cohesion and/or just feeling terrible to hold. But hey, people around here might just be being the worst cases around. After all, for self-explanatory reasons it's not a market I've looked much into, so there may very well be nicer products on the market. Also to clarify, I in no way judge anyone who wants to use a case - you do you and that's golden by me. Just expressing my personal reasons for disliking cases on my own stuff

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I have a thin case for my phone because I’ll drop it from time to time, but nothing for my MBP. I don’t go out of my way to abuse it, but I don’t baby it either. I’ve been using laptops for a couple of decades now and haven’t broken one yet!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Mutually exclusive?

I've noticed around the programming scene, people are little less worried, particularly with notebooks. In fact, it's almost like a badge of honor for your machine to have battle scars :D

To quote Gilfoyle and Dinesh ...

"A banged up 15-inch MacBook Pro with ****** stickers on it?"

"Everyone here has a beat up 15-inch MacBook Pro ..."

I have a thin case for my phone because I’ll drop it from time to time, but nothing for my MBP. I don’t go out of my way to abuse it, but I don’t baby it either. I’ve been using laptops for a couple of decades now and haven’t broken one yet!

Yeah, among my peer group, partners, employees, etc., over decades, I can count the number of catastrophic Apple laptop failures due to physical abuse, on one hand, and for those few times, a case would've made exactly zero difference.

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've noticed around the programming scene, people are little less worried, particularly with notebooks. In fact, it's almost like a badge of honor for your machine to have battle scars :D

To quote Gilfoyle and Dinesh ...

"A banged up 15-inch MacBook Pro with ****** stickers on it?"

"Everyone here has a beat up 15-inch MacBook Pro ..."

I think there's some truth to that. I did political science in high school, and everyone with a Mac except for myself were pretty careful with it. Someone even brought the included micro-fibre cloth with them every day to wipe it off before and after use.

At the computer science department at uni, people generally carry them around one-handed

That said I'm personally not a fan of stickers and have never injured a laptop even though I swing it around a bit, haha

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Given the day my work MacBook Air gave me felt like launching it off the top floor of the office today!
But case on my iPhone always.
Nothing on my MacBook Air. It goes to work in my rucksack. It’s 4 years old and looks pretty much like the day I got it.
MacBook Pro is on order though. Should be here early December. It will also not have a case.

Reactions: kazmac and delsoul

delsoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I wonder how these MacBook pros and airs hold up over time against the usual bumps into things here and there of daily use

James_C

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I definitely look after my Mac's, if I take my laptop out of the house it goes into a protective Brenthaven case. I sold my 2016 MacBook Pro this week when I got my M1 Air - It did not have a visible scratch on it.

That having being said I had a nightmare several years ago - I accidentally dropped by MacBook Pro onto my Aluminium Mac Pro, denting both the MBP and the Mac Pro.

delsoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Just fine.
One thing that makes me curious is if apple actually torture tests their laptops like other companies do? I know they torture test their iPhones but they never talk about their laptops getting the same tough treatment.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I wonder how these MacBook pros and airs hold up over time against the usual bumps into things here and there of daily use

Touching wood, with my MBA, there are no "usual bumps into things here and there".

At home, it sits on my desk, plugged in. It does not roam the house, and rarely even makes it to the kitchen table. I never use it as a "lap-top".

When it eaves the house, it lives in its compartment in my briefcase, unless I use it on a train (haven't been on a train since Covid struck), or a table in a pub (haven't been to a pub since Covid struck), when it is removed from the briefcase, and put on one of those little tables, or trays, one sees on a train, or, occasionally, on a table, in a pub, or hotel bar.

In the day when I stayed in hotels, (and yes, no hotels since Covid, either..), the computer sat on the desk of my home room, which is where it stayed as long as I stayed in that room.

Then, when I have finished, it is returned to its compartment in my briefcase.

So, in my life with my computer, there are no "bumps" into "things".

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'll be honest, the "feel" of Macs compared to the Windows laptops I deal with at work is one reason I prefer a Mac over those. The unibody aluminum case just feels like quality and sturdiness in comparison to the 2-3 piece plastic Windows ones from Dell.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'll be honest, the "feel" of Macs compared to the Windows laptops I deal with at work is one reason I prefer a Mac over those. The unibody aluminum case just feels like quality and sturdiness in comparison to the 2-3 piece plastic Windows ones from Dell.
Absolutely. And better for the environment too.

Reactions: BorgCube
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.