Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
It’s not made for to track animals and humans bozos. Even Apple has had to comment on that. Apple is not your babysitter. Take responsibility.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
It’s not made for to track animals and humans bozos. Even Apple has had to comment on that. Apple is not your babysitter. Take responsibility.
That's just Apple's standard "don't sue us if you lose your child and can't find them" disclaimer. It is true that functionally, the tags are at a distinct disadvantage if your child/dog wanders off in the woods where another phone is unlikely to pick up the beacon. You want a connected GPS locator for stuff like that in practice.

But in any reasonably populated neighborhood, it would probably perform exceptionally. We'll see soon enough. Nothing quite like a bunch of smart consumers who are anxiously looking forward to stress test and push the limits of technology and harness unexpected potential.

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
This is

1) Stalking and creepy AF, and seriously enabling of domestic abuse
2) Probably illegal
3) Something Apple *specifically* addressed with security measures because of 1 and 2
Doesn’t even matter. They’re suggesting putting it in the pocket of a coat that isn’t used lol

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
What they should really be doing is embedding an AirTag into the AirPods case. Current trackability of AirPods suck and you can’t even track them while they’re in the case.
I bet you've just stumbled onto one of the new features of the AirPods refresh

Reactions: TinyChip

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
What they should really be doing is embedding an AirTag into the AirPods case. Current trackability of AirPods suck and you can’t even track them while they’re in the case.

Build the technology into air pod cases. Bloody expensive to replace those as I found out when I lost my pro case

Hopefully the 'Find My' functionality will be built into the new airpods. It's certainly possible.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Car keys (x2)
Bag
Dogs (x2)

This is a legit blessing for me - wish it came out a month ago. Literally bought a new car last month and lost 1 of the key fobs. Replacement and programming? $600 bucks, thanks BMW.

The sad part is the keys are likely somewhere in my house or surrounding areas that this tag could easily point me to. This is WELL worth the investment for me, personally, I lose **** ALL the time.
Is your BMW new enough to have the digital key feature inside of Apple Pay?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
My dog will get one tomorrow. Already ordered a pink belkin keyring holder for her.
7oAz9bVXazK756hqAq0Izzsh4Ord5wZMGY1DU5SFozNegUSuSLvH2CHzj95FXHWOJa34f2cOf_yCKUZNevJGGJqTq1Q20X990Sx8-3qV-WLpEtg8CqGTOHXgdN8Y9iZsh59Pw9qjlxcgvsA1qqwC8Q8-w9Ev9f1j_Y2h9g05wznkOTNoE6rcdvZURpvB1skbNHwq17ta84GLkO6r7avAdj5E2mLCkcZnd4fq0j7Lw8fE2UVIiAuSqcAS4HwoF2ajgncVMDu7xHk21QVspDEqf96ItLhhf1g9Jsn6IQ3HQ2i5J13jCHEGF77yIRDstltgI11oKeUEgNKg-Epbeq9WvNa8NdQ-BrHzFroDOqQiKApt2Ss5MXwcuq6lXY4EmdOCpx1URE2ZJvJO4MKE-JCEm7tOBTWBhiS7c20srKAMwenjR2jHSa58Tpoh8enMzTJhwsYvSDxQ-WWnGrNk1K6u_gfjqOTj8OoT6IL2SXjALNA07JNb22EGUxTQuHOOxt2z_nH3e8u3Ml37-WdPtHag-oEF0somUAhd_Spw9a_PChNxcv9dnmEjuHvvsRST5gTuB0SVMhp6PCmTkS-ioCOWp-r-VU5umap6n8okfpuDqx8PWQ4Pnw9Jl0Xq-Zo9X33ZtR_nzBeU5NZ4dNG6B8uVtz0x9C1A5MsE-1VF2rDobCshQwKq7wB5C9QP-hiRPtjy_xQxK6IXKjZn76ruzZIMqt00ww=w1287-h966-no

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I just received my first airtag for my car keys (stored inside a key holder). Now I'm planning to get a couple more. One for my house keys (which I often leave behind in the car so as to have lighter pockets, so will hopefully also work as a car finder when I'm parked somewhere unfamiliar) and one for my water bottle I use at work, which I'll drop into my WH-1000XM3 case instead if I go on a trip.

I can't think of anything else that might need it right now.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
I told my wife that I need to get one for my shoes. They are always together, but never seem to get left in the same room when I take them off. Would probably look pretty silly but they are really my most misplaced item! For now, though, I just ordered one for my keys (my #2, coat, kitchen, bedroom, truck, office, garage, etc.).

I hesitate getting one for my dog because she associates collar beeps with getting the sh*t shocked out of her when leaving the yard and I don't want to lose the effect. I kid, but not really.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Very, very impressed.

Sydney (AU), turned off my phone and watch, drove 5 min to a friend’s place. Left airtag in the car, walked 50 meters away and turned the phone back on. (To make sure my phone didn’t record the last location).
Opened find my app and it was ALREADY localised by another phone in the network.

1 minute after I left it behind it was already localised.

I am extremely impressed. The same friend I went to see lost a tile two years ago in a park (he thinks in a park where he went running) and he never found it again.

Last edited:

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
I’m going to tape one to my AppleTV remote.

Seriously tempted to do this, I've lost that thing so many times.

Actually, come to think of it, Apple will have lost a trick if the remote for the new Apple TV 4K doesn't integrate with the Find My network.

I'll drop into my WH-1000XM3 case instead if I go on a trip.

Ohh this is a good idea. I may well do the same for my WH-1000XM4 case. Don't want those to go missing. Aside from being £350, I go nuts if I don't have headphones.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Very, very impressed.

Sydney (AU), turned off my phone and watch, drove 5 min to a friend’s place. Left airtag in the car, walked 50 meters away and turned the phone back on. (To make sure my phone didn’t record the last location).
Opened find my app and it was ALREADY localised by another phone in the network.

I am extremely impressed. The same friend I went to see lost a tile two years ago in a park (he thinks in a park where he went running) and he never found it again.

That is an awesome test case. Thank you for sharing the result!

• Love
Reactions: mxrider88

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I ordered 8 AirTags so far:
  1. Keys (6)
  2. Backpack (1)
  3. Sunglasses (saw Nomad case as well, it is tempting, just not sure if I want to have to take AirTags out for pool/lake days)
---

Considering for next purchase (will have to make a separate Apple ID):
  1. Dogs (2)
  2. Chickens (14) - will engrave with "??"
  3. Cars (4)
  4. AppleTV Remote (2)
  5. Luggage (6-7)
OK, I'll bite....how do you attach to a chicken??

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
IPad; purse; and billfold separately with all my ID's, cards, etc; keys;
If I still had little kids I would slip one in a shoe or jacket when they were at preschool or school in the event they went missing.

To APPLE: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make the Apple Pencil trackable. You cannot attach one of these to the pencil and I have wasted so much money losing pencils and replacing them......wait a minute.....is that the plan?

CrazySuzyn

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
It will stay in my car to help me find it in large parking lots whenever I forget to notice where I parked it. Which is almost always.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Very, very impressed.

Did you have to put it in "lost" mode?

Got Haggis?

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
I wonder how well this could work for tracking a car. I street park in the city and sometimes forget where I parked - and apple maps isn't always correct as to where I parked. I assume it will probably be difficult to pick up the signal through the car metal (and not sure how many randos with iphones are walking by my car)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.