What version of OS X Does your Mac run?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Volkstaia, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

Are you going to update it? Downgrade? Go back to OS 9? Tell us! I don't have a PowerPC Mac yet, although when I do I'm going to do 10.4 because of dat classic mode. (Still looking for a deal on a G4 MDD, and I'm not made of money which makes it a bit worse) And I might try to experiment with older versions, just to see what they were like.

2. ihuman:D, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

My iMac G4 and Powerbook G4 all run 10.5.8 and these are the only PowerPC Macs I own, I plan to install Linux on the Powerbook though for coding and messing around.
    Then my Intel iMac runs 10.8.4 and Windows 8.

3. eyoungren, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I left Classic behind for good in January of 2012. It only stayed around for so long because our Classifieds workflow made it necessary for QuarkXPress 4.11. Now that I get the file in .docx I was able to transition that Mac to a G4 running 10.4 (but only because of ram, otherwise it'd be on Leopard).

At home I abandoned OS9 some time around 2003.

All of my Macs run 10.5.8. Except for the work Mac which is Intel and runs 10.8.4.

OS9 was great for it's time and I actually have a few Macs at home running it and System 7.5.6 as well. But sad to say, it's irrelevant to my workflow now and usually does more harm than good.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 is one of the few versions of Windows Server that still has FSM (File Services for Macintosh). It uses the OS9 version of Appletalk. Which means I can't use it at all because OS9 only supports 32.3 filenames. That is 32 characters plus three extension characters. No way running OS X Macs can you use that protocol to store files on.

It's the same on my OS9 Macs at home. I gave up using it at all as file storage as my OS X Macs just have oodles of filenames longer than 32 characters.

Oh yeah. I've said it here before, but I will repeat it again. At least for me, OS X 10.4.x was very unstable in a PC/Mac networked environment with a Windows server. Finder was always crashing, especially when you had three or more copy threads running and it always hanged whenever a server connection dropped. I hated it!

At least with Leopard we have been very stable and it's much appreciated. If a server drops Leopard simply tells you that it's been forcibly disconnected and allows to either try and stay connected or disconnect. No hanging, no Finder quitting.

4. philz4life macrumors member

My 12 inch iBook had Tiger when I got it, but the compatibility was terrible and I had no need for Classic, so I bought Leopard, which now runs on my G4 MDD and iMac G5. I'v thought about downgrading to Tiger for performance gains, but some people say more powerful Macs run better with Leopard. I'll probably stick to 10.5 on my MDD and G5, and maybe try 10.4 again on the iBook, which doesn't get as much use.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Tiger. Simple and solid as a rock. Can't fault it.

6. Volkstaia thread starter macrumors regular

Volkstaia

I think I found a good deal on a Quicksilver, fully able to run Leopard! I realized I will have to do Leopard, I don't think universal binaries re supported under tiger, so probably dual booting between Leopard and OS 9 for ***** and giggles.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd have to disagree with that. QuarkXPress 7.31 is a universal binary and it ran just fine on Tiger when I was using it. It's the only one offhand I can name but I know I ran other universal apps on Tiger.

8. Volkstaia thread starter macrumors regular

Volkstaia

Cool cool cool. But is FCS 3 supported under Tiger?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry, that I cannot tell you. My area of experience is in print so most video apps are foreign to me.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My eMac is running Tiger and is running the oldest version of iTunes available. It's only used as a jukebox now & I really don't need the features Leopard & iTunes 10 introduced. My iBook G3 is also running Tiger, not because I want to (talk about sluggish) but because my home network simply doesn't talk with my AirPort card under Jaguar AT ALL. The iBook is used as a web surfer & a word processor, as when it comes to typing up a document - touch screens don't even come close to a terrible physical keyboard, let alone the awesome one found in the iBook.

My bondi-blue iMac was running OS 8 but it's still sitting there unsued & collecting dust at the moment (suspect PSU failure).

11. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

All on Tiger. Leopard frustrates me, on any Mac, for an Intel Snow Leopard and Up are the way forward. I don't rate Leopard at all.

12. tigerintank macrumors regular

on my iMac G5 i run leopard and it does what i need it too - no plans to downgrade to tiger here.

