What will Apple call the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wonderbread57, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

So they went with iPhone 3G instead of iPhone 2 for the latest version but how will Apple market the next major revision of the iPhone?

Make your best guess

... I think they'll stick with iPhone 3G

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iPhone AV
    iPhone Video
    iPhone Video Chat

etc etc

3. cjandnw macrumors 6502

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

probably something like iPhone <whatever is the big technology update named>

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    3G iPhone

Because it's the third generation. Yes, they would do that to us just to create a support forum nightmare. :rolleyes:

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

8. Joey7071 macrumors newbie

By the time the next iPhone comes out im sure people will be accustomed to the 3G iPhone, and just simply call it the "iPhone" and the 1st gen will be "The old iPhone".

And since I don't really see nothing that can be as big as 3G that they can incorporate into the new iPhone that can be put in the name. It will just be called simply "iPhone".

Just like how the iPod was called iPod until they came out with the touch and they renamed it "iPod Classic".

9. profetto macrumors regular

10. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is NO way that the fourth-gen wireless networks will be ready in a year. Fat chance.

12. techguy1 macrumors regular

13. dranakin macrumors 6502

iPhone 2. The reason why they didn't call this one that is because the 3G isn't a new model, just an update (a la iPhone version 1.5).

14. vitasenza macrumors member

iPhone garglenarf

why threads about the next iPhone already? I mean I know people like to speculate, but why why why... :rolleyes:

15. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

16. newyorksole macrumors 68020

To be honest I would like it to be called the iPhone ZX or something along those lines lol just because I like the letters.

4G?? PSHHH.. EDGE is spotty in some parts of the U.S and 3G isn't even available in alot of places, 4G is a long way off.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm thinking "iPhone." They just stuck the 3G on this one so everybody would know about 3G. They didn't really stick new names on all of the iPods, even when they totally changed the Nano.

This could be different ("iPod w/video," "iPod Photo"), but I imagine it'll be called just "the new iPhone" unless something HUGE is added. I mean would they really call it "iPhone w/cut & paste?" If it could do something in HD, maybe "iPhone HD" since everybody loves to tag their stuff HD.

18. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Same reason every sports columnist in the nation has "gratuitously early top 10 rankings for next year" about 13 seconds after the college football national title game ends.

20. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Interesting that your posts are always so definitive. Very clear about your opinion! :D

21. velvetme macrumors newbie

22. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

You all have to admit, their new iphone 3g commercial is brilliant.

The first phone to be better than the iphone....iphone 2.

excellent idea. But thats what apple does with marketing, and all on their macs i would imagine :)

my vote goes to "iphone video" thatll be next

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you believe that they'll be ready? My posts are definitive to keep people's hopes down. The fewer things that people expect (Montevina MacBook Pros next Tuesday, xMac, MacBook redesign), the fewer threads here started by people angry that Apple didn't give them what they want when Apple truly doesn't owe them anything.

And if I'm wrong about any of my predictions, then people are happier than they would have been if they had been expecting it, simply because they weren't.