What will it take to make Apple TV worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iScared, Mar 31, 2015.

1. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

It really needs Siri or voice commands. And an app store with support for BT controllers.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Siri is less than pointless... it doesn't work on anything else, I just cant see it working on the ATV either.

3. brianlbaker macrumors regular

brianlbaker

Yeah, I'm aware that Apple iOS isn't open source, but, for all intents and purposes, AirPlay/ChromeCast/etc, is.

So, if radiosity or machtv really wants to be "Open Source" :)rolleyes:) then watching their channels in the browser of my choice, and AirPlaying it to my TV, should be acceptable. And, they would make more money.

4. machtv macrumors regular

well there are a many reason why we don't but i will just bring up a few.
    1. their are already online viewing services that allow you to view content via your broweser. so no need for use to follow them. here is just one but there are many many more>>http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/
    2. putting content on line via a web browser leaves us open to ddos attacks and other security issues, like malware re-routes
    3. the use of a roku to get access to our content just makes it a very easy and user friendly expiernece.

5. brianlbaker macrumors regular

brianlbaker

Yeah, there's the rub. Roku interface just isn't as easy to use as my ATV. I can interface with my phone and pad, seamlessly, and I get HBO NOW, now.

I've had chromecast and firetv, and used roku at a friends house. I've also used the wii and ps interfaces. None works as well as AppleTV, and none of the rest give me iTunes.

Deal breaker.

6. machtv macrumors regular

well no system is perfect because if there was a perfect system then everyone would be using that one. sometimes/most of the times you have to make choices. you have already made your choice and it works for you. as for me i would much rather have content. over interfaces just give me all the possible content i can get on my tv. not just HBO and itunes. i want all the hbo,showtime,starz,encore,ppv event, wwe, new movies before they even hit hbo or netflix all the sports nba,nhl,mlb,nfl etc... and am happy you can keep all the other apple crap. this is just my opinion and you have yours to each his own.

7. brianlbaker macrumors regular

brianlbaker

No worries. I do wonder why you come to an Apple Forum to market your non-apple accessible product, though. Why would I want a product that practices troll marketing? That alone makes me suspect of your company.

I certainly would not want to entrust my credit card information to a troll marketeer.

8. machtv macrumors regular

there are dozens of ads on this forum that does not advertise apple stuff. as far as i know this is a open forum and not a closed forum that is only for apple
    users. and i have never ever ask you for a credit card info. and i agree with you i would NOT trust my card info with anyone not even applepay why would i give them my info. i would much rather use bitcoins. as it is far more secure than any system that uses old credit card technology.

9. brianlbaker macrumors regular

brianlbaker

I never suggested it wasn't an open forum. Ad sales here are from everywhere. I simply think troll marketing is sleazy. My credit card is with iTunes, if that's what you meant. Are you saying that if I wanted to subscribe to your product, I'd have to use bitcoin?

No thanks. Too many folks have lost to much money in bitcoin for my taste. I made some money in bitcoin when the value artificially soared alongside the value of gold, but was lucky enough to cash out before holding companies suddenly disappeared.

I like the concept of bitcoin, but I always hear the voice of George H.W. Bush saying, "there's no there, there."

10. robertpolson macrumors regular

Nothing really.

I used to be an Apple TV fan and still have three sets in my house. However, I am seeing all of them as Plex and Kodi have completely replaced Apple TV. I can't really think of anything that the new Apple TV can do better than Kodi or Plex.

11. brianlbaker macrumors regular

brianlbaker

I don't have anything to load PLEX or KODI on. My computing is done at work on a PC, and at home on an iPad, or my iPhone. There is a barely working old MacBook Pro, that's 9 years old, but its wifi is about dead.

If I buy a used mini, then maybe. Interesting thought. I do like my ATV a lot.

What do you see as the pluses of PLEX/KODI over ATV3?

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Rebrand the anemic bottom of the line Mac Mini to ATV4 and sell it for 250 dollars as it can now pretty much do anything desired other than 4k 60fps.

1) More types of software can be installed
    2) local drive
    3) decent wireless (AC)
    4) Chassis is not overly big and remains height-wise quite slim
    5) add external drives and other devices

Yep, at 250 it would be worth the upgrade in price and even more so if Apple would just accept that there is more than iTunes store out there (though they could make it the easiest means to an end within the Mac Mini ATV).

