Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I’m using it for my bikes… I carry a tool/tube container in the water bottle holder, I used double sided tape and then covered it with duct tape. I didn’t want it to go to the bottom, although I’m sure it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
Aside from under the seat I couldn’t think of anywhere else to mount it. I’m thinking that maybe mounting it under the chainstay tape, I’d just have to redo it.

The container is taped onto my bike so it doesn’t bounce out in trails or when in transit in my bike rack - it’s fairly secure. I guess a potential thief could rip it off and throw it aside and render the tracker useless, but I’m guessing their first thought won’t be “there’s a tracker in there let me ditch that!”
I would imagine we’re going to get third party bike seats very soon where you can hide an airtag inside. The marketplace for accessories is going to be huge.

Reactions: Hls811

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
For those of you looking to place an AirTag inside your Wallet, I honestly don’t think it would work. The AirTag is about the thickness of 7 of the various cards I carry with me in my slim wallet. So that would essentially double the thickness of my wallet. I wouldn’t even be able to fit it in my wallet haha.

I ordered a keychain accessory to eventually place it with either my car keys or on my daily crossbody bag (which I typically keep my car keys in when not in the ignition). The keychain won’t arrive for another couple of weeks tho, so I was trying to figure out what to place the AirTag in so that it wouldn’t get scuffed up while inside my bag. I remembered that my Apple Watch came wrapped in a small cloth wrap when I first took it out of the box, so I just placed the AirTag in there and used some black electrical tape to close the open ends so that it wouldn’t fall out.
It’s in my wallet. It doesn’t make the wallet less usable or comfortable to carry.

One note.
Do put the white plastic side “outward” when inside your wallet. The sound emitted is louder from this side as the speaker must be oriented this way.

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
There's an app i use called "BackWay".
Once you've tagged a starting location (and you can add a photo to that if you want) it will then guide you back later.
I’ll have to give this app a try. I never heard of it before. So thanks for telling me about it!

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
4 pack

me - Mavic drone, Polaris RZR keys
wife - airpods case, laptop charger (she has lost both multiple times….)

Reactions: rgarjr

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I was thinking about this as well.

I want to buy Airtags I just don't know what I would attach them to.
I see many here say keys, luggage, or bag as the more popular items.

I don't have a backpack so no bag for me.
Don't travel that much and when I do, it's a carryon.
As for keys, well knock on wood I don't lose them but I don't see an Airtag on them either.

I'm sure my kids would get a kick out of them though, especially engraved, LOL.

I know I don't need them but I'm sure I'll still cave in and get some.

Sigh...

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
It seems to also be tied to movement. You do get a head start on a thief (if you notice its gone right away) but its not long. Better than nothing though
I think if it’s been with a thief for that long anyway. It’s unlikely you’re getting it back tracker or not. So it’s certainly a reasonable balance in my opinion

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Still can't believe how many people need these for keys or wallets! Never been an issue for me losing these items over the course of decades
Ah yes, the "I've never lost it before, therefore I'll never lose it in the future," argument. Boggles my mind how many people buy into that fallacy. I haven't ever lost my keys either, but I prefer to subscribe to "Past results are no guarantee of future performance."
Wish I could say that about myself.

However, it’s not that I lose things as much as I forget to take them with me; only to find out once it’s really inconvenient or flat too late. Pretty sure where “it” is, and it’s not with me.
If AirTags can alert me that I'm about to leave without a key piece of kit, I’m in.
Ding ding ding ding! This is my thinking as well. There have been occasions where in the morning I got in the car and drove half way to work, just to think "did I remember to bring my backpack?" Or when I'm traveling I'll have that panicked moment, usually after returning the rental car and on the shuttle to the airport, of "Did I leave something at the hotel or in the car?" In both cases I'll be able to just open the Find My app and quickly see if the things I care about are with me or not, without having to frantically open my bags in a moment of manic paranoia.

The traveling one is especially true for my keys. I bring my keys with me when traveling, since I obviously need them to get to and from the airport. But while on the trip I will leave them in my backpack. After a week of not having them in my pocket all the time, I get paranoid that I left them somewhere, even though I've never actually done that. Again, enter AirTags to provide some peace of mind.

Reactions: Azzin and Matz

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Ah yes, the "I've never lost it before, therefore I'll never lose it in the future," argument. Boggles my mind how many people buy into that fallacy. I haven't ever lost my keys either, but I prefer to subscribe to "Past results are no guarantee of future performance."

Ding ding ding ding! This is my thinking as well. There have been occasions where in the morning I got in the car and drove half way to work, just to think "did I remember to bring my backpack?" Or when I'm traveling I'll have that panicked moment, usually after returning the rental car and on the shuttle to the airport, of "Did I leave something at the hotel or in the car?" In both cases I'll be able to just open the Find My app and quickly see if the things I care about are with me or not, without having to frantically open my bags in a moment of manic paranoia.

The traveling one is especially true for my keys. I bring my keys with me when traveling, since I obviously need them to get to and from the airport. But while on the trip I will leave them in my backpack. After a week of not having them in my pocket all the time, I get paranoid that I left them somewhere, even though I've never actually done that. Again, enter AirTags to provide some peace of mind.
I've been driving since 1993 and have never "lost" my keys on my own. My wife however insists on not taking her spare key for my car off the keyring in the kitchen...no she has to take my main keys. She then proceeds to not return them by leaving them in her purse or jacket pocket. For me the airtags will end the arguments regarding where the keys are.

In the absence of outside forces, I've found that my keys seem to stay put where I placed them.

As for travel, you hit the nail on the head. I've put an airtag into my GoRuck GR1 for this very reason.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I think that the video shows how it CAN work in the future, but I'm suspicious about what he didn't show the moment that he put the AirTag in lost mode, neither the notification that it was seen...Also are the AirTags already live? Anyone with the current iOS can "see" them and report to "Find my"? Just curious...

This guy mailed an AirTag and had good results tracking it.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
When I had a dog, this would have been great. Luckily we were always able to find her.

That being said, I haven't ordered any air tags yet. I don't really lose my stuff. I suppose I'd still like to get some because they are undeniably cool especially with the accessories you can buy. The hermes is really nice although I don't think I will buy given the price.

I will probably put one on my bag, and maybe one on my iPhone

• Wow
Reactions: Givmeabrek

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Put an AirTag on both cats, bigger one looks grumpy and the little one is only 10 months old so she'll grow into it ?.
Doesn't look too bad, they aren't complaining or even bothering with it after wearing it for an hour so that's a good start.

Was only a cheap silicone one on eBay but the build quality honestly isn't too bad, and the AirTag fits in very snugly while the battery side is fully covered.

Coco my 10 month old.

Coco.jpg

Chloe, whos about 9yrs old.

Chloe.jpg

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Put an AirTag on both cats, bigger one looks grumpy and the little one is only 10 months old so she'll grow into it ?.
Doesn't look too bad, they aren't complaining or even bothering with it after wearing it for an hour so that's a good start.

Was only a cheap silicone one on eBay but the build quality honestly isn't too bad, and the AirTag fits in very snugly while the battery side is fully covered.

Coco my 10 month old.

View attachment 1770238

Chloe, whos about 9yrs old.

View attachment 1770241
Hahahaha Chloe is so cute

Reactions: SRLMJ23

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
I’m going to buy a pack of four. I can’t really think of anything I need to track though so I’ll just set one up and use it to track the three others.

Reactions: Sal09

ValhallaValkyr13

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
I got 1 for now, I'm not sure if I want to put it in my wallet or my purse or my backpack lol. I'm excited to figure it out once it comes in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.