What we lost: upgrading from ios 7 to 8

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
reader mode is definitely still there i see it briefly displayed in the url bar many times a day, siri raise to speak wasnt "lost" it was intentionally replaced by "hey siri"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
reader mode is definitely still there i see it briefly displayed in the url bar many times a day, siri raise to speak wasnt "lost" it was intentionally replaced by "hey siri"
Dont think it was as much to do with Hey Siri as it was due to raise to listen to voice message in the Messages app.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Lost overall smoothness, snappiness and feel of polish.

Gained Android like feel. Finally the two operating systems are at parity with each other.

gigtome

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
man I hate hearing this stuff... iOS 8 seems ok on my iPad but I just cleared a bunch of photos and videos off my iPhone 5 (16GB) to make room... just can't pull the trigger -- too scared :eek:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
man I hate hearing this stuff... iOS 8 seems ok on my iPad but I just cleared a bunch of photos and videos off my iPhone 5 (16GB) to make room... just can't pull the trigger -- too scared :eek:

What you "scared" about ?

The beauty of choice.

Go with your gut feeling.

I'm on iOS 8.0.2 on my iPhone 5s with no issues or remorse.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Lost overall smoothness, snappiness and feel of polish.

Gained Android like feel. Finally the two operating systems are at parity with each other.
I guess you haven't used a build of KitKat in the last three months. It's astonishingly smooth, stable and polished now.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
On 7 I was able to make it so I could have access to the Notification Center when my iPad was locked. I like this so little ones don't play with it and accidently ship it down seeing a conservation between me and my wife. My daughter is old enough to know to ask, but I have nephews who just like to take and play with stuff.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
I guess you haven't used a build of KitKat in the last three months. It's astonishingly smooth, stable and polished now.
been butter smooth with an iphone 5..:rolleyes: idk what ur settings are must have every single app on background refresh or something

On 7 I was able to make it so I could have access to the Notification Center when my iPad was locked. I like this so little ones don't play with it and accidently ship it down seeing a conservation between me and my wife. My daughter is old enough to know to ask, but I have nephews who just like to take and play with stuff.
and? u still can do that

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Camera roll, already noted. The simply stupid changes to the Safari UI for iPad were driving me mad until I downgraded. Swapping the bookmarks and sharing buttons; the glitchy, shrunken preview mode in the new Safari when the bookmarks tab is open; and having to press the bookmarks button to get them to go away; all these were unnecessary changes that took a good browsing experience and made it uncomfortable.

And these aren't "bugs," they are "features."

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Not exactly what you meant but I lost all of my custom keyboard shortcuts. Didn't have many so just recreated them by hand.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
Amazes me, although it shouldn't, how this thread sounds just like the IOS7 threads just after it came out and IOS6 the same. Maybe I'll just now start a thread about how bad IOS9 is - the worst release ever and why can't I go back to IOS8.
Personally, I have found IOS8 seems a little slower on my 5s than 7 but I've also found with every update it seems to take a few days for the system performance to improve - don't know what is doing but after 3 or 4 days it seems fine. All my apps seem to work fine (more and more ads with every app update). Was a little surprised about photos seeming to be "gone" but I sync with MBP and just created a folder with all my prior camera rolls and synced that event so photos are back on phone.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Lost dual-language in Maps. Now it's either system OR local. In my case that's English OR Chinese. One reason I downgraded before signing finished.

It's a pain to switch by backing out and entering settings and the back to maps. Very useful for travel and tourists etc.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
The lockscreen camera launches a fraction of a second slower on iPhone 5.

I'll never get those fractions of a second back. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.