Windows What was your first PC Game?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by soulreaver99, Feb 10, 2019.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

[​IMG]

I was digging through some old stuff and found the first PC game I ever bought. Sure I’ve had some preloaded games like solitaire and minesweeper but I remember picking this game up at a local computer store.

I had no idea how difficult it was to even run this game and after a day of trial and error, I made my very first boot disk to play the game in my 386SX PC work 2MB of RAM.

The old desktop that I had didn’t even have a soundcard so I had to use the internal speaker and listen to all the beeps and bops in the game. My uncle at the time upgraded to a sound blaster 16 so he gave me his old sound blaster and I was amazed to hear MJs voice in the game.

We’ve definitely come a long way after the past few decades!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

My first PC game was a mixture. I got a laptop from my Dad’s work place when I was 6 or so as my birthday present. Some Pentium DELL with a bulbous haemorrhoid-sized ball as the trackpad. :)

I installed BOWEP (best of Windows’ Entertainment Pack), so had games like Ski Free, Rodent’s Revenge, Chip’s Challenge, Pipe Dream, Tetris, and a few others I couldn’t recall.

Following that it was a lot of Descent 2 over LAN with my younger brother. Command & Conquer, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Dark Forces... I really do have fond memories of ‘90s gaming.

Thanks for making me curl up with nostalgia. I’ve now had a hard-hitting realisation that I’m nearly ****ing 30. Time for another beer.

3. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

master of orion
    alone in the dark
    simon the sorcerer
    wolfenstein 3d
    ... and so on ...

386sx25, 80mb hdd, 2mb ram (possible to add 8 more) , soundblaster with tiny plastic speakers... and i still have it

4. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Nearly 30?? Lol I’m nearly pushing 40. Dark Forces was badass and Descent was pretty amazing.

5. soulreaver99, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Hell yeah! That was pretty much the same hardware I had. Ever hit the turbo switch on that thing? Lol. Alone in the a Dark was great and of course wolfenstein. I played both shareware copies of them on my 386

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I can't remember what the first one was, and it was Mac Gaming for me, but here is a list of my early Mac games:

Chuck Yeager's air combat
    Castles 2: Seige and Conquest
    Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
    Full Throttle
    Spin Doctor
    Lemmings
    Sam and Max Hit the Road

Maybe some others that I am forgetting about.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    oh yea, one of my favorites, Sim Tower

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I didn't even get into games while I used early PCs. I switched to Macs in 1985. I wasn't much of a gamer with those early Macs either, but I remember some little time-waster that I liked, it was sort of a knockoff of Tetris... I think it was called Columns.

And then I liked Crystal Quest when that came along.

8. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

oh, lemmings - i totally forgot those cute worms...

dynablaster
    halloween harry

just came on my mind

i didnt have the turbo switch - it was always running at 25hz

9. acorntoy macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

I remember playing Roller Coaster Tycoon a lot on a laptop. The pretty amazing thing about it was that the Windows Laptop survived from 2000 to 2015 without anything failing, so it always gave me nostalgia when I saw it (god that thing was slow at the end though, literally took 15 minutes before you could click an icon on the home screen).

I also played the original Sims and Cruise Ship Tycoon, but roller coaster tycoon is the first I remember and still my favorite.

10. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Lot of great classics on the Mac. I remember the first game I played on a LAN was Marathon, which was the grandfather of the Halo series. Warcraft I and II was also badass. And let’s not forget SimCity 2000!

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I (still) have all of those I think, the only one I’m not sure is Marathon. I think I had it, but didn’t play it much.

I have all of the Warcraft game and majority of my Mac gaming was spent on Some version of Warcraft.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Marathon was completely amazing, beating the crap out of Doom. :) It was my first mindblowing exposure to multiplayer arenas. I upgraded my Mac (1994) to a PowerPC processor just to play this game.

Multiplayer arena on a small map with double sawed off shotguns was quite the adrenaline rush. :D

B5FA7471-3808-49E4-A8B3-B6BDBEBB9A84.jpeg

The Warcraft and Mist Series on the Mac were both great.

About 1998. I purchased my first PC to play Half Hife, a truly amazing adventure game at the Black Mesa Lab.

F5C885A1-6AD0-48F0-A5BB-0A59A6238DE9.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    CYAC provided many weekends of multiplayer fun! :)

5D5B16CA-C45A-4F2A-B903-2387658D195E.jpeg

13. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think the scenarios started out like “There I was”.... and just fill in the blanks.

I have played a lot of flight simulators, and I think Chuck Yeager’s was the most fun.

I played it again maybe Ten years ago, the graphics were much more blocky than I remember.

14. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

Oregon Trail and Wolfenstein 3D. Then Duke Nuke'Em

Rather diverse selection, right?

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I forgot about Oregon Trail and Oregon Trail 2.....

I forget which one it was 1 or 2, but I deliberately delayed completing it and would just hunt like crazy to make time go by and to sell the meat, I think I got into the 20th century and was still on the trail.

I didn’t see any cars though.

16. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

You’re forgetting TIE Fighter. That was a badass flight sim :)

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Good arcade fun, back in the days of primitive graphics. :)

18. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

The Battle of Britain and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Wolfenstein 3D and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. Fun times...

19. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Flight Unlimited and Doom for Windows 95.

20. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Catacomb Abyss

21. troubles_designer macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This one. I was 5 and our family has just bought a computer.

22. MrRabuf macrumors newbie

King's Quest I. I played it on an 8MHz 8088 PC with a 10MB hard drive and CGA graphics. I played a lot of the old Sierra "Quest" games on that PC.

23. ZStech Suspended

If I need a PC game then first of them was... I guess Flat Out 2, 11 years ago.

24. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Digger by Windmill Software.
    Frogger by Sierra On-Line.
    Pac-Man by Atarisoft.

25. buttongerald macrumors regular

buttongerald

Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons. That was the only PC game I played until the release of the first Duke Nukem game about a 6-7 months later.

I was mainly a console kid growing up, only ever playing PC games at friends and family members houses. My parents never bought a PC until about 1997. And I remember the first game I got for it, Lego Island!