Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I would like to recommend that the trackers be carefully hidden if theft is the concern. I had my purse snatched a few years ago with my new Iphone, billfold with all my CC's and ID's, checkbook with bank account number, house key and car key fob, inside. I literally had to walk to the nearest police station to report the theft; call a locksmith to get into my house where I was able to use my computer to "Find My" phone which was in my purse. With the police, we drove about 15 miles to where the tracker said my phone was located, an empty ditch on a roadside about 1/2 way to another town. There was nothing found after an extensive search of the area. The police surmised that the thieves had destroyed, bricked, or turned off the phone in that location. None of my things were ever found. My point is that thieves will be looking for these trackers to toss or disable. They need to be well hidden to even have a chance of usefulness in purses, billfolds, luggage, backpacks, bikes, or other high value targets.

Reactions: tgara and TinyChip

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I would like to recommend that the trackers be carefully hidden if theft is the concern. I had my purse snatched a few years ago with my new Iphone, billfold with all my CC's and ID's, checkbook with bank account number, house key and car key fob, inside. I literally had to walk to the nearest police station to report the theft; call a locksmith to get into my house where I was able to use my computer to "Find My" phone which was in my purse. With the police, we drove about 15 miles to where the tracker said my phone was located, an empty ditch on a roadside about 1/2 way to another town. There was nothing found after an extensive search of the area. The police surmised that the thieves had destroyed, bricked, or turned off the phone in that location. None of my things were ever found. My point is that thieves will be looking for these trackers to toss or disable. They need to be well hidden to even have a chance of usefulness in purses, billfolds, luggage, backpacks, bikes, or other high value targets.

Why do you think Apple sells a 4-pack?

Put 2+ on every item. After the first one, the thief might not look much further.

MartinOmartin

Suspended
Apr 30, 2021
I’m going to try to fix one to my umbrella, as I like to buy really good umbrellas but then I leave them on the train or bus.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
My keys
My backpack
My daughters keys
My daughters bag

later
Maybe my sons keys/bag
My camera bag

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
Did you have to put it in "lost" mode?

Wondering this too, I just tested mine and unfortunately it didn't update at all from the Find My network even with people walking everywhere and cars driving by, right in the middle of London, no way multiple iPhones didn't pass by but the location on my AirTag wasn't updated from the Find My network even when I enabled location services on my work iPhone that was right there in my pocket.

Makes me think the software still needs a bit of polishing.

View attachment 1767263

Ready have,..simply inserted an airtag ?...now totally trackable!

Genius ;)

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
PSA. I did a test with the air tags.

I connected them to my phone, then went for a walk with the Mrs and her iPhone leaving my devices at home.

It took 55 minutes for her to get a notification of the tag travelling with her.

I think this is more than reasonable for anti theft.

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
On/in my $900 Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket, my car keys, house keys and so on....

Have ordered a 4 pack and the appropriate accessories from Apple store. Delivery in late June.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If you have kids and an Apple TV, put an AirTag on the remote.

We found a remote under the kitchen oven/range after looking for it for two years. Slid right under and the youngest one said, “I remember you!” when we found it.
The only thing I worry about is my 2 year old putting it in his mouth. But yeah I hear you. The Apple TV remote goes missing regularly in this house. Sometimes it’s a months before it‘s seen again. My 2 year old posted it out the letter box once.

Problem is my 2 year old also likes taking it out of it‘s case, otherwise I’d just attach it to that.

Reactions: Steve686

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Have kids.

You’ll lose everything, eventually.
It’s a miracle they haven’t gotten to my AirPods yet. But mine and my husband’s bank cards have been posted out of the door before. A few weeks ago I caught my 2 year old in the process of posting my purse out the door. You can see why I desperately need these airtags Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Steve686

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Still can't believe how many people need these for keys or wallets! Never been an issue for me losing these items over the course of decades

Meanwhile, I'll track my*:

- office chair (dang people keep stealing it!)
- lunch sack at work!
- lawn gnomes

But in all seriousness, I do not desire any more "tracking" in my personal life than what is already there with phones and whatnot. This is an area of tech that I am happy to pass on

Meanwhile, is there a way to opt out my iPhone from helping with these tracking things?

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Motorcycle key. Most important thing.

Attachments

• Photo_30-04-2021,_16_31_32.jpg
    Photo_30-04-2021,_16_31_32.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 74

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Still can't believe how many people need these for keys or wallets! Never been an issue for me losing these items over the course of decades

Meanwhile, I'll track my*:

- office chair (dang people keep stealing it!)
- lunch sack at work!
- lawn gnomes

But in all seriousness, I do not desire any more "tracking" in my personal life than what is already there with phones and whatnot. This is an area of tech that I am happy to pass on

Meanwhile, is there a way to opt out my iPhone from helping with these tracking things?
Ok Boomer

• Haha
Reactions: parseckadet

CrashKC

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
I bought a 4 pack, but then my wife said, “ How often do you lose your keys.” Thought about it and the answer is never. Am hiding one each on our new $2k each TerraTrike Ramblers. Two to yet find a home for. Maybe one each for our cars.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
People must really lose their keys and wallets.....

I must be in the rare club to have never or misplaced either of those in my life
Wish I could say that about myself.

However, it’s not that I lose things as much as I forget to take them with me; only to find out once it’s really inconvenient or flat too late. Pretty sure where “it” is, and it’s not with me.
If AirTags can alert me that I'm about to leave without a key piece of kit, I’m in.

Reactions: voidfire and mel823

ABHB

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
The Beach
I don’t really “lose” things but I forget where I leave things in my house all the time. (Things tend to end up stacked under other things or between couch cushions)

Predicted sequence of events:
  1. Need to find where I left keys
  2. Need phone to find keys, can’t find phone
  3. Use Apple Watch to ping phone
  4. Find phone
  5. Use phone to find keys
At some point I might give up and stay home!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.