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This is what I am thinking about because I have more than 100 movies in the iTunes library. I haven't watch all of them yet. I am saving it for 4th gen ATV. :apple:

14. robertpolson macrumors regular

I now have an Intel NUC i3 and a Raspberry Pi 2. Loaded with Kodi, these devices can do everything including but not limited to

- Playing MKV or any other media files
    - Streaming hundreds of online channels
    - Streaming media content from NAS without needing to have iTunes running on my laptop
    - User accounts
    - Extensions and flexibility (I am looking forward to setting up Kodi so that when I start playing a movie, Philips Hue lights automatically change colors to accommodate the movie mood)
    - Much more.

15. RenoG macrumors 65816

With the recent price drop I finally purchased one, it's worth it to me as it now simply for the Airdrop function, I couldn't care less for anything else besides that actually. I have my trusty PS3 slim which more than satisfy all my other media needs.

16. expectdelay macrumors member

expectdelay

I use it every day

For me, its invaluable. The price is so low, and i use many of it's features often - at least one of them basically every single day (netflix, hulu+, itunes match, ESPN, MLS, MLB, HBO GO, FX, icloud photos, mirror screen / screen extension of my macbook pro and my iphone). And there are many others that i don't use often but its great to have them when i do (podcasts, radio, pbs, youtube, many others). When the next version comes out and includes an app store and some further enhancements it will be a killer.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I really really hope that is what happens. My cynical side thinks that when introducing their own streaming service, Apple will remove any channel that offers a competing service (Netflix, etc) and not open it up to third party apps.

On the flip side, my otimistic side things Apple could introduce a "tvKit" API that allows iphone or ipad apps to also come with an ATV extention, and being able to install that extension on available ATVs. Sort of like it does now with the Apple Watch.

18. tdale macrumors 65816

Why create another app store?

Make the ATV4 an iPad in a box. App Store is already there. Create/convert/port the ATV home screen to iOS format including apps, make it look the same, done

I'd like my ATV4 to be the only STB I need for SVOD. For non Apple users, a cheapish way to do that. Triple the price, still cheap

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I don't think it's that easy. For one, how do you replicate touch gestures on a TV? Second, I don't think I can read 12pt font nearly as well from 6ft away. Third, I'd rather not type on a TV...

20. tdale macrumors 65816

The point is not to make the ATV4 an iPad, its to use the iPad iOS to allow an easy conversion to a usable ATV4, where anyone can dev apps, and for tasks that are TV friendly such as SVOD, its all there. In the US, ATV content is aplenty, elsewhere its not. There are many remote apps for using the ATV4 from an iPhone/iPad, so that will replace touch, or use touch on the iPhone/iPad.

Assuming that ATV is not iOS now, or OSX, to create a whole new app store that devs will support with a different OS is too much effort. Use the iPad iOS as the conduit to making an ATV more useful

21. H.Finch macrumors regular

Here's what it needs for me: Top grade hardware... And app store... An awesome bluetooth game controller... and an exclusive contract for the next Zelda release! (one can dream)

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

ATV already runs iOS.

23. tdale macrumors 65816

Does it? Tks for that. So doesnt this allow an easy transition to an iPad in a box, with existing AppStore and therefore existing access to apps/content delivery that is not on the locked down ATV? Makes it an international "has it all" STB IMO

Which can replace a TV, which was Apple's goal. Sales. Apple users will upgrade, many non Apple users will as well, and some of the may gravitate to Apple, more sales.

24. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

my main reasons to buy Apple TV Were two features;

Air Play mirroring from my macbook (and now my iMac) to get rid of the cable.

and accessing my movies and tv shows on my actual tv so i can actually enjoy my digital collection from my sofa and view it on my tv rather than watch all of it at a computer.

with the latter option (Streaming) this ruled out the need for consistent HQ HDMI video pass through to the tv from a mac. airplay is excellent for sharing web browsing, email etc etc.

if the apple tv could do neither of these, i would not have bought one.

in the present, there is one major feature that makes me glad i do have it - HBO Now.

i also like using net flex from the apple tv, to watch netflix on my tv the way it should be watched.

i can not imagine other reasons to buy an Apple TV (the apps it has) its overpriced. for my use cases, it was a good deal for me, and i can't wait for an updated Apple TV if they bring in a few features to reinvigorate it - namely an app store for games, controller support etc.

if they also supported more formats that would be great.

USB support for external drives would be a must have for me, so i wouldn't have to keep my Macs on to watch my collection.

25. AppleRyan macrumors member

I purchased mine a few years ago for the sole purpose of using it to stream my movies that i have on itunes, (alittle pricey for that i know). However i now use HBO Now, and sometimes i will airplay things from my Mac/iPhone.