What will we expect in the 3.1 update?(a question)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant131531, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ant131531 macrumors member

Hi, i would like to know what we will expect in the 3.1 Firmware update for the iPhone/iPod touch? Thank you.

2. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i'd like to actually build on this question:

when does the current 3.1 beta expire?

m

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

call

Steve Jobs he should have the answers. anything else is a guess or a Rumor! :rolleyes: also please search the other 3.1 threads for the other rumors already posted on this.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. i51330 macrumors member

i sure hope its true. :D i really want to see battery improvements and possible a free memory feature since Apple made all devs remove that function from appstore apps.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm expecting it at the music event Sept. 9th.

New iPod touch with 3.1 and also 3.1 will be available for iPhone users and first and second gen iPod touch users.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Bug fixes and stability. Minor details like faster boot ups. Stuff like that. No major new features tho.

8. gumball981 macrumors member

Beta 1

Improved Wi-Fi
    Faster boot up time and various speed improvements
    Provides vibration feedback when home screen icons jiggle to indicate they're ready to be moved or rearranged.
    Trimming video clips on the iPhone 3GS now offers the ability to save the edited version as a copy rather than simply overwriting the original file
    Some reports of MMS being activated on U.S. models, but it seems to stall before actually being sent out over AT&T's network (most likely because of the MMS opt-out currently active on most AT&T iPhone texting plans)
    Safari now has a toggle for "Fraud Protection" under its Settings pane
    Bulgarian keyboard is in the BDS layout, not QWERTY layout
    On iPod Touch 2G the Voice Memos app now successfully records audio if you plug your microphone after you have started the application
    Voice Control over Bluetooth is now available, allowing users to Initiate calls and control music playback via Bluetooth headsets (however, voice control while plugged in to car audio systems no longer works)
    It is reported that the version 3.1 improves battery life on the iPhone 3GS[citation needed]
    Updates the "Carrier" profile for U.S. users to "AT&T 4.2" as opposed to "AT&T 4.0"
    Improves reception
    iTunes Store icons rearrange themselves back to default after opening and closing the app
    Developer Extras
    Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz
    API's allow third party apps to access videos and edit them
    Gives programmers their choice of video recording quality
    A pair of new app interface classes that are known to relate to graphics, but which haven't had their functions identified
    Calendar event alerts will be shown also with a pop-up, much like push notifications
    Xcode 3.1.3 has also been released and is said by people aware of the update to improve facilities for creating a new project as well as setting a target configuration.[citation needed]

Beta 2

Enables connectivity to devices for developmental purposes wirelessly instead of requiring tethering via the dock connector
    New accessibility options including VoiceOver and high contrast mode can be toggled with three clicks on the home button, as well as new video saving and editing buttons.
    Updates the "Carrier" profile for U.S. users to "AT&T 4.5"

Beta 3

Ability to copy and paste full quality videos from camera into email
    Under usage tab in settings able to view data sent and received over tethering
    Instruments over Wi-Fi
    New Enhancements to Core Audio in iPhone
    Failover support for HTTP live streaming
    Developers reporting removal of vibration feedback when putting icons into rearrange mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I expect it will be announced and scheduled for release at the end of September. I would be surprised, again, if it was available September 9th. I believe 2.1 was announced at a music event as well, and we got it at the end of the month.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

(a title)

I was just wondering, did anyone really need that clarification at the end of the title? (a question) ;)

12. greenpaz macrumors member

Here's one missing from the list:

improving the quality/volume of the speakerphone...

or does that have something to do with Core Audio?

13. gumball981 macrumors member

I would guess that that's included in core audio.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Did you have a question? (a question) ;)

I'd be interested to know that also. My speakerphone is sorely lacking, IMO.

15. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

are you still going to stick with 2.2.1?

16. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

What I'm hoping is that 3.1 will allow for copying images and pasting them into the image well for a contact.

Has anyone tried this, or know if it works?

17. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

its not too hard to just press on the image and upload the picture. its just as fast

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Depends on how 3.1 is.

I'm probably going to be ditching my iPhone and getting an iPod touch after Sept. 9th though, so I don't really care.

PS: Snow Leopard is awesome! It's cool to see something truly good come out of Apple lately.

19. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

I'm pretty pumped, mine comes in tomorrow ....got the laptop after june 8th so i got it for 10 bucks but i had to order it online. Kinda mad though because i wont get to put it on till friday because i'll be at pats preseason game. I've been kind of on the same track as you with the ipod touch, iphone decision. I love my iphone, but i'm way too attached to the thing. I think sometimes i'd be better off with a phone that i dont care too much about.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I feel the same way. I'm thinking about just getting a regular old phone that handles my 15 minutes worth of calls each month and an iPod touch for all the touch craziness. Plus, the iPod touch doesn't have a baseband to screw up upgrades/downgrades and they're generally built a little sturdier (being metal and having less parts). Plus, you get a whole lot more RAM and batter life in an iPod touch because it doesn't have all the phone stuff occupying CPU and RAM. I've been thinking... do I *really* need to obsessively check MacRumors on the go? By the time I get home, there's nothing to do on my desktop computer... heh.

So I think it'll be dumb-phone plus iPod touch (like I had in the old days).

21. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

WARNING: Our terror alert level has been raised to RED due to the recent hijacking of this thread.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I was wondering when it says that "reception" was better with the update, does that mean signal or signal quality? I'm finding with my 3GS that I don't have as good of signal as others' 3G's. It's not off by a lot, but in low signal areas it's the difference between one bar and no bars.

Can I expect maybe an extra bar with this update?

Looking forward to the better wifi signal too, because I noticed a big difference on that as well.

22. Joepy97 macrumors newbie

Bluetooth control