What was the first thing you liked about mac's?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jamesl94, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Hi,

really sorry if this is a bit of a repost or it's in the wrong section.

I was wondering, what was your first experience of a mac like? What did you like about it over a PC and how long was it until you got one?:D

For me, I had a go on my first mac at school, it was a old Imac and I fell in love with the thing and I just liked how macs, well, just worked. A example is when there is something really simple for a PC, you know in the back of your mind that it will come up with a error or something and just annoy you, but with a mac, it just gets on with the task and waits for your next move.

I wanted one for about 2 years, but because I am really big on my photography and kiteboarding, I didn't have much spare money. About 6 months ago, I made a new savings account on my junior savers and just kept on chipping at it, putting in a couple of quid when I had it, it soon mounted up and I had enough money for a mac.

I love this thing, it is my baby:D:D:D

James

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Hope this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the thread, and I hope I don't ruin it, but it's funny because it's true.

The first thing I remember doing on the Mac my brother got when he was 10 and I was 7, was farting into its external microphone and setting them as error sounds (bodily functions are hilarious at that age) on a good ol' PowerMac 6100/66.

That's the first thing I remember on our Mac :D

Of course, that's not why I still use them. I use them because I can now modify the sound and tempo of those farts in Garageband! Juuust kidding...

Before that though, we had friends with Macs and our school and what not. So I remember Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, and playing Armor Alley (greatest game ever), Oregon Trail, and eventually Myst on our old friends' Quadra.

Before that, I remember we hired a technician to install a mouse on our DOS box we had before. I never looked back after we got our Mac.

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My Dad brought home the original Macintosh back when I was six years old. At a time when I was playing DOS based text games or games with very primitive (monochrome or CGA) graphics, firing up MacPaint for the first time was a pretty amazing experience.

5. Fake Hipster macrumors member

Literally, I just never used a PC. So by the time I actually thought about it, I was already in love with Macs.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Ok, mine is not as fun but it's something kinda similar.

When I was younger me and my dad recorded some Fawlty Towers lines to use as the error sounds, stuff like:

Basil Fawlty (with a sarcastic voice): How fabulous.
    Basil Fawlty: Is this a piece of your brain?
    Manuel: She go crazy.

EDIT: No wonder I'm such a geek... :eek:

7. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

I won't lie: the look :eek:

Although I now use it for what it was designed for ;)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's brilliant. :D

9. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

the design/look...they are sexy!!!

Cheers.

-J.-

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I never personally owned a PC.

In college when the Mac labs were full I had to hit the PC labs and they were terrible. They were all server grade HPs, but they just sucked, on top of that I was trying to use Quark on a PC. I also got to use PCs at a couple of jobs. Thankfully mostly UNIX though.

Before I just used Macs because I grow up on them. My dad got an Apple ][e when I was 7 or 8. Since then I liked them because I do music. Now I like them because of OS X. I liked the classic OS for the most part. Though with OS X I can say the one reason I use macs is because of OS X.

The software is what makes the difference. The OS. It's actually rather transparent which an OS is supposed to be.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just remembered one more we used:

Manuel: You are a hideous orangutan.

EDIT: I'm going to watch Fawlty Towers now. :D

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I liked Double-Clicking things and making 10 second clips in the Sound Control Panel.

I was 10, it was 1991, and it was an Macintosh LC running System 7.

13. hostage46 macrumors newbie

Friends don't let friends try Expressions Web

I was faced with upgrading a website for my RC Soaring club. Looked around for an easy way to do it ... then I found iWeb, now a week into my old G5 I picked up for free, really, it was headed for the dumpster, I'm planning on converting it all over to Mac, with Office and Entourage, there are no issues around compatibility...

I'm a convert!

14. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

My first encounter was at a friends house. They had a iMac, Powerbook and a Mac Pro and that was my first encounter until about 2 years ago when I started getting really fed up with my PC. The speed, design and coolness were what got me hooked and after using one at a Apple Store, they became an addiction. Once I got my first one, a MBP last October, life hasn't been the same. I actually converted my brother too who was at the time looking for a more powerful rig. What made it for both of us though is ultimately the OS. I actually have trouble using Windows as it just isn't as easy to work with. Now I'm the local "Mac man".

15. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Is that a serious question? I mean, how could you not fall in love with something like this?

[​IMG]

Ah, wish I had owned one of these, but I only used it at a friend's place for a few times but was hooked instantly. After all those years with Windows, I finally sat in front of something that looked like the people behind it actually cared about their product. Being an Amiga person, it was a bit like coming home again.

*snif*

16. neoserver macrumors 6502

I'll be honest, Macs didn't appeal to me prior to OS X. I wasn't a fan of OS 9 and because of that I mainly used Windows and Linux. However, once OS X came out, the fact that I could have a unix-based workstation to do the heavy lifting when I needed it, yet remain easy to use and fool-proof when I just wanted to check email and surf the net sold me.

So really, OS X is the first thing I liked about Macs :p

17. lrainer macrumors newbie

Not having to learn what...

xcopy c:\directory\*.* a:\

...means to copy some files to a floppy. I'll never forget that day, trying to figure out what a c:\ was and what *.* meant. :confused:

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I used an emac and earlier macs in grade school and middle school, but didn't really know to differentiate then. I was re-introduced when my fiance got one in college, and I liked the looks of it. I considered the switch because I didn't game on a PC nearly as much as I did on consoles. The thing I miss most is the emulators, honestly. Other than that, the stability and comparative security are what I continue to love besides the designs.

19. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The first thing I really liked was the ability to close all documents, but not quit the application. I appreciate this so much with applications, like Adobe's, that take forever to open.

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This might get me in a tad of hot water here, but the first thing I really LIKED about macs was OSX. OS 9 was ok, but a difficult adjustment from Windows. I was impressed that it didn't crash much, but not impressed enough to throw away my PC.

21. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

For me it was back in primary school. We had the old systems i forget what they were now. But i liked the menus how you select something and it would flash twice before it would open, the little chime it would make when it was turned on. The system tones in general. The noise that was made when you inserted a floppy disk, when it was read and ejected. - Really cool well for a 8 year old anyway.

The ability to have them networked through phone line ( you needed an adapter) it could plug into the printer port i believe.

The ability to boot of a external scsi device which i don't think was able to be done on a pc back then.

Also the games had a lot more detail to them back then. I remeber playing prince of persia back on the mac in year 4. The detail to that game was incredible. I then later managed to get a copy of it for PC - the quality was pretty crappy.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I loved Prince of Persia. :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I suppose mines a bit like Madog's but on a less cheeky level :D I used to love replacing the icons and using the label colouring feature in early Macs (back in junior school days). Then at university I liked how simple they were and perfect for my needs so I bought one.

Now I need a beast of a PC so no more Macs for me, except for laptops. But it's the same reason for them... I like the simplicity of an Apple laptop and their multitouch trackpads. Just really good to use.

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

That model of Mac right there is what I have now. It was love at first bite. ;):apple:

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry