What would Apple and Verizon do come June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agkm800, Jan 11, 2011.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Would they release CDMA iPhone 5 in June?

If yes, how would they deal with update issues?

If no, Verizon iPhone users would have to wait x months for new iPhone every year?

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

3. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Save yourself a few seconds and don't post worthless replies.

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

From my previous thread:

"So here is my question (preceded by a lot of exposition so bear with me):

Apple has announced a new iPhone every year in june since the first one. They are announcing the new Verizon iPhone in January, and, as this article states, its probably just a CDMA version of already extant iPhone 4. Which means it will probably be released at the same time as or shortly after the press release. Which means that in less than 6 months, a new iPhone will come out that makes this one look lame, one that anyone who buys this one won't be eligible to upgrade to.

So here's my question:

Who are the idiots who are going to buy this phone then complain bitterly when the new one comes out this summer? And if everyone is smart enough to wait, what will happen if nearly no one buys the new Verizon iPhone at launch?

Or is that not going to happen and will the CDMA version of the iPhone always come out 6 months after the GSM version?"

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Sorry, here's a better one:

How would anyone on a message board know more about it than the people who are at the event? What do you expect to hear, that they're just going to keep updating the phone every 6 months now, one for GSM and one six months later for CDMA?

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My theory is that the CDMA variant will always be half a year behind. So in June there might be a new iPhone coming to GSM carriers around the world, and then half a year later the CDMA variant will follow suit.

7. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I am buying it day one completely expecting a new one to come out in June. Because it is getting a refresh does not mean the iPhone 4 is not already a fantastic device. There are two ways it will go down. Either iPhone 5 will be such a revolutionary change that I will sell my iPhone 4 and get the 5 or it will be a mild refresh and I will continue to happily use my iPhone 4.

8. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Maybe when Verizon upgrades to LTE there won't be a need for two phones?

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Simple ... Apple will offer the refreshed iPhone on both Verizon and AT&T.

What they are doing now is cashing in on a ton of iPhone 4 sales ... after the refresh ... they will hook the rest. :cool:

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Save yourself a few seconds and don't ask questions few could possibly know the answers to right now. /shrug

But if you must, if a new phone is out and VZW has it then they'll sell it.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's what I'm thinking, unless they're simultaneously developing the Verizon/AT&T iPhone 5. If would be extremely odd if they pushed out a new one (for verizon) in 6 months.

12. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I think the iphone will get a minor refresh in June on AT&T. Verizon will get that refresh just before Christmas time. June of 2012 Apple releases LTE iphone which works on both Verizon and AT&T.

You have to remember the average consumer will keep the Verizon iphone 4 for their 2 year contract (can upgrade after 20 months). Which will put them at upgrading around October 2012.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wrong in so many ways.

LTE is only for 4G stuff. They will need to run the older equipment for decades if not longer.

Did AT&T turn off Edge when 3G came around? Did they turn of GPRS when EDGE started?

Answer to both those questions is NO. GPRS is still in use all over the world today. People keep saying what you just did but do not think about it with logic. Put a little logic in there and you will see that you need to keep the old network working for decades.

14. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Too much time on hand now or too early for the senior early bird special? /roll eyes

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Wrong is no many ways? Keep it civil because he really wasn't that wrong.

A few years down there road there is very likely to be an LTE iPhone that can fall back on GSM, or CDMA technologies.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that is different that what what I quoted.
    The quoted said LTE is GSM so therefor Verizon will be GSM.
    I was pointing out that only the 4G will be GSM and the rest will be CDMA.

It would requrie a dual mode phone to handle both and require the WCMDA 3G (GSM), Verizon CDMA and the LTE antennas

17. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Will be interesting to see what happens in June, also if Apple starts two refresh cycles?

The one thing I find odd is they fixed the White iPhone 4 for Verizon, but what about AT&T I know a lot of ppl have been waiting for it, I myself will stick with the Black one, I like it.

18. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Apple is not going to release a product that is specific to one network, at this point. You can either see an iPhone 5 (CDMA/GSM) this June or an iPhone 5 LTE/4G next January. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next refresh happen early 2012 and not this June, like history shows.

19. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Did I miss something? I didn't see a white Verizon iPhone announced anywhere...

20. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I will be getting the Verizon iPhone for sure on launch day but I honestly don't think there will be a compelling reason to upgrade from the 4 to the 5 this summer. iPhone 4 is advanced enough to where I don't expect any major updates. If there is a reason I'll sell my iPhone 4 and use an upgrade, no biggie..

I'm sure there will be idiots that buy this one and then complain they can't get an early upgrade to the 5.

21. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I think there is a good chance there won't be an update to the iPhone this summer. What more could they add to the 4? 4G is really the only thing but I don't think LTE/HSPA+ have enough coverage to add it this summer.

Other than 4G the iPhone 4 is still advanced enough to hold its own against any smartphone atleast through the rest of this year.

22. Pomeless macrumors regular

Speculation is the fun part of this. I care little about getting worked up over the whole matter. I think that it is just amazing and awesome that we have phones that can do all that they do!!

[​IMG]

He was just happy the phone had a built in beard trimmer!

23. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

24. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I hope you are right. It sounds like the most sensible thing to do.

25. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Yeah, I can't find anything about a White iPhone 4 on Verizon. My guess is that Apple has just scrapped any intentions of releasing a White iPhone 4 on any network.

And wasn't the original iPhone (which at first was only available in the US on AT&T) released in the UK 2 months or so before the iPhone 3G? I would see Apple releasing all future updates of the device on AT&T and Verizon at the same time. Even most other countries with other carriers aren't waiting upwards of 6 months for an update.

My debate is to buy now or to wait till the summer and see.