What will we be talking about on Friday?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Apr 6, 2015.

1. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

(Well starting Thursday at 9pm here in Hawaii :D )

1. Apples website. App versus Web.
    2. What minute we ordered and estimated ship date on each model.
    3. Availability or lack of with in Store try on.
    4. Huge discussion of supply of sport versus SS.
    5. A Million Try on pictures if anyone manages to get in.

Next will be huge threads when they go 'ready to ship' or 'processing' with intricate analysis of who got into those queues faster based on the moment of order.

What else?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Reports from "sources familiar with the matter" that there have been massive production delays, extremely limited stock, quality control issues, and that the Apple Watch 2 has already entered the prototyping phase and is to be released in June.

3. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Any production delays will be clear on Friday based on estimated ship dates and how fast the available dates changed.

4. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I don't think there will be availability issues or problems with Apple's website. This is a first gen product, unlike the iPhone 6, so I imagine many people who might be interested are waiting to see an Apple Watch in action before buying. Many people still do not understand the practicality of the watch yet and will only be convinced when they see someone using it in real life.

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

People will be excited about their shipping date. Others will be upset. Probably some confusion as well.

On a side note, can you actually preorder online for delivery on the 24th without an in store appointment? I am unclear on this, it seems several outlets are reporting different things.

6. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Hehe, don't forget on the 24th an analysis of serial numbers to work out manufacturing 'batches' and how they relate to shipments.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Ah yes! And then there will be the two different screens conundrum and how to tell which one you have. Oh, and don't forget that serial numbers starting with 3 after the production date have an inferior steel that has a yellowish color!

8. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Heh, yeah. I was being facetious for the most part. Those kinds of stories always seem to come out with a week to go. They almost always end up being patently false.

----------

Perhaps somewhat ironically, I believe that an issue people will pay most attention to is screen brightness and readability in the sun. Everyone tends to focus on backlight bleed and tinting on other iOS devices because they tend to get used in the dark (in bed, on the couch, whatever). Since you'll be using the Watch primarily during the day, a whole new set of issues will likely get focus.

9. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

And "my digital crown isn't turning at quite the right resistance - IS THIS NORMAL???"

10. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I dunno.

This is one product I'm not the least bit excited about. I don't even wear a watch. If it could serve as a Fitbit replacement I might consider it... but at $600 that's highly unlikely.

I just can't see how this product is going to be a success... sure people will buy it because it says "Apple" but I don't see how it's the least bit useful. My phone is with me 24/7 and I don't need a buzz on the wrist to let me know I got a text message.

11. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Think you posted in the wrong thread?

12. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

Actually that's the point of the Apple Watch - to make it possible to determine whether the notification you get is THAT important that you HAVE to take your phone out or is just something less important. The idea is to make you less distracted by the phone (well... iPhone ;)) from the things you care about.

13. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I will be excited NOT to get a buzz on my phone or huge vibration like my Pebble when a notification comes in. I am dying to feel the new 'taps'. It is my hope that if I have the watch on my phone will be silent when something comes in.

How many times have we had to pull our phone out because we heard an 'incoming' beep or vibration while in a group and everyone has to check to see who got it? It will be great to KNOW it was not me that had something come in because my wrist did not get the tap.

14. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Did I? Are we required to be humping Apple's leg in these threads to post our opinion regarding their latest overpriced product?

If you think that's worth $600... good for you. ;)

I expected the price range to be $349-$399 but given it's Apple it's no surprise it's not.

Don't get me wrong... I own a lot of Apple stuff and they do make a quality product.

I just don't think the watch is worth anywhere near $600 for what it will do.

Flame on...

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

/thread

16. KauaiBruce, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Since the public will be able to try on the watch starting Friday I have a feeling the news embargo might be lifted that day. That will be needed to combat confusion of people who got to try it on but were likely not allowed to really play with it.

Oh, I knew Patriot was joking in his post. I was just saying we will know for sure soon about those 'supply rumors'.

I am STILL amazed that people with no interest in the watch spend so much time here. I do not spend a minute worrying about something I do not want (or telling everyone I meet that it is overpriced so they should not get it).

Maybe it is like the tourists I quote activity prices for. I know that 'thinking about it' and 'I am going to keep shopping' really means they cannot afford it but they do not want to admit it.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Where are you getting $600 from. It's from $349 + tax.

----------

See above.

18. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I did a Google search earlier because the email I got didn't indicate pricing...

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch

Now I see the other pages indicate lower priced models... My bad.

19. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

What he meat to say was people will continue posting that same kind of post even after April 10 and beyond. Because they will; we all know that.

The real question is: when will they stop? When will something else come out so they can express their disinterest in that? I mean, people stopped saying things like that about the iPhone eventually, right?

20. Camusrieux macrumors regular

That's a nice thought. My guess (FWIW—not much) is that reviews won't be permitted until the 24th or very close to it, though.

I suppose there's a news embargo on the question of when the news embargo is to be lifted, right? Gah!

21. refslady macrumors regular

I also like the tap which is more discreet than having to take out the phone to decide to ignore a notification. I can glance at my watch without becoming a distraction in a meeting.

----------

Now be fair. My hubby asks the questions every year about ziplining and it isn't the expense: he is still deciding if he really wants to fly over the trees (mild fear of heights).

----------

iOS 9 and iPhone 6s will give the naysayers something new to pick apart, sight unseen.

22. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

OH, In house (IN the Hotel) is totally different than In the field where I work now. I was meaning more on the streets where I work with the discount travelers. Your hubby might like the new night zipline then where he won't see the ground. :eek::p:D (text me before your trip. you will have my number so we can play with the direct watch stuff. I want to also try it from Europe. I am getting unlimited texting. )

23. refslady macrumors regular

Nice!!

24. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Of course my obsession THIS WEEK is waiting for Apple to release another guided tour.

I liked the overview one at the top. Love the little red 'light' that tells me I have unread notifications and the interface to go through them. I was pleased to see the 'light' went off once they were read. The interface is much better than the pebble. I get about 6 things at once sent in a burst and it is tough to read them. Easier to dismiss it all and grab the phone if it is emails. (messages are nice though)

25. Glene macrumors 6502

People on friday will start to ask how to care for the strap.....LOL