What will happen to existing 3G owners when revised storage iphone is released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hudzilla, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Now that we have subsidized handsets, and have agreed a new contract, what will happen when/if apple release a new storage capacity e.g 32/64GB?

2. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

The same thing that happened when Apple released the 16GB iPhone last fall.

Nothing.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They'll float and sputter. What, you expect Apple to give them better iPhones? Give me a break.

They'll buy new ones or keep their old ones.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Rumor is that they will give you the new one for free along with $100 rebate for having to wait in line for 3G.

5. Resident Guru macrumors member

You would pay the uber price to upgrade early I would suspect. This is the reason I'm waiting, I want more storage and longer battery life before letting go of my Gen 1.

6. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

In a business sense, it would be good for them if they did what they did this time. Once a new one comes out, AT&T can have customers sign a new contract, extending the service..

See how that could work? As long as Apple keeps releasing phones, it will be instant money for both AT&T and Apple.

The iPhone is being treated differently than any other AT&T phone, so they could easily do this.

7. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Twelve.

9. rayward macrumors 68000

The iPhone is now sold like any other phone. So, when the next update occurs, if you haven't served enough time on your existing contract, you will have to wait a little bit before you can upgrade. Just like you would with the latest Nokia, Motorola etc. etc.

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Man i'm really curious about this too. I have a 16gb white iPhone 3G and I was really hoping to get a 32gb version, but there is none. I'm wondering if i'll be able to pay the cheap price when it comes out or if i'll have to pay the unsubsidized price (in which case, i won't buy it).
    Not if history repeats itself. Apple released the 16gb iPhone in January.

11. HaroldC macrumors regular

It always surprises me how people just assume that they'll get some special kind of treatment (discount or whatever) towards the next iteration of a product that you own. Granted Apple did go and offer a rebate when the prices dropped, but only because there were a lot of angry customers, and their stock prices took a hit accordingly. (remember it's all about making money)

Do you think when you buy a Ferrari and it's replacement comes out a few months later, that Ferrari will offer some sort of discount on the next one? How about that new plasma that you got, and it gets replaced in 6 months, what is Sony going to do, offer you a rebate on the new one?

Think about it.......

12. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

You are going to be paying the full price as your phone was subsidized. After 18 months you'll be upgrade eligible again.

13. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I would say it all depends on how long it takes for a monthly subscriber to pay off the subsidy AT&T provided for the phone. Like someone mentioned, if they structure it where people become eligible just as the next one comes out, people will keep re-signing despite the poor service AT&T offers.

14. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

How wrong can you be?

C'mon where do you get this stuff? Everyone knows that buyers of the 16GB will get the new 32GB for free plus two extra years on the contract with a $150 rebate. :p

15. Chanabra macrumors member

32gb ssd are more expensive then the entire iphone 3g

16. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

And? There are people out there like me that will pay the price, they should've made a higher end model.

17. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Oh sorry...my source appears to be outdated. I just checked again, you're right, the rebate is $150.

18. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Well if the difference between the subsidised and unsibsidised iPhone is larger than $175 then just eat the early cancellation charge and sign up for a new contract.

This works right?

19. cube macrumors G5

They will fail to realize that other phones are better because 32GB microSDHC cards are coming out any day now, among other things.

20. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That'll be the day - lol

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Let's face the fact. General public will always regard packaging more so than actual spec. Apple does that well, which is the reason why iPhone and iPod will destroy competition.

22. rayward macrumors 68000

I would posit that there's not many, if any, phones other than the iPhone, that need 32GB.

23. cube macrumors G5

Any phone with MP3 player with other than dumb navigation can well do with that, and it's still not enough.

24. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I guess for people that listen to each song for 10 seconds and need to move on will require an infinite storage space. How the hell can anyone listen through even 3gb worth of music in a week is beyond me.

25. rayward macrumors 68000

[Emphasis mine] That's my point. What other phones out there are easy enough to use that it encourages users to put 10,000 songs on it? Because there isn't another phone out there that encourages users to fill it with video content - that's only the iPhone and that's why it needs the storage capacity.