Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
Originally posted by Flynnstone
Guess what ... a G5, hard guess :D

It will be my first Mac. Which makes my current computer my last PC.

same thing for me: my 5 years old pentium II 500mhz has to go and my first mac will arrive. it is a g5 dual 2ghz with 1.5gb ram etc. i'm in the last year of multimedia artist school and i got a nice education price for the g5. like this i will have enough power for some years but as usual you can't get enough power if you use photoshop, illustartor, maya, after effects and final cut every day :D
and for portability i got my scetchbook which is much better for me than any powerbook.
if i get a good job i could may buy a new one sooner but first i have to pay my appartment rent. ;)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I am getting the top of the line desktop, SOMETIME. Maybe G5 Rev B, maybe Rev Z, maybe I'll just end up getting a G6. Whatever it is, I'm getting the top because I'm tired of buying a Powermac and knowing that it is already obsolete.

I bought a 400Mhz G4 in August 2000 and it's great, but I knew that as it was the entry-level Powermac model, it would be the first to go. Back then, Moto was being SO delinquent with processors, as you probably remember, that Apple was only chopping off the lowest speed of the Powermacs when the new models came up.

Now that they are ONLY saving the top model (except when they change processors :D ), I want to have the top model so that it will last me two updates.

But even that might be changing. For the good of Apple, we may be moving to a new era where updates are more often, more dramatic, and make all previous models obsolete. I'm all for that and that's all the more reason to get the top model, so it doesn't seem AS out of date when the new ones ring in.

Anyway, I think a dual 2Ghz G5 would last me a LOOOOONG TIME.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by macphoria
My next Mac will be G5 PowerBook. Why? G5. PowerBook.

i hope when the G5 powerbook comes out, they retain the great prices the current powerbooks are sold at

mim

macrumors 6502
If the 12" powerbook update is sweet, well I'll get that. I just love the freedom that the laptop gives you. Nothing like sitting in St James park, on a sunny day, bashing out some letters.

If the 12" update is ho-hum, I'll probably get an 12" iBook instead and wait for a nice looking g5 pb.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's too early to decide. My current machine's only about 6 months old and I don't see any reason to buy a new one. But it will be another Mac :)

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Notebook

I'll definitely get a notebook computer next. Mine's just a glorified typewriter. I figure that I'll have the cash for a new PowerBook by next summer. If that's the case, I'll shoot for the next, next revision. Many speculate that this would be a G5 book.

Squire

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i hope when the G5 powerbook comes out, they retain the great prices the current powerbooks are sold at

What prices are second hand 15" Ti Powerbooks 867Mhz getting out of interest? In a year´s time when I stop being a nomad I will probably sell my powerbook and put that towards a dual 2 Ghz G5 and nice big screen.

Is it right that if it has Applecare still valid it fetches quite a bit more than without the warranty? ie more than the warranty cost?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
My next computer......

I probably won't be getting another computer for aout another year, and as much as a notebook is portable and utterly cool, I think that my next computer will be a desktop. It will probably be the dual 3.0 GHz G5 that they are supposed to have out next summer. I'm also going to go for the 20" cinema display.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by billyboy
What prices are second hand 15" Ti Powerbooks 867Mhz getting out of interest? In a year´s time when I stop being a nomad I will probably sell my powerbook and put that towards a dual 2 Ghz G5 and nice big screen.

Is it right that if it has Applecare still valid it fetches quite a bit more than without the warranty? ie more than the warranty cost?

A second hand apple product is usually worth as much as the educational discounted price. So like a second hand 12" powerbook starts at 1399 most places.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
G5 17" PowerBook!

My current computer inventory is:
  • 1 Latitude CPx (Tiger) Specs: 566Mhz, 384MB RAM, 12” Screen
  • 1 Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 (Lynx) Specs: 866Mhz, 384MB RAM, 15” screen Best freaking speakers I’ve ever heard on a laptop. (With the possible exception of a Comcrap.) The thing actually has a subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop.
  • 1 Dell Optiplex GX240 (Puma) Specs: 1.7Ghz, and 512MB RAM. mainly used for dialing into work, it’s owned by the company I work for, but I jacked up the specs with an Audigy 2 card, GeForce 4, and Serial ATA hard drive. It flies.
  • 1 home brewed server (Ocelot) Specs: Dual 500Mhz Xeon, 512MB RAM, Poor mans RAID at 300GB.
And yep they are all running Windows...the HORROR! On the bright side at least its Windows 2000. :p I use my home server as a:
  1. MS exchange mail server. No Spam ever because if spam starts trickling in I just create a new mail account.
  2. SSH using cygwin to allow my friends to upload music to my system which in turn leads to..
  3. Shoutcast server
  4. personal newsgroup server which allows my friends to do some chatting nationwide.
  5. And finally you may be wondering why I am using dual Xeon. Well other then that I got them VERY cheap I’ve started to convert all 300 DVD’s of mine over to DIVX. Whether or not 210GB of space is going to be able to handle 300+ DVD’s is another matter. To get decent quality I’ve been going CD sized at 610MB. It’s going to be tight if nothing else.
    [/list=1]
    Anyways back on topic. My next machine. I will be sitting on my thumbs until a PowerBook 17” G5 show up. If that means *sighs* waiting 3 months, 6 months, a year so be it. I NEED the potential horses that is behind the G5. I have a large amount of software on Windows that I DO NOT want to give up. The biggest being MS MapPoint 2002. This software coupled with GPS is godlike. So I need to run VPC and with VPC there is no such thing as fast enough. And even then I may wait for a few month to see what if any problems occur. Call me a pessimist but I expect some problems jamming a G5 into a PowerBook. New CPU, new chipset, god only knows what new features will be in the next PowerBook series. New for 2004. Site to site transporting capabilities.

Question. How long does it usually take Apple to come out with a Rev B, as you call it around here, system? 3 months? 6 months?

PS- Guess what my G5 PowerBook is going to be called? :D Well other then god like... :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by billyboy

as a techie i see a used machine with some warranty time on it as a plus

but for many not in the know, it won't make a dime of difference in their determination if they want to buy the machine or not...either they will like your powerbook or not...macs rarely have lukewarm receptions

as cool as a G5 is, it's still not mobile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.