What will it take to make Apple TV worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iScared, Mar 31, 2015.

1. iScared macrumors member

iScared

I'll be honest, I have owned an Apple TV for 3 years and to me, it's an overpriced box that runs four apps that I actually use, and a bunch of apps that are too specific in interest for most people, in my opinion, and myself to actually use.

In my opinion, Apple TV is not yet worth buying. And if WWDC doesn't bring out an Apple TV 3 with loads of new features, I probably will switch to Amazon.

Here's the thing, it runs an (overly priced) app store for rentals as well as buying music, shows, and movies. Yes, it does stream your computer, but streaming is always out of whack. The only reason why I still have it is that I can stream from my computer movies and shows without a problem. Other than that, it doesn't have any apps that make it any more special than Roku or Amazon TV (imho, Hulu and Netflix are overrated garbage).

If I were to keep Apple TV (aka upgrade to Apple TV 3 if it is true that there will be one released in June), it would need an App Store, a remote that actually worked correctly, and (not required) maybe a few more shiny features just to seal the deal. And no, making it silver, gold, or gray colored does not make everything A-Okay.

Do you think it's worth it?

What do you think it will take if it's not to make it worthwhile?

And...let the haters hate.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I own an Apple TV, purchased new last year. I'll be honest, being that I can get Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes on my Mac, iPads and iPhones I just don't see the need for a dedicated device like the Apple TV. I agree, the Apple TV needs more features to make it worthy of purchase, though I'm unsure as to what those features would be.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

At the new price, I think its pretty worth it. A wireless monitor on any TV in my house is something I use quite often! And I'm one of those weirdos who buys movies and shows through iTunes, so it's convenient for me :p

But honestly, if you're only using 4 apps on it, why even own it? What drove your purchase in the first place? Would switching to another set top box solve anything? Is there a need to be met?

4. iScared thread starter macrumors member

iScared

I bought it because at the time I was using Hulu+ as well as streaming movies and shows. Now though, Apple TV is kind of useless to me, and Amazon TV would be able to fill the void that Apple TV cannot, which is that it can stream movies and shows that Hulu nor Netflix has of that capacity.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Already locked in on the digital copies to a point.

The app store. If I can stream my Utraviolet collection, that's gold. I can't do that now and it irritates the crap out of me so I'm waiting for ATV4. If it doesn't have it, I'm going to ROKU. I can transfer the Disney films to VUDU and eat the few movies in iTunes that I purchased and convert the rest for a couple of bucks a pop. The vast majority of our iTunes is digital copies that came with BDs and thankfully a UVVU copy of Apple hangs us out to dry.

7.1 audio is also a must.

Other nice to haves:

1. 4k capability. Doesn't have to have it day one, just the ability to upgrade.
    2. A slick trick would be for the thing to serve as a client for home streaming systems like the DirecTV Genie, Cable Co DVRs, or TiVo. Put the big box in a spare room and have ATV4s everywhere consolidating all services.
    3. Support for stuff like ATMOS would be slick.
    4. If not item 2, then an HDMI pass through would be a nice touch.
    5. Won't happen, but a built in BD player would be a nice substitute for 2 or 4.
    6. HomeKit.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I forgot all about HomeKit, Apple should do something to integrate that into the Apple TV. I think that alone would increase its value quite a bit.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Nothing wrong with not needing something. But for me the ATV seems to be the only easy why to get content that I shoot onto my large TV set.

Real Question: If you shoot HD video with a camera, how do you display it on the TV in 1080 HD?

8. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I don't watch much TV, but I do have several hundred iTunes movies. For watching those, Apple TV is great; no fumbling about with discs.

9. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

"Not worth it" is a very subjective measure. I have a Mac Mini behind my main TV, but there are two other TVs in different parts of the house using the same iTunes library via Apple TV. Not sure how I could leverage that same library across three TVs in a simpler and more economical way.

Everything else is just gravy.

10. schlotz macrumors member

Many views on it's usefulness, and they are all valid. Again, it comes down to "personal" preferences. My main desire was to stream our continually expanding movie library (now over 500) to both our living room and bedroom. The iTunes solution didn't cut it but the PLEX media server in combo with Plexconnect did :) If Apple deploys an app store I'm truly hopeful this will allow a direct Plex app vs the current work around. Since we have a very acceptable solution at the moment, it will be easier to take our time to evaluate the benefits Apple brings next.

Would really like to see more competition come about in this field. IMO the prices due to lack of competition have grown uncontrolled for way too long. Cord cutting under these conditions is difficult, obviously by design. EX) we have no intentions of dropping DirecTv strictly due to their NFL Ticket, nobody else has it! If Apple were able to negotiate an agreement with the NFL we would have an serious option to consider, especially combined with other available channels. JMTC

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Simply it needs to be more open.

If i want to use UV, so be it - let me play UV movies.
    I'd like Sky to be a channel on the ATV, this would allow me to watch on multiple TVs (happy to pay for the multichannel support) - ok agree its UK specific, but if I'm blunt, so what, i sick of seeing only US centric stuff on it.
    Open it up to developers and content providers
    Better Audio support
    A neater interface
    Ability to connect a USB device so as to make it into a DVR
    More chrome like in terms of how streaming works, the chrome system where you just use a browser to talk to it, then its an A - B conversation without the 3rd device in the middle.

12. iScared thread starter macrumors member

iScared

I think that Apple TV needs to be open source to a degree as well, I mean, think about how limitless Apple TV could become if you allowed, within reason, anyone to come into the playing field.
    For someone who wants to change the TV from suckish and boring, they arent doing a great job like they have with the iPhone and iPad.

