What will the next gen Xbox run for a graphics chip?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by waloshin, Oct 1, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

I personally think a Nvidia Ion 2 , dual core or quad core what do you think?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You have no idea what you're talking about. The ion line is for low power netbooks. GPUs don't have cores in the sense that CPUs do. They have shaders, ROPs, etc.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

If an Ion 2 can run Windows Vista/7, plus play Bioshock 2 then there should be no reason why a Ion 2m dual core or quad core could not run the next gen Xbox, especially as the Xbox doesn't have to run a Windows environment.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ion has a ridiculously lower TDP compared to what they could and will fit in a next generation console. Second, dual, quad etc core has no physical meaning for a GPU because they don't use cores like CPUs do. OS overhead means very little to a GPU. That's the CPU's problem.

Bioshock 2 is a meaningless metric for evaluating performance. The next xbox will likely have a custom ATI/AMD graphics core when it launches in the 2012-2013 range (guessing at launch date).

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That's assuming Microsoft makes a "next gen" Xbox.

If they do, I'm guessing it will be some "cloud based" system where the games are not stored locally...maybe even not processed locally....meaning little need for a powerful graphics chip.

We can only speculate.

6. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the current xbox has 3 CPUs (not 3 cores) so i don't think you should compare your current computer to a future xbox when the xbox is already vastly more powerful.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

8. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

9. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

i don't think this will happen for the next iteration, possibly xbox 4. But I do think that game disks will be gone, and we will have xTB HDD and have to download games - I have no idea about what hardware will be in there though..

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm sure there will be expanded "cloud options" but broadband needs to get faster, cheaper and much more widely adopted on a global scale before physical media is abandoned, IMO.

Lethal

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

>nVidia Ion
    >Xbox's next GPU

hahahaha, nice one...

14. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

No, the Xbox 360 has 3 DISTINCT cores that are capable of simultaneously running two hardware threads EACH, thus equating to SIX PowerPC processing cores clocking in at 3.2 Ghz. Xbox 360 is one hellofa machine, but so is the PS3's Cell.

Next gen Xbox I'm thinking will stick to the regular formula as there are SOOO many benefits to having the processing power on the users end; reliability, portability, usability (what if you don't have an internet connection), customizability, all huge factors, at least for me, and I'm sure many other people. Now for the GPU chip I'm thinking more along the lines of a optimized ATI chip w/ a good chunk of SUPER fast memory (like the 360 had compared to other memory in other computers at its launch date), w/ multiple cores, all while using the same amount of electricity as the current gen one, or maybe less. :cool:

15. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yes, it has 3 separate cores, but they are all located on a single CPU die, so what he said was correct.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

GPUs don't have cores. They have dies. Those dies have hundreds of shaders. There's no reason to have multiple dies. Only ultra high performance cards have multiple GPUs. It doesn't make sense for a console because it doubles the yield issue. It also doesn't make sense because if your TDP can handle multiple dies, the question would come up why you just didn't scale the architecture to that point anyway. It's highly unlikely a console maker that wants to sell their console at 300 to 400 dollars would ever want the cost of multiple dies.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yeap, got a time machine?

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If Microsoft had their way, everyone would buy their games through Xbox Live. So, you know they will be pushing hard to move the Xbox in that direction.

I, for one, do (and always will) prefer physical media. You loose a lot of control and freedom when you move to a digital download only system.

Some of you are probably right that the next generation of systems (Xbox, specifically) will not be an instant jump to cloud games and cloud processing. However, it's pretty clear MS is heading in that direction.