Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
What was your major in college and if you could go back, would you change your major and if so, what would you change it to?

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Healthcare Administration.

I'm only 21 so as of now I only have my Business AA but the Bach is in the works. ;)

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
Marketing.

I work in finance now.

I wouldn't change my major. If anything, my ideal career combines what I do now with a bit of branding/marketing. I honestly like both.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
College Major - Psychology

Graduate School - Clinical Psychology

No, I wouldn't change it if I could go back.

Graduated college 1967

Graduated Grad School 1978 (Took some time off, and took forever to finish my Doctoral Dissertation.)

And, yes, I am horrendously ******g old :eek:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Major: Computer science with a focus in game development.

Would I change it if I could? Surprisingly yes. Although I love making games as a hobby I simply have more fun with 3D modeling, compositing, etc and thing I would enjoy working in the special effects industry more.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
My major is currently Manufacturing Engineering...

Would never change it and too deep into it now, but the jobs around here that this applies for really suck as for what they work on(big powdered metal presses). I would rather be doing prototype work, medical or something like design instead of working on the big press pieces.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
HBA in music and a bachelor of education, concurrently. Going into my 4th or 5 years.

If I could go back, I'd still stick with this. Also wouldn't mind studying computer science.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Journalism, Mass Communication and Film Studies with a minor in Political Science. Had a job in my field my freshmen year and it just got better from there.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Double majored in chemical engineering and chemistry from the University of Minnesota (consistently top 3 chemE with Berkeley/MIT).

I wouldn't change it now that it's over, but my one gripe is that the locations for chemE jobs are more often than not in the utter armpits of all possible places to be.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
which time?!?

several attempts. keep getting interrupted by life, good job offers, military, etc. i was working towards and EE degree, but got an offer to work on medical imaging equipment (CT, MRI). my billable rate was $280 p/hour. weekends and holidays were much more. hard to care about books other that repair manuals at that point... :D

hoping the next go at the community college followed by distance classes to finish at the U is the last go. got to get done before my kids do.

still don't know what that course of study might be though... :eek:

EDIT: just pulled 8 different transcripts out of the filling cabinet. sad, very (lots of fees) sad.

Last edited:

skittles90623

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
English Literature

If you want to read some good books and hone your critical thinking skills, English Literature is one of many good ways to go. But honestly, I think all majors in college will help you in the critical thinking department. I guess a major is to channel that into a topic which interests you. If I have to say one thing though, the major you choose in college doesn't dictate what you're going to do afterwards. That's up to you! :)

avflinsch

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
which time?!?

several attempts. keep getting interrupted by life, good job offers, military, etc.

hoping the next go at the community college followed by distance classes to finish at the U is the last go. got to get done before my kids do.

Sounds familiar -

Started in EE, mathematics, history, business admin, then CS before finally quitting 23 years ago to follow a career. A total of 5 majors, 9 years, 4 different schools.

I eventually ended up working for a major university, and decided to go back about 4 years ago.

Currently in a race to finish before my daughter does -- different school within same university. Me Info Tech & History - her Marine Sciences.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
What was your major in college and if you could go back, would you change your major and if so, what would you change it to?

Major: Intercourse 101
Change: Intercourse 201

And because of that I did not do as well as I should have in college. My real major was History and a minor in Russian. I wouldn't change a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.