What would be the killer feature that triggers an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CmdrLaForge, Apr 18, 2015.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

I am thinking if I made a mistake ordering the first revision. I think not because I think the watch needs significant improvements before I upgrade. In particular

- watch battery can run for 72 hours at least, better 120 hours
    - watch face always one

Those are my main points. In particular battery life. What I think would be nice to have is:

- water proof so that I can swim with the watch
    - GPS on the watch
    - can sync not only with iPhone but with cloud, mac, ipad,
    - blood pressure monitoring if this is feasible

It will take a long time for the battery too improve this much. So I am happy with my purchase today.

What would be your must have upgrades?

Cheers
    LaForge

2. darrenpop macrumors 6502

I don't really understand why anyone would want this. I don't need my watch to be telling the time when I'm not looking at it.

Although, a bigger battery would be nice. I don't mind charging every night. But I often work during the day, then DJ at nights, so I doubt the AW1 will last from 6am until 3am.

I think the current 42mm screens are perfect but I would consider a bigger one, say 52mm.

I would like a camera. I know these would likely be rubbish, but it makes sense for snapping stuff quickly without having to dig out your phone and potentially miss a 'moment'.

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Having a seriously low power using time would be nice for always ON. But the monitor that would make SERIOUS money would be blood sugar monitoring if possible. I am pre pre-diabetic so have to cut back my sugars but am nowhere near needing medications. I think it will be handy having better monitoring in a few years. As it is, I love that it will help me monitor my movement and help me push for better exercise.

6. wbitsky macrumors member

For me, I personally don't mind the battery life where it is. If I can get through a day, I'm fine with it. I'm going to take it off at night anyway so it's not a problem for me to charge it.

For me, it's going to be speed. When all the third party native apps come out, I can easily see the first gen watch being to slow to fully sport them, thus triggering a perhaps identical gen 2 with an upgraded processor.

It would also be nice if it was thinner, but it isn't bad the way it is now.

7. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

8. KenAFSPC, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

1. Always on display.
    2. iPhone-like battery life.
    3. Improved water resistance.
    4. Blood pressure monitor.

There is definitely a benefit to an always-on screen. I laid my hands on the table at the Apple Store, much like I lay my hands on a table in a conference room. With my regular watch, I could see the time. With the Apple Watch, I could not see the time, much less notifications or anything else.

9. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

But thats just a marketing name. What would be the features that make you spend another $500 or more ?

----------

Lets say I do not have the watch yet and there are no stores close to try out. Lets see how well it works on version one. But by reading through the review on daring fireball I understood that watch sucks most by using it as a watch. Those quick glances like when you work at your computer keyboard and you just tilt your arm a bit like on a regular watch are not possible.

10. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

next year's AW2 I'm expecting a better battery life. It's all I need :D

11. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

How much better would be so good that you buy another watch? For me 36 hours are not cutting the mustard. 72 hours would be fantastic but I guess with 42 hours I would be satisfied already. The point is that I believe it will take Apple a while to get to 42 hours.

12. jjlannoo Suspended

I don't expect much better battery life unless some wild new battery tech is used or the watch becomes huge lol. Just not much room for the battery.

Blood sugar monitoring would be killer

13. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Op is right...
    This is not a "real" answer.
    I mean... what if they said S2 is only 15% faster? You'd immediately buy it? What if they said it's no faster, only thinner? You'd still buy it?

Yes. We know it will have a different processor.... but what do you actually want it to do differently/faster/better?

14. Goldfrapp, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

As for me,

- headphone jack
    - stereo speakers
    - larger display
    - removable battery
    - cellular chip
    - built-in radio
    - SD card slot
    - USB port
    - front and back cameras
    - tilting display
    - built-in nail clipper and bottle opener

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Yes and yes

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

Somebody somewhere made some good points about apple not doing Apple watch 2 until 2017
    People have ship dates for June ,even August
    There having a hard time making the current watches
    So I can't imagine switching the production to a new one

17. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Just boosting the battery life a couple hours isn't going to do it for anyone. It needs to be boosted enough to support all-day + sleep tracking to make that an upgrade point.

I would actually like to see a low power / dim always-on watch display. As several reviews have mentioned out, as a watch wearer you don't realize how often you just glance at your wrist for the time without actually bringing it up.

I think onboard GPS would be awesome.

Water-resistant enough to swim with it.

That's about it. My needs aside from what they are offering are pretty low. I'll be happy to see other things of course, but I'm not clamoring for much.

18. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I see a lot of people saying that they are waiting for version 2 of the watch. First of all this could be a long wait and second of all I cannot imagine that the battery tech together with power savings on the chip and display are fast enough to make a big difference. Therefore I assume buying the first generation is just fine for the next 5-7 years....

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lmao.... you forgot SD card slot....

20. wit4breakfast macrumors member

...you should save this so you can read it 5-7 years from now.

Seriously, have you not been paying attention to progress? I suspect we will get two years MAX out of these watches.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

stand alone GPS.

I personally do not care for this feature but many runners and hikers want this in their fitness trackers. I can see Apple adding it in gen 2.

22. RangeMaster619 macrumors regular

I actually think a blood sugar monitor would be a fantastic idea. I wonder if that can be tested via basic skin contact. I have heard of a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) test based off of simple skin content, that would be interesting too also.

23. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I do and look how the iPads battery life improved since 2010 - not so much. They have been able to add an hour or two. Same for iPhone.

They made a lot of improvement in the early iPod days from 2000-2008.

24. cnev3 macrumors 6502

GPS for sure. Maybe even a built in barometer for accurate climb data. If it had that, I could sell my Garmin Edge bike GPS and use it to fund the purchase of the watch.

25. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

For me it would be:

1. Multi-day battery
    This one is obvious. Who wants to have to charge it every night... and then after a year, it will be running low before the end of the day like the iPhones do, and you'll need to charge it sooner. Also camping trips are out.

2. Always on display
    I actually agree with a lot of people saying this isn't strictly necessary, but I am concerned that the motion it looks for to activate the display might be so specific that you really can't steal a quick look at the time without making a big thing of it. Normal watches you can peak at in mid conversation without being rude.

3. And I guess Custom faces for the clock.

I don't really care about the GPS or other health monitoring equipment. Anywhere I need a GPS, I'll have my phone, and I don't really need to see my intra-day blood pressure and sugar levels.