13. Nameci, Jun 25, 2013

Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

PowerMac G3 B&W - OS9.2.2
    PowerMac G4 PCI gfx - now on Tiger, working to get OS9 there
    PowerMac G4 FW800 1.42DP - Leopard
    PowerMac G4 FW800 1.42DP - Tiger (awesomeness, doesn't blink)
    iMac G5 17" 2.0 ALS - Leopard
    iMac G5 20" 1.8 - Leopard
    PowerMac G5 1.8DP - Leopard
    2xPowerMac G5 2.3DC - Leopard
    PowerMac G5 Quad - Leopard
    iBook 12" 1.33 - Leopard
    PowerBook 15" 1.67 DLSD/HR - Leopard
    '08 BlackBook - Lion
    '09 MacMini - Mountain Lion

That is all folks. (for now) :)

14. wobegong Guest

Powermac G5 - Leopard
    MacBook - Lion
    MacBookPro - ML

15. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I deal....

with a fair share of PowerPC machines and my mantra is stay between 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard). Going down from Tiger is worthless for me. And Leopard is the last Mac OS designed with PowerPC chips in mind....

:):apple:

16. 53kyle, Jun 25, 2013

53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

OS 8 on iMac G3
    10.2 on PowerBook G3
    10.4.11 on iBook G3
    10.5.6 on iBook G4
    10.5.8 on Mac Mini G4
    10.5.8 on MacBook
    10.7 on other MacBook
    10.8.4 and 10.9 on MacBook Pro

17. Graveyard macrumors regular

Os9 & Leopard on dual G4
    Os9 & Tiger on iMac G3, PowerMac G3 b&w and iBook G3.
    Mountain Lion on 20" and 27" iMacs (intel)
    Still haven't had the time to check the Macintosh Classic II... But this one is far from ever being able to run osx.

18. tampasteve macrumors 6502

iBook G4: Leopard
    iBook G3: Tiger
    iMac G3: Jaguar (going to upgrade to Tiger though)
    Powermac G4: Tiger
    Powermac Dual G5: Leopard

19. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

PowerMac G5 Quad: 10.5.8 Leopard Server (wonder if I'm the only person on here using that), 10.4.11 Tiger to play older PPC games and OS9 games via Classic, WinXP SP2 via Virtual PC 7 for very old PC games

MacBook Pro Early 08: 10.8.4 Mountain Lion, Win7 SP1

PowerBook G4 Titanium 1 GHz: 10.4.11 Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2

PowerMac G4 Digital Audio: 10.4.11 Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet: 10.2.8 Jaguar, Mac OS 9.2.2

SuperMac S900: Mac OS 9.2.1

Mac SE: System 6... I think? :)

20. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

How well does VPC7 perform?

21. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I use leopard server!

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Macintosh Classic: System 6
    iMac G3 Rev. A: Mac OS 8.6
    iMac G3 Rev. C: OS X 10.3.9
    iBook G3 Clamshell: Mac OS 9.2.1
    iBook G3 (White): OS X 10.4.11
    iBook G4: OS X 10.4.11
    eMac: OS X 10.4.11
    MacBook: OS X 10.6.8

I've also got an external HDD with a 10.5 partition, and another with a 10.7 partition, but I really dislike both of these OS X versions; I keep them around for the rare occasion when I need a more "modern" OS for a specific task.

23. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

It does decently well, although I don't use it very much anymore since I've got Boot Camp on the MacBook Pro and that can run Windows 7 at native speeds.

Its main limitation is the emulated GPU is a god-awful ancient POS with practically no VRAM. Could have been much improved if they'd just updated that part of it.

24. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

It runs awful on my PB and iMac with standard non-tweaked XP. But I think that has to do with the emulated GPU because it's mostly the UI but I haven't tried any serious apps on it mainly because of that.

25. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Having previously used it on a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, a PowerMac G5 will do a lot better than a PowerBook or an iMac, I'll say that. But it's still a tad slow at times. Again, though, I believe that's emulated GPU-related more than CPU... CPU intensive tasks actually tend to go reasonably quickly.

I noticed going to a single color or low res background for the desktop tends to give a noticeable boost to UI performance, for one.