What Will Apple Do With The MacBook Name?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maserati7200, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    As most of you know, the plastic MacBook is still in production and still gets minor updates from Apple, although Apple has dropped the Black one. While the design of the plastic MacBook is still an excellent product (after 2 years I still love mine, and I'm keeping it until its death) with an excellent design, performance, portability, value, and connivence. What do I mean by that? Besides the Mac Pro, it is currently the easiest to upgrade. It still has a removable battery with extremely easy access to the HD and RAM. And I believe the plastic MacBook still has a strong market, otherwise Apple would have discontinued it by now.

But as good as a product may be, it will never last forever. The MacBook will certainly get an overhaul sometime. It cannot simply stay this way, and Apple cannot drop it, because then there would be no "MacBook" in the line up. Your choice would be the Air or Pro.

Now, I've heard rumors (which I don't believe) that the MacBook might become a tablet of some sort, but I don't buy that, because it wouldn't be a MacBook. If Apple releases a tablet, I wouldn't count on it being called a MacBook.

Realistically, I see one of three things happening:
    A) Apple keeps the same general design, but uses Aluminum (not unibody), possibly an LED backlight, and maybe a little thinner.
    B) Apple sticks with plastic but changes the design slightly, and possibly offers more colors such as black.
    C) Apple changes the design slightly, but uses Aluminum body (not unibody), possibly an LED backlight, and maybe a little thinner.

What do you guys think?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I don't really see the benefit of making a macbook out of aluminium without using CNC technology. They already have the tools ready to make a CNC computer case; it wouldn't cost them anything more to make it, whereas a non-CNC AlBook would mean they have to re-tool another entire manufacturing plant.

The reason they only offer the macbook in white plastic is because plastic is cheaper than aluminium, and it's cheaper to buy masses of white than less quantities of more colours.

3. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

This product is not going to last forever without changing. When Apple decides to redesign the MacBooks, what do you think they would be like?

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Speaking from a marketing and economics standpoint, I would guess a smart move to be the introduction of a larger model, perhaps 15", in order to compete in today's low-end notebook market. That or drop the current 13" down to 12" and bring in a 14". Still plastic, still white. Perhaps a slight advantageous tapered look and feel (semi-Air shaped) keeping in mind the cracking issues. Very hard to say but fun to speculate....kinda why I joined this forum. -GDF

5. dino26 macrumors 6502

I agree with you that the white macbook still has a very strong market that white finish is like a trademark signature everyone loves the design and it does the job that is why i will be purchasing a white macbook :D

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Why would they ever get rid of the name MacBook? They stuck with PowerBook for 15 years (1991-2006), so who's to say they won't stick with MacBook for the next 15?

7. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I bet the name powerbook will make a comeback.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Looks like my prediction will come true.

At the same time Apple will release the TABLET in 2010, I believe the Macbook will disappear and all that will remain will be the Macbook Pro lineage.

Another possibility would be the plastic Macbook will go away, Apple could rename the entire notebook like.

After all, it went from Powerbook ( G4 ) to Macbook ( Intel ).

We could very well see a new generation of notebooks with a new CPU and a new name as well as the Tablet!!!!

WHEN CAN I ORDER MY TABLET ????????????

I already have a place to mount it on my motorcycle!!!! :D

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, you know what? Call me when P.A. Semi comes up with a chip that can compete with ANYTHING that Intel offers in the mainstream. This isn't happening.

It's exactly what Apple wants–the ability to control absolutely everything from hardware manufacturing and architecture design to third-party software–but it isn't happening.

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

get rid of the white and call the MBP line, just the macbook line....
    tablet will be MacBook Touch.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Sound like the Intel chip was a problem with sucking the life out of batteries.

This from the front page of macrumors.com

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Performance? I said mainstream, meaning the MacBook Pro line's chips.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I see apple going all aluminum in the future with its laptops

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple needs to drop prices to $600-$800 because it is too close to the Macbook Pro's prices. Redesign the case and add colors!!

15. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

I never said that. But they are not going to keep the same MacBook with the same design forever.

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I see PowerPC coming back!! I can feel it!!

However, it wont happen. Ever. Period. Done.

17. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

10GHz PPC G5!

18. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'll buy a new Apple laptop when one of two things happens - My 12" G4 finally kicks the bucket, or they finally bring the PowerBook G5 out of their development labs. You've got to know there's some dedicated, mildly insane engineer down there still designing it :p

19. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. All I said was the the MacBook design will have to change eventually.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given the rebranding of the aluminum MacBook, I'd say the name is here to stay. Especially now that Apple is not making in-house chips (or so we think) the need to change and update the name is not so necessary.

The tablet will likely have the MacBook name, the iPod Touch got the iPod name even though it was nothing like any of the others. Although, I'm sure we will have a fair amount of users referring to it as the iTablet.

As to what they will update - that's covered in numerous other places. Your different posts are confusing.

If your point was to say that inevitably Apple will have to update its product line, then congrats you get a golden sticker.

21. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

But a tablet is not a book, so why would it be called Macbook?

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Branding? I don't think they are going to call it the iPod Extra-Freaking Large iTouch. I'd say MacBook Touch or Apple Tablet. I don't think they care that it is not a notebook per say.

23. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Oh I see, maybe Mac Touch is a more reasonable name.

24. Buzz Bumble Guest

That depends on how they market it - market it as partly competition for the silly Kindle and simlae eBook devices and it will be a MacBook. :)

It also depends on which OS they put on the tablet and where in the line up they aim to position it. If it's going to use proper Mac OS X then something like MacBook makes sense, but if they are going to use the iPhone OS then it makes more sense to follow those names, iPod TouchPro perhaps or the long established nickname of iTablet (iPad is probably too close to iPod).

25. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why not?

As long as it continues to sell, it will remain largely unchanged (other than the updates).

Assuming of course all the materials to build it remain cost effective.