What will be your main usage of the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Joe Rossignol, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Joe Rossignol, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I'm curious what everyone's main usage of the Apple Watch will be?
    • Stocks
    • Maps
    • Weather
    • Siri
    • Passbook
    • Stopwatch
    • Health / Fitness
    • Photos
    • Music
    • Third-Party Apps

2. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

My biggest ones will be Calendar reminders, Siri and Passbook/Apple Pay.

I do informal education for a science museum, and my typical day involves going to several different classrooms in several different schools. It's a lot to keep track of, and I pull my phone out to check where I'm heading next, often during a class. I'd prefer not to do that whenever possible. Getting emails and texts from "home base" on my wrist so that I can glance at them during transitions would be nice too.

3. maccswe macrumors member

Is it possible to use the Apple Watch without my iPhone? Say a want to go for a run, if I don't care about GPS position will it register my burned cals and steps etc and sync with the iphone later?

Is it possible to take a shower with Apple Watch or is it only splash resistant?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was interested in getting one for maps & health tracking when I'm out mountain biking but the rumours of less than 4 hours battery life would rule that out. :(

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

The first question, yes.... it is possible. Apple Watch with record all the fitness information and sync with your phone next time is on a close range with it.

I don't think anyone knows for sure the answer to your second question. I can only guess that the sport edition may be waterproof for people who their main use of the watch would be fitness. But that is only my guess.

6. technosix macrumors 6502a

I'll enjoy the entertainment of reading about others dealing with the bugs their Apple watches have. This ought to be quite interesting.

If Apple can't or won't make my iPhone 6 experience trouble free... or at least reduce the number of annoyances, I'm certainly not so stupid as to buy their over hyped watch.

I've got a very solid, fast, stable, bug free Nexus 5 that proves Google cares about the customer experience. It's rather ironic that the company that does so much bragging and claims "it just works" can't seem to live up to that slogan.

Thankfully while I wait for Apple to decide if they're going to return to their previous level of quality and performance, I'll at least profit as my APPL stock rises thanks to all the buyers who only care about being seen with the Apple logo. :)

7. maccswe macrumors member

Bug free? Then you can't have Lollipop on it yet! Lollipop is full of bugs on my Nexus 7, currently running 7.0.2 and on reddit a **** load of people are complaining about Lollipop on Nexus units.

Have a nice day my friend!

----------

Thanks man, that's good. I´m in need of a smart watch/band and has been looking at the Garmin Vivosmart, but I think I'll wait until the release of Apple Watch!

I don't won't to have my iphone 6+ while running =)

8. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Nonsense. Must people do hide the logo with their phone cases anyway. And Apple Watch won't even have any visible :apple: logo. But yeah, keep believing that myth.

9. adrianlealmtz macrumors newbie

iMessage and Push Notifications

I will use my Apple watch, mainly for iMessage. Sending audio messages through my wrist will be mind-blowing, also notifications for Facebook, twitter, etc... oh and Instagram... And making quick phone calls...

10. Joe Rossignol thread starter Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I'm really looking forward to the convenience of knowing why my iPhone is vibrating in my pocket without taking it out. I hope the Apple Watch will be great for quickly dismissing or replying to iMessages and other notifications.

11. VFC macrumors 6502a

I'm really looking forward to the convenience of not having to look down on my iWatch to see iMessage notifications that have come into my iPhone when I get my iGlass.

12. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Save battery on your phone and turn vibrate off. Why does the phone need to vibrate at all if you are getting notifications on your wrist.

13. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Workout/fitness apps (which will include heavy use of music and the stopwatch), Checking the time, Siri. Time will tell (let that soak in) if I use the messaging features a lot. I'm definitely interested in the digital touch communication, I think that will be used a lot by me and my girlfriend. I just don't know if I'll be sending many texts out.

14. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

1. basic notifications are esier to check on wach that on phone in pocket
    2. reply to texts quickly while driving by speaking into phone
    3. curious about how well speaker phone will work when driving
    4. remote function for music

15. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

16. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Health/Fitness

I dont think any of the other features justify a seperate device.

17. cleirac, Feb 10, 2015

cleirac macrumors 6502

My Main Usage of Apple Watch:

As a fashion and gadget-lover accessory - a beautiful iWatch + micro-Apple computer in my wrist for quick time check ... as my instant & discreet small monitoring board ... and performing e-tasks exclusive or cooler to execute at an :apple: Watch, including only those future magical iStuffs only Apple knows which fit my stylish & geek'sh lifestyle within their entire ecosystem, thus, completing my Apple gadgets portfolio.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This brings up a question. My car (and most now) have BT. Wonder if there could be a conflict trying to use the :apple:Watch for a phone call with the car's BT trying to override.

On several occasions I have got out of my car and had my iPhone ring and tried to answer while my car's BT was still in control.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That thing where it reminds me to stand every hour. :D

20. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

- Release some pressure from my bank account
    - Attract and meet interesting people at night
    - Give Apple a more detailed accounting of my activities and vital measurements

21. virginblue4, Feb 10, 2015

virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

What will be your main usage of the Apple Watch?

Mine will be for looking at notifications while I commute to work (much better than keep getting my phone out on the train), messages, Apple Pay (when it comes to the UK) and Siri.

I also can't wait to be able to make phone calls straight from my wrist while driving!

To me it sounds like you probably can't afford one, but rather than say that, you just bash their products.

Oh and by the way, my cousin who is very much an Android fan has noted that lollipop has really slowed down his nexus 5 and introduced quite a number of bugs. Google really don't care about the customer experience.

22. griefrev macrumors member

Me too. I currently have my hospital pager programmed to forward the number or text to Messages on my iPhone. With the watch, I could turn the vibrate off on the phone and save some battery and not have to pull it out of my pocket.

I'm not completely sold on the :apple:watch, but it does show up on the "For" column.

23. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

1. Messaging
    2. :apple:Pay
    3. Fitness Tracking
    4. Siri-based Request
    5. Small Amounts of Social Media Interactions
    6. Other Types of Communication/Interactions

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yeah that was definitely a feature that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it.

25. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

1.) The time.
    2.) Reminders (appointments)
    3.) Message notification (friends/weather).
    4.) Fitness