What will it take for you to be happy with your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulisme, Jun 26, 2010.

?

What will it take for you to be happy with your iPhone 4?

1. I'm already happy with it. No problems here.

63 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. An admission by Apple that the problem exists. I'll learn to hold the phone differently.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. A public apology from Steve Jobs himself. I'll learn to hold the phone differently.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. A free bumper.

21 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. A hardware recall.

32 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. I'll never be happy with it. I'm returning or have already returned it.

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. paulisme macrumors 6502

Given the antenna issues with the iPhone 4, what will it take for you to be happy with it? Please answer this only if you actually own an iPhone 4.

2. nednarm macrumors 6502

A complimentary bumper would be nice, I had to dish out £25 this morning for one. Luckily it stopped the antenna issues, I wasn't planning on buying a case for my phone just yet but I had to purchase this bumper otherwise I would keep dropping calls.

3. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

A refund for the bumper I paid 30$ for that probalby cost apple 50 cents.

4. a3silver macrumors member

The iPhone 4 is a new hw design, running new SW on a network (AT&T) with known problems. Most of us pre-ordered this sight-unseen. Did people really not expect some issues? Also, $2-300 is not really the 'fortune' the dramatic people make it out to be..

I spent $50K+ on a VW Toureg a few years back that would just completely die electrically on-the-road, only to reboot itself and come back to life a few minutes later.. 10 times at the dealer, they never fixed that.. and I never got anything free from VW.. So people need chill out.

5. nednarm macrumors 6502

irrelevant point. Why are you comparing a car to a phone? The iphone 4 is one of the most expensive smart phones on the market. When I pay £500 for a phone I expect it to work flawlessly.

6. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Nothing, to be honest, since I'll be returning it after the update comes out (just keeping it long enough to do testing just like what I've already done as outlined in the post linked in my sig).

A public apology from Steve Jobs would be interesting since he basically stepped into God-mode once again telling people there's a "magical" way to hold the phone that none of us have ever known before he was so kind to share it with the world.

But as his email should have remained private (sorry, samcraig, but it's kinda true) I would never dare dream he'll do such a thing. He's never apologized for anything in his entire life so, he sure as hell isn't going to start now.

The one thing I am most definitely happiest about? I didn't pay for this thing, it was gifted to me by someone but that's not stopping me from returning it, not for one second. It's just a smartphone, not the savior of the world, and I don't consider it quite so smart at this point considering I can disable it with a finger.

I mean, when I was younger my martial arts training did cover Dim Mak, aka "The Death Touch," and some related styles but, I never dreamed it could be used to disable electronics!!! :D

7. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

I hoped this thread wouldn't devolve into whether or not Apple's at fault, Apple fans are lemmings, etc., because there are a million other threads where this is going on. Let's just assume that Apple made a mistake, and given that, discuss what it will take to make you happy with your phone.

8. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

No matter what I do I can't replicate the issue. No reception loss, no yellowing of the display, all hardware in perfect working order.

I can't (personally) find anything wrong with my iPhone4. I hope the software fix makes things better for people who are having an issue but I do wonder how wide spread it actually is as I have seen two phones so far (only two I have seen) and neither have this reception issue.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh good, another useless car analogy. :rolleyes:
    I expect minimal issues after all these years.

10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I'm 99% happy with it. I just want those damn developers to update their apps to the new resolution!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For those who want a recall there already is a voluntary recall. It's called return it and move on w/ your life.

12. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, my answer was that I'm already happy with my iPhone. I've never held a phone in a way that is required to make the signal drop on this phone, though I can duplicate the issue on both mine and my wife's iPhones if I do hold it that way (I can make the signal drop on an iPhone 3GS by cupping the back, too). I do hope that Apple does something to address the issue for those it inconveniences so we can all move on. Personally the only way the antenna design is affecting me is that I have to hear about it from everyone I show my phone to in addition to having to sift through all the posts about it on the forums to get to something I'm actually interested in.

13. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

14. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm with you :) I wince when I see the Scrabble splash screen, and all those low-res home screen icons aren't helping, either.

15. pmz macrumors 68000

Option A, and with no surprise I'm in the majority, despite how loud whiners can be.

16. a3silver macrumors member

People are expecting recalls, free bumpers, it's disturbing.

How could you expect that.. It's a new design, new SW. It's foolish.

And I wouldn't have paid 500 sterling, for a phone.

17. a3silver macrumors member

point is, I never got anything free off of VW for a problem with the car that almost killed me. So, what can you expect from apple for a smartphone? It's just stupid.

18. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

your voice wasn't loud enough then, becuase I've seen VW refund or discount some pretty major things when saftey is involved.

also, did you look into your state's lemon laws?

19. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I love my iPhone 4. I did have the antenna problem but a non-bumper case has largely taken care of that (and I was planning all along on using a case anyway, so no skin off my nose). The ONLY thing I'm upset about is a software thing--I want the ability to be able to go right back to the same spot in a video if I exit the iPod app to use another app briefly. I did it all the time with my 3GS; I don't understand why that functionality has been taken away in iOS4. It gets extremely tiresome if you're like me and listen to large playlists that contain both music and music videos and will, from time to time, stop and take photos while listening to the iPod. As it is now, when I go back to pick up where I left off in the video, all I get is the main playlist screen. There's not even a "now playing" button to get back to the video. That's a pretty sizable PITA in my world.

20. diabolic macrumors 68000

Agreed.

That seems odd. Is it just music videos? I can jump in and out of a TV show and it remembers where I left off.

21. diabolic macrumors 68000

22. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Oh, I don't know, maybe because it's an Apple product and Apple preaches their stuff is (by implication) pretty much perfect and "It just works" is a company mantra?

Could have fooled me, I suppose. Most people that work as product testers get something for free, either the product itself or they get compensated for their time. Now that the iPhone 4 is out, and it's flat out defective by design and in first hand practice - disclaimer: I own one and I can disable it with a fingertip - I'd like to get compensated for my beta testing of this non-functional device.

But, since I'm returning it, I'll let Apple slide on that freebie. I won't let 'em slide on the fact that it's defective by design, however. That's a no-no, and telling me I don't know how to hold a phone? That's just insult to injury...

23. a3silver macrumors member

I did - unfortunately, the circumstances (time owned, time in the shop, VW providing me with a loaner) didn't even come close to coverage under PA lemon law. Anyway, that was my 3rd VW in a row, all were quirky. And I clearly have not learned a thing as my current car is an Audi. But VW/Audi cars share the same clean design and utilitarianism that I love in Apple Products as well. I'm very sorry to all for my blasphemy, but Apple products are all quirky to some extent, everyone should expect that.

Certainly, if you wanted a 99.99999% reliable experience on a iPhone, you should pick up the 3GS 8GB and run 3.1.3. In my opinion, for what it's worth.

24. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Nope. I just tried it with a TV show (or something I have classified as a TV show) and the same thing happened. Went back to the main playlist (episode list) for that "show." Very odd.

ETA: Just checked it also with videos that actually ARE TV shows, in case that might have had something to do with it, and the same thing happened. Instead of going back into the episode of The Office that I played, it went back to the episode list for that season. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

25. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

There's a setting for video playback to start where you left off.

settings/ipod/start playing/where left off