What Will Realistically Be Released This Fall if Broadwell is delayed till Early 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Jun 6, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Or at least, Intel promised for Broadwell release late 2014, but that seems like a struggle for Apple to rush their products to sale. I'm in the market for a rMBP, but have waited this long, figure I can hold out a few more months.

2. amt2002 macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about it dude, Apple may get an early exclusive and launch as planned in October. They will have been supplied with test release versions of these chips for many months (maybe even years) now so can't see it being 'rush' to get these things out. Intel would have set a date with them early this year.

3. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Realistically ?

100MHz spec bump. Perhaps minor price drop. Perhaps.

4. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Why bother waiting for Broadwell when Skylake will be released soon after Broadwell due to all the delays? You should have bought a rMBP a long time ago.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think Broadwell will be delayed but I'll not be surprised if apple holds off on updating their MBP line until 2015 if the actual release is late 2014, i.e., November.

6. alex0002, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

alex0002 macrumors 6502

2010 gave us the first Intel Core i5 and i7 CPU models.
    2011 gave us the Sandy Bridge CPU, SATA-III and Thunderbolt.
    2012 gave us the Ivy Bridge CPU, USB-3 and the introduction of the Retina range.
    2013 gave us Retina upgrades with Haswell, Iris Pro and PCIe SSDs.
    2014 ....

I'm sure that Apple are aware that people are expecting more than just a minor CPU speed bump.

7. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Nice timeline. Apple might currently be the stern mentor of Intel, constantly pushing them to be better, but there is only so much their 'motivational speeches' can accomplish.

8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

the mac pro, the iMac, the mac-mini, and the i devices of course.

Haswell-E should be out pretty soon so expect a mac-pro refresh.

I don't think you'll see a macbook pro refresh until February. That's my feeling about it.

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I don't think that we will see Broadwell Macbook's this year. Isn't there an upgraded Haswell coming out?

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

not for mobile

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I upgrade every year so I am looking forward to the refresh. However, I am much more pessimistic about the fall refresh after Computex 2014. I would bet Apple is nervous as well.

Krzanich put on a brave face and stated a holiday release for Broadwell. However, Intel engineers and contractors have whispered that a holiday release is a 50/50 chance at best.

If you look at their progress over the last 18 months or so, its hard to think that they'll suddenly triple their progress for the holidays.

Most of the articles after Computex allude to a more realistic 2015 release. A few mentioned a 2014 MBPr with a Broadwell CPU highly unlikely.

I hope their wrong but everything points to a slim chance for a holiday release.

-P

12. SoloArTist macrumors newbie

Does anyone expect a refresh in July? Even a small one?

13. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It is an extraordinarily minor update (amounts to 0.1Ghz) and its only matches up with the high end model. Honestly, given how powerful the current rMBP models are it would be hard to justify waiting for it... if Apple even bothers pushing it out.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Agreed. There is nothing technology wise that would warrant the wait for a macbook pro. Just buy one if you need one or want one.

the mac pro refresh on the other hand is worth waiting for. :apple:

15. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

It wouldn't be the first time Apple could get their hands on a new chip from Intel early. Apple could surprise us with the first ever Broadwell notebooks in late 2014.

I doubt Apple would go for a 100MHz speed bump on a Pro machine. Or maybe they will and then drop the price like they did with the MBA.

16. Sparta1978 macrumors newbie

what do you do with your old MacBooks exactly?

----------

i find it difficult buying a 2013 machine at the full price in the middle of 2014

17. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

Why he burns them of course, what else are you to do with a year-old Mac? :rolleyes:

18. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The only way for Apple selling non-Broadwell, Retina Macbooks later this year will be providing a new feature/redesign: touch-ID, NFC, igzo display and so on. The 5-10% clock speed bump would be a disaster for sales.

19. Sparta1978 macrumors newbie

I hope Pentad answers, as I am very curious about the details of a system where he is able to update every year.

20. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It's not that ridiculous if he can sell them for only a few hundred less than a new one. After absorbing the cost for the first computer, he'd basically be buying a brand new MBP for only a few hundred every year. Used ones are still fetching pretty high prices.

21. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I just want them to increase the base storage...seems like it's been on 128 forever. I need 256, and gone are the days I could just swap in my Crucial SSD from my old MBP.

22. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Let's be frank, a broadwell upgrade would only be 5-10% faster anyway. I don't see how it would be a disaster for sales if Intel hasn't released new chips. I would like to think someone buying a $1300 laptop would be a bit more informed when it comes to tech.

23. senzung, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

senzung macrumors newbie

senzung

Also in the market for a rMBP, my current one has screen ghost problem worsen everyday after warranty expired. :(
    I like surprises, but hate waiting more. Unfortunately I think new rMBP line is kindof driven by this new Intel chip as major selling point, because:
    1. Judging by new OSX, there seems to be no architectural change in feature to be introduced in new MBP.
    2. Thinner? It is already comfortably thin, another 1mm wouldnt make that much difference.
    3. Graphics card? It surely will be 8xx speed bump but not that surprising considering most highend gaming laptop already have them, some offer two in SLI.
    4. Lighter? That probably a plus point.

24. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Given the information and timelines we've received from Intel, we would be much more likely to see the Airs and 13" MBPs updated with the 15" MBPs waiting for quad-core Broadwells.

25. smakdown61 macrumors regular

Don't expect huge CPU gains with Broadwell. It's main focus is power efficiency and improved integrated GPUs. My guess is even better battery life and will probably see the iris pro w/ edram in the 13" mbp.