What will happen if black SS scratches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Blazinbell, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Blazinbell macrumors member

Will the black coating come off? Or is the black SS consistently throughout the case?

2. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

3. davidsturner macrumors newbie

I work with DLC coating for a living and if it scratches it usually just turns the coating a light grey color.

4. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

How easy is it to scratch?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What happens is the Space Black owners will go home to cry themselves to sleep, then wake up to rant on MacRumors.

6. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

This video shows someone testing the DLC coating on another black watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LAMOpEVq4

7. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

Wow that pretty impressive. So in the black SS the DLC is bonded at the molecular level. Not just a coating?

8. pmau macrumors 65816

Unless they have warm milk and cookies ...

----------

It may be, but please consider that this is not a hand made traditional watch body, but a mass-produced product. I would not expect wonders.

The SS black is there for margin and to make you feel like a special snowflake (in black).

9. pflau macrumors 6502

Does it mean we can forget about a black Milanese band?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't necessarily have to be DLC coated. Marc Newson did make a black Milanese loop so I'm not sure why Apple didn't do the same. If there isn't a wear issue, they might introduce a black Milanese loop and other more compatible bands for the Space Black down the line.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, they just need to buy screen protectors, bumper cases and watch band covers before they put it on. :D

12. H3rman macrumors 6502

In the "Steel" :apple: Watch video, Ive says that the space black watches have an "additional diamond like carbon layer added to achieve a durable finish, and a brilliant appearance".

Obviously it's not going to be diamond, but the fact they say "diamond like" to me says it's going to be pretty damn hard, probably to a similar extend of the sapphire display.

13. pmau macrumors 65816

Welcome to Marketing ;)

Do not ever read the labels on women's skin care.
    All kinds of magical BS is in there.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

15. H3rman macrumors 6502

Maybe true, but to be fair, diamonds are made from carbon and are clear/colourless (I know you do get yellow diamonds). From what I've seen this is basically a black clear carbon coating on the watch, hence under bright light it looks lighter in photos because you are getting more reflection from the SS below, and in low light it looks dark in pictures.

So the chemical make up will be somewhere between graphite (black, soft and not clear) and diamond (colourless for the most part, hard and clear) no doubt in order to make it both black and clear. As such, you would expect it to be between graphite and diamond in terms of hardness as well.

16. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Exactly, Julien.

Apple has specifically stated that the Space Black Stainless Steel Apple Watch has an "additional diamond-like carbon (DLC) layer".

"Diamond-like carbon (DLC)" isn't just some BS marketing term that Apple has come up with for the Apple Watch - it is an actual thing, as shown in the Wikipedia link above.

DLC has many uses, including on watches.

Apple may not have gone into detail about how the DLC layer is added, but the simple fact that it calls it DLC gives a strong indication of what it is and how it is applied. If it was just some crappy coating that was "painted" on and could easily be scratched it wouldn't be DLC.

http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made

17. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

It will have a scratch...

18. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

DAMN!
    The hardest, strongest, and slickest is such a mixture, known as tetrahedral amorphous carbon, or ta-C. For example, a coating of only 2 μm thickness of ta-C increases the resistance of common (i.e. type 304) stainless steel against abrasive wear; changing its lifetime in such service from one week to 85 years.

19. AppleInBoi, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

AppleInBoi macrumors member

DLC is extremely hard. It's practically like coating the watch in a diamond. I believe it's black and not clear because it's amorphous. Don't let the color fool you, it's nearly as hard as crystalline diamond.

I expect to see video of people trying to scratch the surface and not being able to when folks get their hands on the SB SS.

Check out this guys video of a scratch test on a DLC coated watch band link. Most metals are actually etched away before affecting the DLC.

http://youtu.be/6WDPdznF8XE

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Doubtful that the black SS will scratch under normal wear and tear. DLC is a strong coating. Remember nothing is 100% but it would take real abuse to scratch it

21. davidsturner macrumors newbie

Easier than you would think, especially since it is a fairly thick coating by its nature.

I tried on a space black sport at my Apple Store the other day and after giving it a good look over i don't think it'll scratch very easily. They did a good job on the coating. Whoever Apple chose to be their vendor for this did a very exceptional job.

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Are you talking about the Space Gray Sport? We're talking about the DLC treated Space Black SS

23. davidsturner macrumors newbie

They are the same coating.

24. Mintimperial macrumors regular

Im pretty sure they aren't. Space Grey Aluminium is just Anodised, just like iPhone 6.

25. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

How do you figure?