What will you do if the QC really is dropping?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Feb 3, 2012.

?

What will you do if Apple's QC drops?

1. Stay on OS X - I'm loyal and I think it's just a temporary glitch anyway

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Buy a PC and use Windows 7 - it's caught up with OS X and it's more reliable

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Move to Linux/BSD/other UNIX system - I want to stick with a reliable UNIX based platform

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other (please post)

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm not sure I buy it myself, but with a few bugs cropping up in Apple stuff recently, a lot of people are claiming that Apple's QC is starting to slip up.

I'm interested to know: if this trend continues, will you move away from Apple products? If so, what will you jump to?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't see any Apple product getting so bad that it would be unusable and thus cause me to go back to Windows or Linux.

My update to 10.7.3 was flawless and I used the combo update. Lion has been always working well for me.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

IMO, Apple's never had a super-long run of excellent QC. You can go back to the early 2000's and see great QC examples like PowerBooks with aluminum that would pit from contact with sweat, titanium PowerBooks with hinges that would snap, masses of iMac G5s made with bad capacitors that would just pop and kill the system, the first generation nanos with that back that would scratch if you just looked at it wrong, the last generation PowerBook with the "hi-res" screen that had the horizontal color banding, the first generation MacBook Pros with the excess heat, CPU whine, the first generation MacBook's with the random shutdown issue when a component got too hot, the MacBook Pros with the LEDs with the yellow tint, the iMacs with the LEDs with the yellow tint. :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised that some folks here find software QC issues the least of the QC concerns! :(

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

People have been claiming for over a decade that Apple's quality control is slipping – yet each year somehow they manage to sell more and more Macs. As for myself, I'm fine with both Windows and OS X – I run Windows for CAD software, so if for some reason Apple spends five years building machines that explode, I'll build myself a PC and keep using my Macs that I have now.

Otherwise, I'll stick with Macs, as mine have always been extremely reliable.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

For the time beeing I stick with Apple; it would need to get much more worst. But if it really would be time I still have my LINUX preference. But I don't see that happen in the next years.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

But under NO circumstances Windows. :eek:

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I get my daily Windows dose at work; I like diversity at home ... Windows XP and Windows 8 only as virtual instance under Fusion

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Windows 7 is a pretty good operation system ... it's not like the Windows 95 days anymore.

9. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

An interesting, and probably unintentionally loaded post... It sounds like you are skeptical that there is a real series of significant issues, but then you throw out the word "trend." :confused:

Is it a trend, that is the question?

I say "no." I think it is the amount of attention Apple is getting (from the iOS device frenzy, to Jobs' passing, to their stock price, etc) and their customer base having grown SO much. These slips are a lot more publicized now, and more people hear about it, but I'm not sure there are any more issues than in the past.

Anyway, to answer the poll, I'll stay on OSX because I prefer it, and because I prefer the hardware. Windows 7 is a fine OS though, and I'd have no trouble continuing to use that at both home and work, too.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's me in a nutshell. My career is Windows (and some Linux). I enjoy coming home to something different. For me, that's OS X.

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Windows 8 is a piece crap ive used its tech release and other releases i hate the way it works now

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

At this point, I have too much invested in Mac only software so I can't even change if Apple pulls a Vista.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm pretty loyal, but since my upgrade path is done for the next 2 years (iPad 3 notwithstanding) I'm going to watch with interest what happens over the coming months.

I would not want to return to a Windows platform ever, so I guess an Unix based system would be my second choice. For now I'm hoping recent events are simply a lapse, and that Apple will return to it's previous state.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples slide is somewhat understandable, given their obsession with mass marketing millions of iGadgets at a break neck pace. Using the excuse that they sell as fast as they are built is irrelevant. The Americans especially, will buy nearly anything with an Apple logo.

That said, I'm not too concerned just yet, since some fluctuation is bound to happen at this time in Apples growth. The real test will be what, if anything, Apple chooses to do about the flagging quality & growing inconsistency.

If not for Apples past high quality standard, it wouldn't be as noticeable.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The late PowerPC stuff seemed to have more in the way of absolute failure issues than most of the Intel models. The first generation macbooks did run absurdly hot.

The G5s were produced from 2003 to mid 2006, and the Intel models weren't fully supported with native code until some time in 2007. By 2008 the G5s were basically devoid of any further support. Every generation of them during that period had some significant issue, and the speed gains over that time weren't very good aside from the quad core. Even in the final generation, the dual core 2.0 had an absurdly high failure rate. I knew dozens of people who owned G5s. Some owned multiple macs. Every one of them had to take a G5 into the shop during that time period.

They've had other problems since then, but that generation was probably the worst.

Electronics are basically trash products these days. The quality control isn't there at a component level, and it's really difficult to maintain any kind of QC with the volume of something like the iphone.

16. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I think there are real issues, but just like you said, I think the big fuss is just because of all the publicity. I don't think there are currently any more issues than there normally are, and I think that for the majority of users, there's not much to be concerned about.

That said, we could be wrong, and Apple could be starting to slip up, which is why I started the thread.

I'm quite surprised that more people would switch to Windows than to Linux. I know Windows 7 is an improved OS but surely Linux is a more natural departure from OS X?

17. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I use both, and will keep using both. I modded my Mac and only build PCs these days, so I'll stay on 10.6 as long as possible, build a new Win7 PC and proceed with caution as always.

18. apolloa, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Maybe the iPhone hardware but Apple really have no excuse at all in regards to the software, for instance it's a well known fact bluetooth support is terrible on the iPhone. With my Ford, like many others, it plays music for a few minutes then cuts out, it's a well known fault. Ford released an update to try and fix it but said if it didn't, it's down to Apple to fix when ever they do.....

And I don't accept this, Ford is not exactly a tiny company, yet the iPhone bluetooth won't work with several Ford models.

19. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yes, I recall reading many stories about the liquid cooling of some of the G5s – there goes a system!