Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There is still good music today, it is just because of the availability of music that the average person with no musical talent or training has a large voice on what becomes popular. It takes digging, but you can't deny that skrillex is in a league above the dubstep, eminem is really good with lyrics and rhythm, and John Mayer really knows how to throw down a sweet riff with a modern twist. Because the older generations never give the new stuff a chance they never get to analyze what is good about it and separate the great musicians of today from the rest. In the future, hopefully the musicians will have enough influence to keep depth and creativity in whatever the world pays for.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
99% of "innovation" in music nowadays is little more than splintering genres into subgenres. For example, dubstep is not the groundbreaking innovation it's made out to be by today's music pundits; it's a refinement of breakbeat, which stems from techno, which has its origins in house, which in turn has roots in... you guessed it, disco.

Back when Prince left the Warner label and went "indie", he was featured in an interview where he described the market for these two camps. Camp 1 fans are what he called music lovers-- those who will hear an artist on the radio or other source, and then do some research which will usually result in purchase of the album and possibly back catalog sales. They consider music an art form.

He called Camp 2 fans music consumers: those who will hear a song, purchase or otherwise obtain just that song or maybe one more single, then discard it when the next musical flavor of the week comes along. They consider music a commodity.
Wow that really seems to be the case. Exactly so. It also explains a lot.

Michael

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There is still good music today, it is just because of the availability of music that the average person with no musical talent or training has a large voice on what becomes popular. It takes digging, but you can't deny that skrillex is in a league above the dubstep, eminem is really good with lyrics and rhythm, and John Mayer really knows how to throw down a sweet riff with a modern twist. Because the older generations never give the new stuff a chance they never get to analyze what is good about it and separate the great musicians of today from the rest. In the future, hopefully the musicians will have enough influence to keep depth and creativity in whatever the world pays for.

You lost me at John Mayer. There are far better people out there in his genre making much better music.

I'm 44, and it's not that I don't give new music a chance, I most certainly do, and find those diamonds once in a while. The problem I have is that music is stagnant and has been for decades. It's mostly rehash, and the best we can hope for is that it's really good rehash. For example- Mastodon. Great band, but it's nothing we haven't heard before. There has not been anything fresh, exciting, new or scary at all for decades. Entire social/political movements used to led by music. It doesn't happen anymore. It's as if the young have given up.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Probably leekohler is right and music will remain stagnant for the next century at least. The variety of music in the 20th century was amazing but the huge burst in creativity seems to have fizzled out for awhile.

I'm an Optimist though.
The best music ever hasn't happened yet!

There we'll be, all stagnated in the musical doldrums, thinking that leekohler was right again and someone is going to pop up out of the blue and set the (musical) world on fire.
I'm even willing to bet a comma or exclamation mark on it. Possibly even an "eek!" smiley.

I've spent the last month listening to online Russian radio stations. There's a lot of talent there and that's just one country. Someone, somewhere on this big 'ol planet is almost certain to pop out of obscurity and set off a whole new Genre. Eventually, it's a near certainly. But will it be within 100 years?

So where and when is the next big musical tidal wave coming from? Let's wait and see! :D

I'm pretty sure it won't be William Hung....

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I find it funny how people say music is so bad today. There has always been bad music, much like there has always been good music, only now there is more music in as a whole, so there is more crap to sift through to find the good stuff.

Also, not that it really needs to be said but, what you think sounds great might sound utterly crap to others. That doesn't make either of you wrong though.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
That's a deep music-history ignorance ever!
Do you realize that music "wasn't discovered" in the last 50 years, do you?
:rolleyes:

Yes, I realize that.
I still feel that the best music ever isn't here yet.

Even with a little knowledge of music through the ages.

Why would you think I didn't consider the music predating the 20th century for the last thousand years or so? Are you some kind of classical musical snob?
I'm not even a huge fan of the music of "the last 50 years" though there's no denying the amount of variety and talent we were fortunate enough to witness firsthand.

Are you making the assumption that I feel the next big thing is going to be anything like the music of the last 50 years? Or for that matter the last thousand?
It might be like that, but I doubt it.

See you at the Opera, (seriously) ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I find it funny how people say music is so bad today. There has always been bad music, much like there has always been good music, only now there is more music in as a whole, so there is more crap to sift through to find the good stuff.

Also, not that it really needs to be said but, what you think sounds great might sound utterly crap to others. That doesn't make either of you wrong though.

Oh, there's plenty of good music being made for sure, just nothing groundbreaking, new or challenging. It's all rehash of the same old stuff. That's why I think it probably won't change much in the future.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Oh, there's plenty of good music being made for sure, just nothing groundbreaking, new or challenging. It's all rehash of the same old stuff. That's why I think it probably won't change much in the future.

I agree that music has reached a bit of a plateau, but with the sheer quantity being made there's sure to be something groundbreaking, even if it isn't front page news.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I agree that music has reached a bit of a plateau, but with the sheer quantity being made there's sure to be something groundbreaking, even if it isn't front page news.

I've been waiting for 30 years. When there are entire stores dedicated to the "punk" and "metal" look, I don't have a lot of faith.

What I'm talking about is a musical movement that drives fashion, culture and politics. We have not had that since the early 80s. Kids who are trying to "rebel" these days look exactly like I did in the 80s- oh, scary. :rolleyes: I'm frickin 44 years old! Why are kids dressing and listening to the same kinds of music I did? It's insanely boring.