13. UAV macrumors regular

for sky checkout radiosity.sx it has many sky channels

14. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

For me it was worth it

I use the AppleTV all the time for airplay (Lynda.com, Rdio, throwing a quick video up on the screen, or photos). Those reasons along with the iTunes library, Netflix, Podcasts (I like the way I can start watching and pick up later from another iOS device), and Youtube along with an occasional video rental which I don't think are much more than any other service I have easily available. I also use iTunes Match (when my computer is off) and iTunes Radio.

I also own a Roku and Chromecast, but I use the Appletv about 95 percent of the time. I have Vudu on Roku that I use on occasion. I also have Amazon Prime, but I rarely seeing anything on Prime that I want to watch that isn't already on Netflix.

I already spent the money on AppleTV3 and AppleTV2 (jailbroken), but all the rumors are pointing to a new AppleTV soon, so I would not buy one right now. I would just wait it out.

I will probably get at least one of the next version AppleTVs even if they just made it work faster...however, I bet they have more in store for the next version.

15. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Simple.

Import it into iTunes in the home movies section. Make sure homesharing is enabled and watch via the Apple TV.

Or use iMovie on your Mac import your video then transfer it over to iMovie theater which you can access on the Apple TV.

16. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

24p support and output of whatever frame rate the video is recorded in (let the tv handle the pulldown and image processing).
    With Apple TV3, videos are choppy unless the frame rate is a multiple of 60. (Or 50 if you choose that instead of "auto" in settings.

44.1kHz output for music

App Store

Only thing that is useful with the current Apple TV is AirPlay mirroring, playback of random short videos and photos.

17. RedCroissant Suspended

It is already worth it but the one thing that will make it even more worth it is if it had either 4k or 5k capabilities so that streaming from any Mac would still look awesome on a secondary display.

I wish that it came in white ( I think the airport express is nice and since it's the same form factor and size, the same color would also be nice).

18. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

The Apple TV software is the limitation right now. Unlike an iPhone or iPad, which run applications on top of a base iOS, all of the channels on Apple TV are part of the Apple TV application than runs on iOS.

That's right, one application.

That means any new channel has to be part of that application, which requires Apple to curate them if for no other reason than there's no way to get on the device otherwise.

Hopefully, Apple has been at work redesigning things so there's a base Apple TV OS that's either a variant of iOS or a special application that functions like an OS, allowing individual channels to be independent apps that can be written by any 3rd party and downloaded/included at the request of the end user.

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

By the way there already is an Apple TV 3... And it's been out for 2+ years...
    I don't think the Apple TV is overpriced. $100 isn't that much money for what it can do.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I have two ATV1's that don't get used much now. I have four others (a mix of 2's and 3's, I think) that are used all the time.

Worth it (to me) for $99 a pop. The ATV1's cost more $ (I forget exactly) and did less than today's models, but were still worth it back then.

Horses for courses.

21. quamdar macrumors newbie

Unless they add a DVR for OTA or make it a home automation solution or something like that I am going Roku. No reason to buy a streaming device that doesn't even have Amazon Prime...

22. oneMadRssn, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

As many above have said, it would be nice if the ATV had a way for anyone to submit an app/channel, not just those who Apple allows/chooses.

Specifically though, of the apps/channels it doesn't currently have, I would want: Amazon Prime for streaming, Tablo or Simple.tv for OTA, and EZTVnet for my Russian-speaking family.

The Tablo/Simple.tv app is what I want most - I have an OTA antenna already, but I want DVR-like functionality for it. I have looked at ChannelMaster and Tivo OTA, but those don't look dated and don't have nearly as many features for the cost. Tablo looks great, but there is no AppleTV app, which is a shame.

With that, it would also be nice to have a better way to organize the apps/channels. I think similar to how it is within a current channel would work, there is a top bar menu / folder with icons / thumbnails under it, I would want a similar setup on the main screen. I would have a top bar menu / folder for sports, news, streaming services, user-created content, and misc other.

These above things would make the AppleTV golden for me. I would gladly pay $200 for an AppleTV that does the above and nothing else. Indeed, I don't think there is a reason the current hardware can't do the above.

That said, at $70, the current AppleTV is totally worth it.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Roku has DVR for OTA?!??

24. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think the Apple TV has the best Netflix interface over the other options as they are all a bit annoying to navigate. That's a reason I use it over the smart TV or the Xbox. I also use Airplay quite a bit and it seems to be the best wireless mirroring solution over chrome cast and samsungs poor effort.

The main page of Apple TV is a mess though with new channels appearing randomly that I never use as they mostly need yet another subscription. These devices should be about 1 account for whatever content you need. Unfortunately for us, the studios and channels don't want us to have it so easy as they want exclusive rights. Yet, our governments are also working against us for trying to fight these money hungry maniacs with the only reasonable way we can, downloading illegally. If our governments worked for us, they'd let the old fashioned content providers be forced to change by the demand of the viewers. Instead, we overpay for content and get ads and shopping channels to compensate us. We need companies to help us move away from this massive rip off. Netflix are a massive step in the right direction. But, when the money is still with HBO and Fox, they will always have the best position to bargain with the content creators. It's time we got value for money and got what we want instead of paying too much for value in a small percentage of it.

So, one device, one subscription, monthly flexibility, live sports, no ads, no data capture, work on any platform, no geoblocking and a pay per episode/season if you want. How hard can that be? Oh yeah, very hard because a bunch of freeloading CEO's would have to work for a living.

25. machtv macrumors regular

news flash this already exist just not on appletv.
    radiosity.sx enough said