What would be better to wait for?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MGMetz327, Nov 12, 2014.

1. MGMetz327 macrumors newbie

I am going to treat myself to either a new iPad or new macbook pro this christmas and get the other sometime next year. I am a college student and am currently using a Macbook Pro 15 inch from late 2009. Still works great but it got a little beat up in the process. I like the iPad for apple pay and I believe it would be functional to take to my classes. Any advice on which of the two I should get this holiday season?

All the best

2. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

MacBook Pro: a bit more bulky and pricy but you'll get more productivity out of it (plus you can boot camp it). I wouldn't recommend an iPad for school, even though Office and other productivity applications are available now.

3. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Office for iPad is terrible, if you need it for university, buy a Mac.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

MBP, if you want to play AAA games on it, get the top of the line model with dedicated graphics, but it's $2600.

5. Jessica Lares, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I say get the iPad. If your current MacBook Pro works for you, no need to cough up the money for this year's models when the next ones will be much better.

It won't hurt you to find out whether or not the iPad meets your needs for school. My classes were all in computer labs the majority of the time, so carrying a MacBook Pro except for doing projects didn't make any sense.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You do know that the iPad can only do Apple Pay for purchases in apps, and not at retail outlets like the iPhone, right? Just checking, because that doesn't seem like a good reason to buy an iPad over a MacBook.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'd say split the difference and get a Macbook Air. Easier to lug around than a Pro, and more functional than an iPad.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd go with the iPad. A late 2009 MBP should still be able to handle university classes without any problems.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I would get the iPad. This was just updated and you have a MBP which is still fine for classes. As others have said, waiting for the next MBP refresh seems like a better idea.

11. mripadmini macrumors regular

i would get a Macbook Air and not get the iPad at all and save the money