What will the iPhone pattern be going forward?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zepaw, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

A larger surprise to me than the iPhone delays is at this point it seems near certain the next iPhone will not just be an iPhone 4 with some internal changes. Myself and most people here seemed to think this would follow the pattern of an "off-year" with an iPhone 4s style upgrade but we only had a history of a few years to pull from.

Considering the resources Apple has people, money, and more they could easily craft a brand new iPhone each year or take the time to revise it heavily every other year as we expected. Do you think it will follow a predictable pattern after iP5 or are we silly for trying to find the patterns?

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I think a lot of people will be really disappointed if there is not a redesign on the next iPhone.

3. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Things have changed a lot since Apple was the only game in town and they could take 2-3 years to change/modernize their design. Now with plenty of fantastic Android phones out there, Apple really needs to step up their design cycle. A new phone every two years just isn't going to cut it these days.

Now, do I think Apple will step up to the challenge this year? I think no. Do I think they should? Most certainly.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

People seem to have a warped idea of the iPhone's release pattern.

Apart from the one year of the 3GS, every other release has been a complete redesign.

Not sure what is going through people's heads here, but the 3GS release was the odd one out, so there's no reason to think this year will be an "iPhone 4s"

5. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

The problem is there have only been 3 new models
    do far and that is not a lot of data to draw conclusions about what an "average" refresh is

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The first model doesn't count as a model change if you're trying to predict future cycles. There was one change to 3G/s and then one to a 4. Two total models after the first, and three releases

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Plaid.