Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
That I had no intention of buying one until I actually messed around with it at Best Buy on launch day. Then I was shocked that at 2:00 pm, 4 hours after opening, they still had over 35 left in stock. :eek: Now, the fact is I find myself using it more than my MBP. Lastly, some of the apps that are available within the first few weeks are pretty amazing, and from a price perspective not too bad. I mean how long has it been that you can by software for .99 and up. Sheesh!

UnstrungHarp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I expected it to exceed my expectations, so no surprise there. :D

The only negative surprise for me was due to a lack of research/understanding on my part (in spite of the fact that I obsessively read iPad-related articles throughout the weeks leading up to delivery). I didn't understand just how much of a downer it would be to have no file management system, probably because I hadn't thought about what "file management" meant. So there are a few limitations I hadn't planned on, but then again i still have my MBP sitting right there to take care of those things. Also, I have now discovered Desktop Connect which is pretty awesome...

Oh, and I wasn't expecting to want to use the iPad's online capabilities everywhere I go...I get spoiled at home playing Words with Friends, so I really want to keep playing when I leave the house. Not that buying the 3G version would have helped because there's no AT&T service anywhere in my town (or county, honestly). I was so upset when I realized that you can't even pass-and-play offline, because it apparently goes "online" to check every word's validity. Boo! :mad:

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
One pleasant surprise is that I have felt no heat coming out out of this thing. Given Apple's history with overheating products, I really expected this thing to be warm or hot to the touch after hours of use, but mine has stayed cool.

I'm also surprised and disappointed that it only has 256 MB RAM, which shows itself in Safari and crashing apps.

Lastly, I'm very disappointed that Apple hasn't released an iPad version of iTunes Remote. I'm dying for this.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
What I didn't expect -- is that I would use it more as a web browser than a book reader. I thought it would be a good book reader but I can't get use to the "glow," the backlight puts off. It's weird b/c I have no problem reading the web, or WSJ, or magazines on it, just books. Maybe Apple could tweak it a little so that the background in more grayish in iBooks.

like instapaper. The first ipad version was white on black, then they got a production model ipad and realized it was too much, so now they have it on a soft grey background

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I was surprised to find what an excellent book reader it is, both with iBooks and Kindle.

totally agree. I bought a book from Amazon and I wasn't sure it would translate as nicely as ibooks but in some respects, it's better. The bookmark feature is definitly better in Kindle, but I miss my swiping.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
like instapaper. The first ipad version was white on black, then they got a production model ipad and realized it was too much, so now they have it on a soft grey background

Exactly. I wish Apple was a quick updating its apps as the 3rd parties.

vijay007

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
I would have to agree that the experience of using it is completely different than watching someone use it. Using it for the first time at Best Buy actually changed my mind at the spot. I went there to just check it out because I love Apple products and had no expectation of buying it. Thought I would hold it for a minute or two and then go home, but once I played around with it, it completely changed my mind. I actually went back to my car to get my credit card to buy it only to find out it was sold out at the moment. So I went home, contemplated buying it and after thinking about it for a while, decided to drive about an hour to the Apple store to buy it. :)

+1

The only difference is, the Bestbuy I went to on day one had them in stock. But, I drove to an Apple store from there to buy it, since you cannot beat the experience of buying from an Apple store, that too on Launch day :)

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
I wasn't expecting first of all to be able to afford the iPad right away much less get it on Launch day but by serendiptious events that day, I got my iPad on April 3!

Second of all, I wasn't expecting to be this addicted to my iPad! I gotta control myself or otherwise I would be on my iPad forever! LOL

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
While not perfect, I definitely think it's in the realm of magical - but only from the standpoint of having a new gadget out that hasn't quite been seen yet. The most surprising thing was A) Finding out that it was fully charged as I waited for my wife to go into numerous other stores after I bought it. I can't believe I was in the car that long and could have potentially been using it! and B) discovering how easy the keyboard was to use. Very intuitive.

gtsipad

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
What I didn't expect was running into an old high school flame at my 20 year reunion and waking up the next morning in a hotel room beside her...oh...wait...what was the question again? :p

antwon412

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
i wasnt expecting to go buy it at lunchtime (without my wife knowing!) then not being able to use it for 4 looooong hours since you had to sync it with Itunes which I dont have on my work PC.

But Ive been loving it ever since!

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I was surprised at how cool it stays, and also by the battery life. I can't believe I can go all day with it! Also, I didn't get mine till the fifth (no Saturday delivery here), so I read tons of comments on it's heft while waiting for it to arrive, which set me up to expect it to be heavier than it actually is. :)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Didn't expect how much it feels like I'm "living in the future" every time I use one. Seriously, the only thing that would feel the same is buying my first flying car or something.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Have you tried Settings--> general--> accessibility --> white on black? Worth a shot. Maybe turn on "triple click home" to toggle it?

Whoa! Cool! I didn't know that was an option. I'm now going to freak out all my friends with the wacky colors.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
the first surprise was the immersive effect the screen has on you. its magical (hehe :p )

the second surprise was actually bigger ........... that my iphone felt SO much smaller.

It would be obviously be smaller but it seemed WAY smaller

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
So, I finally got one after waiting two days for an email to pick it up. I can say again, I am still amazed at this device. Upon purchasing it, I also purchased a case, Incase Protective Case to be exact. After using it for about an hour, I decided against using a case for a short while.

I appreciate the device a lot more without a case, it feels more natural and even makes typing for me a little bit easier. With a case on it, the iPad won't spin when I need it to for typing, and without a case it turns much like I do with a real keyboard. This is just my personal preference, but I find typing on the iPad extremely easy. It isn't that much different then a small laptop, and I could easily take notes on this thing.

I hope everyone likes their iPad as much as me!

I typed this on my iPad as well, seeing as how I will probably never use my PC unless it is for gaming.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
So, I finally got one after waiting two days for an email to pick it up. I can say again, I am still amazed at this device. Upon purchasing it, I also purchased a case, Incase Protective Case to be exact. After using it for about an hour, I decided against using a case for a short while.

I appreciate the device a lot more without a case, it feels more natural and even makes typing for me a little bit easier. With a case on it, the iPad won't spin when I need it to for typing, and without a case it turns much like I do with a real keyboard. This is just my personal preference, but I find typing on the iPad extremely easy. It isn't that much different then a small laptop, and I could easily take notes on this thing.

I hope everyone likes their iPad as much as me!

I typed this on my iPad as well, seeing as how I will probably never use my PC unless it is for gaming.

IMHO, the only case that works right, is the Apple Case.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Most unexpected for me was (is) the speed. The pinch and zoom on things like the browser and maps is soooo much faster than on the iPhone 3GS or my (overclocked) Motorola Droid that I actually said "wow" out loud when I first did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.