I challenge the the youth of today to freak me out, scare me, do things I'm afraid of and piss me off. That's what youth is about! It's called progress, and I don't see much of it these days.

The closest we've come is Lady Gaga's meat dress. Even that is not that crazy.

Marilyn Manson's new video did creep me out though- and he's my age:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XYbPMcX9A&feature=related

Warning- it's explicit. Mods, delete if need be.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Hopefully not like Country.

Or like Justin Beiber or T-Pain.

Funny thing is, without autotune T-Pain is still a decent singer.

I've been waiting for 30 years. When there are entire stores dedicated to the "punk" and "metal" look, I don't have a lot of faith.

What I'm talking about is a musical movement that drives fashion, culture and politics. We have not had that since the early 80s. Kids who are trying to "rebel" these days look exactly like I did in the 80s- oh, scary. :rolleyes: I'm frickin 44 years old! Why are kids dressing and listening to the same kinds of music I did? It's insanely boring.

I challenge the the youth of today to freak me out, scare me, do things I'm afraid of and piss me off. That's what youth is about! It's called progress, and I don't see much of it these days.

The closest we've come is Lady Gaga's meat dress. Even that is not that crazy.

Marilyn Manson's new video did creep me out though- and he's my age:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XYbPMcX9A&feature=related

Warning- it's explicit. Mods, delete if need be.

That video was crap (in my opinion). Just because something's weird doesn't make it revolutionary and groundbreaking. I'm not quite sure what you are expecting to hear or see to be honest... Why do people need to rebel anyway? There's nothing wrong with making good music within an already existing genre for an audience that already exists, and pushing that genre a little.

Last edited:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Funny thing is, without autotune T-Pain is still a decent singer.

That video was crap (in my opinion). Just because something's weird doesn't make it revolutionary and groundbreaking. I'm not quite sure what you are expecting to hear or see to be honest... Why do people need to rebel anyway? There's nothing wrong with making good music within an already existing genre for an audience that already exists, and pushing that genre a little.

The point is that music used to be used to provoke or incite certain political or social movements. Manson is using his talents in this case to ask you how you feel about child abuse in America, not because of how he feels it should be punished, but why it happens in the first place. And then, why it isn't punished. Why do child abusers go unpunished if it happens within religion? Or, why does it get excused within our own families?

The most important line in that song is "I can never leave". Because that's how abused children and even adults feel-helpless.

Last edited:

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Its hard to figure out what it will sound like but honestly except for a few artists today. People still seem to like the classics like the rolling stones, Led Zeppelin and even going back to cole porter.

I can't see bands like foster the people for example leaving a good lasting impression on music because that type of music seems to be filler.

What I'm surprised at that the baby boomers had so many bands that came out of that period of unrest of vietnam and the civil rights era. Yet the social upheaveals like the economy and wars of the early 21st century have not invoked that type of creativity.

JeroenvdSchaaf

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
? futuristic (to us)

If you had told me growing up that autotuning would be a popular sound, I would have laughed in your face. As one 40 years ago could have predicted the musical tastes of today, I can't even begin to project out 100 years.

Some people actually did predict music 40 years ago. This was not only because they were pioneering with electronics and geniuses, it was partly caused by one of the most important things that dictate nowadays music production: electronics. It was very revolutionary back then. I personally find it hard to believe that someone is making music 'we' consider way too progressive now, but will be totally dominating charts in 40 years.

Check this, from 1959: Cindy Electronium
I think that was quite foreseeing.

Now check this track, a very moderate hit in the Netherlands, been around since 2007:Skinny Jeans

Of course, the second track sounds more 2000ish, but that's a development in production. That will develop for sure, including autotuning which cannot be detected anymore by closely listening.

Raymond Scott, the composer and performer of the first linked track, was a thinker: he imagined the musical future as a composer on stage, "thinking the music". It would be transferred in 'some way' to the audience. When that becomes possible, it will be revolutionary for sure: composing skills are no longer necessary, being able to think the music would be sufficient.

Hardrock/metal from 20 years ago isn't really that hardrock/metal anymore :). It's now labeled as rock often. More intense producing, with more tracks, more sounds, higher bpms - that's already an ongoing trend.

Very interesting topic this!

Unless some really technical revolution takes place

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How do you think music will develop over the next hundred years?

What do you think music will sound like by the end of our lifetime and 100 years from now?

What did music sound like 100 years ago? I wouldn't know much of non-classical music from that time, but you can have a listen to Art Tatum, or Cab Calloway, on iTunes. That takes you 80 years back. Doesn't sound that much different from today.

Hermione22

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
That's an interesting thing to think about. In my opinion techno will take on a whole new form. And basically all type of music will be computer made.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Music is part of what makes us human and will remain so. As for the perceived lack of something earthshattering that launches a social movement, I put that down to fragmentation of our society. The much maligned technology mentioned, including new avenues of distribution are allowing lots more people to make and publicise their music than ever before! Which is both good and bad of course.

Think of ages past, there was elite music sponsored by rulers, and often religions (sometimes they were linked). There was also "vulgar" popular music enjoyed by the lower classes. Of course the audience sometimes overlapped, many in the upper classes surely enjoyed a ribald drinking song. Peasants could hear divine music at mass. Come to think of it-there was some fragmentation at this time as well, sailors had their own songs, lower classes would not have heard Mozart's operas.

Anyway, no need to despair, Beiber will be long-forgotten in a few decades but others will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.