What was an important song in your youth?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jinyoungkim7, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Hello Macrumors!

So I'm currently writing a paper discussing and analyzing the importance of a specific song to someone at least a generation older than I am. This class is for my college history of popular music class. I would ask someone I know in real life however I really cannot find anybody to interview. I'm from an asian immigrant family and my parents did not grow up with American music nor did any of my family friend's parents.

Anyways, if someone could help me out with a detailed prose on what song was important to you in your youth and why, that'd be awesome!

Thank you!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Why can't it be about non-American popular music? Is that specifically prescribed for some reason?

3. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Yeah, unfortunately the whole class is based on American popular music.

4. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

I chose the song We're Not Gonna Take It by the Twisted Sister. Any thoughts on 80s Metal or this song and it's importance?

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Seems easier to find the person then the song, not the other way around.

6. satty, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

satty macrumors 6502

Easy answer: Holiday in Cambodia

The start to move out of home into the world... Since then I've visited many countries around the globe; several of them for years.

And I actually still listen to it regularly.

[​IMG]

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I hope that this helps.

Mine is "Hey Jude"

Back in 1969 after finishing university, a group of us went on the Hippie trail to Kathmandu(GAP Year). We travelled by train, boat or hitchhicked from Amsterdam, across Europe through Turkey then via Iraq, northern Iran, Afganistan and Pakistan on to India, to the final destination Kathmandu Nepal.

This trip took nearly one year to complete, in nearly every group there would be at least one person with a guitar. It didn't matter which nationality the one song we all knew was "HEY JUDE"

If I ever hear that song played I think back to my youth, and a far more innocent world.:)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=nDBeUq7GJYHU0QX2k4HQDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAg

8. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Mine would be Eve Of Destruction as I spent those years watching and waiting until I was old enough for the draft.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Off topic, but I love this album. My first introduction to punk and this was it. Loved it and have been listening to punk ever since.

Back on topic.

For me it would be Pantera's Mouth of War and Walk. Rebellious to say the least.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd have to say that 'The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and 'The Wheels on the Bus' were very influential in determining my tastes in music. :D

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It was the exercise you got miming Itsy Bitsy. :)

A time in my life I remember preferring Tijuana Brass over the Beetles, that is until I came to my senses. ;) Born To Be Wild was a song that stands out not because I felt it represented me, but because it was one hell of a good song. :) The first time I listened to the White Album did not care for it... Why Don't WeDoIt In the Road... really. :p My vote for best all time album has to go to Abbey Road. What an adventure, helped along with Mary Jane. :D

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

When I was little:

It's All Too Much by the Beatles

From 1989 to now:

World Eater by Bolt Thrower - I still play the 1989 version at least 3x a day. This remains an inspiration, pick me up and deal with the stupid commute/people track to this day. And it's so damn heavy.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Chevelle - Family System

I was clearly more Emo than I thought.

15. musicjunky macrumors regular

Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers because I was a lonely sad kid.

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

OP, since you asked for American songs, here's a few of the pop anthems (by American composers/artists) I remember from growing up the turbulent 60s-70s... I suppose I considered them "important" at the time because they reflected some of the issues that affected young people during that era.

Bob Dylan - Blowing in the Wind: One of the most famous protest songs of the '60, originally written in 1962 and released by Bob Dylan in 1963 as the U.S. escalated its involvement in the Vietnam War. Later rerecorded by Peter, Paul, and Mary and others.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

18. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I still listen to this one!!

19. Gandalf theGrey macrumors newbie

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUKGpTWbzs

It sheds a tear from my eyes when I finally found it online after all these years of searching.....for 20+ years.

Was looking into the 80's U.S. cartoon database to no avail......turns out it's French made.

20. Renzatic, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I very much was a teenager of the 90's, born at the tail end of Generation X, and grew up during MTV's last great hurrah. The music I like is very much rooted in that era, and is still heavily influenced by it to this day.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World.

Yeah, this one came out earlier this year so it doesn't count, but I figured what the hell, I'll throw it in.

...and a ton more I could add, but I think this makes for a good list. I dunno if my taste in music is excellent or horrible, but it's what shaped me, and what I like.

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hmm... tough question as it is so subjective and personal. After giving it some brief thought the first album that comes to mind is the Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill".

[​IMG]

I was ten years old when it was released and songs like Fight for Your Right, Paul Revere, Brass Monkey, No Sleep Till' Brooklyn, and Girls helped introduce me to the genre of Rap/Hip Hop. Run DMC's Raising Hell was my first ever Hip Hop album purchase (Walk This Way, It's Tricky, My Adidas), but the Beastie Boys broke down the racial barrier sending the clear message that good rap music could be made by and enjoyed by everyone regardless of culture or background. I loved the Beastie's fusion style of rock/rap and they continued to build on their success by putting out one good album after another.

I never bought into the Hip Hop lifestyle as I was a middle class "white boy" from the suburbs, but in addition to the Beastie Boys and Run DMC I went on to enjoy the music of Public Enemy, NWA, Sir Mix A Lot, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, Kool Mo Dee, De La Soul, The Geto Boys, EPMD, Biz Markie, LL Cool J, Ice T, 2 Live Crew, Too Short, 3rd Bass, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Tone Loc, MC Hammer, The Fat Boys, Kid & Play, Boogie Down Productions, Kriss Kross, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, etc. etc. etc... In the yearbook of my senior year I was voted "most likely to become a gangsta rapper" :D

For the past 15+ years I've done DJ work on the side for fun and supplemental income. In general I'm just a "regular" kind of guy, but I do enjoy Hip Hop and I think that all goes back to my early experiences with the Beasite Boys and Run DMC.