What Would Entice You to Buy an "iPhone Pro"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Mar 6, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Even if costly camera components are Apple's main motivation to release an iPhone Pro, the company can't stop there if they want to release an entirely new and superior iPhone model. Perhaps putting iPad-level silicone, or at least a higher-clocked processor, in the iPhone Pro model is a given. Heck, like the MacBook and Pro before it make the iPhone Pro slightly thicker to support the more powerful processor and a larger battery - and so there are less lens size constraints. Beginning the transition to OLED by putting it in the iPhone Pro model would be very welcome by me as well.

If Apple does it right then the iPhone Pro could become an extremely popular extension of the iPhone line. My wallet is a bit concerned that it will command more than a $100 premium over the standard models but I personally hope the iPhone model lineup looks like this:

Choice of iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Pro
    Choice of 4.7" or 5.5" display on both
    Choice of 32GB or 64GB on iPhone 7
    Choice of 128GB and 256GB models on iPhone 7 Pro

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I'll be getting the pro because I had already planned to upgrade my 6 to the + model for the 7 to gain OIS in the camera. Now that there might be the Pro, it doesn't need to really entice me because I was already going to go with the top spec offering. Getting dual lens is only the cherry on top.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

This is nonsense. Same with the iPad "pro".
    There was no new iPad in 2015 so Apple just adds a "pro" to the iPad.

Re visit this conversation if Apple introduces two different iPhones with two different processors at the same event. The one with th higher specs can than be the "pro"
    Version. So do you think Apple would do that? No way.

What happens to the 6s and 6s plus than? Usually it would be shifted one layer down. Now it would become the budget phone after one year?

And what about then iPhone 6?

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

There was no new 9.7" iPad in 2015 because it seems they are switching to releasing each model in 2 year cycles. No need for annual updates on one model if people don't upgrade iPads every year like they do with phones.

The iPhone line will be

iPhone 7 +/Pro
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 6s+
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone SE

You will still probably be able to find the old 6, 6+ for sale for cheap but I doubt Apple will offer them in their stores or for order online.

5. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I wonder if the up charge from the 7 to the 7 pro will be $150 instead of the historical $100.

6. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I will pay $100 extra if 7pro (pro for photo/video pro) come with LinX imaging technology and Apple does a good job implemented for low light color photo/video. Unless one carry good SLR with good fast lens at the moment of required taking photo/video in low light, LinX is one of best option for smartphone.
    I will pay another $100 extra if Apple add one or two super sensitive B/W only sensor, similar but lower performance as Leica M Monochrome B/W sensor.
    This is definitely possible, since LinX does have 3 or 4 sense module, at least in concept.
    [​IMG]

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

It's not a "pro" if Apple puts the same chip in the iPhone 7 "pro" model as they do in the iPhone 7 model.

Again until Apple puts some real hardware technical differences between the regular size and larger size iPhone. (Aka more memory in the larger or a faster processor). We need to stop this "pro" talk.

Remember iPhone is apple cash cow. They are extremely protective how they go about selling the phones. It makes zero sense to make two distinct phones with different hardware.

The iPad "pro" has limited appeal to most people. Apple can play that game since iPad sales have been tanking. But Apple can't afford to play the pro game with the iPhone.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You're taking the Pro tag too literal. It as with most companies is just a tag to use for a better model.

In the case of an iPhone 7 Pro (if it even happens to get called that) it's rumoured to have the dual lens LinX technology. It's rumoured to have larger storage (256gb option), it's rumoured to have more RAM than the 7/7+ (3, maybe 4gb vs 2gb)

It may have more differentiating features, we won't know until solid leaks come out or the actual announcement. But those three alone are enough to warrant a different tag. Pro doesn't always mean professional tools.

9. Zagor13 macrumors member

they are all pro in my book just size differences and little additions/subtracions etc; all pro really and I don't like that name Pro

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

But why would apple do that?

The cost to build difference between the smaller size and bigger size iPhone is roughly $15. Yet Apple sells the bigger size iPhone for $100 more. Meaning Apple profit margin is extremely high with the bigger size model and they don't have to put anything different inside it.

The smaller size iPhone outsells the bigger size by a 3:1 margin.

So explain why Apple would make a pro model with more ram, better cameras They certainly can't risk it by jacking up the price more than the $100 premium we currently pay. Apple would have to maintain the same price points. But that would reduce their profit margin.

11. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

12. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It seems it'll mean pro cameras, pro performance, and pro __ (possibly design/material differences?). But there is definitely room for an iPhone that is more professional even though it degrades the other models.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Won't happen, the only reason iPad components aren't in the iPhone already during any given release are power and thermal constraints.

The iPhone gets more powerful components once they can be shrunk with newer manufacturing process.

The only real reason for the "iPad pro" is to fit a bigger screen and use the extra space for more powerful components.

If you want an iPhone that is larger and more powerful, buy an iPad.

14. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

low light capability with aperture of 1.4...also water resistant...or proof.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2016 ---
    I think somebody at the keynote should ask Tim Cook about the "pro" issue.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think they can stop there (regarding cameras) just fine. That's basically what they did with the iPad Pro (not a camera but there really isn't anything pro about it outside of pencil support).

It's all just fancy words tat this point. The pro in MacBook Pro used to mean something too. They don't even sell a non pro model anymore.

But to answer the question, the price point will by the deciding factor for me. Rumors are the plus will be the pro. The 4.7 inch will be the standard. And the 4 inch will be the SE or mini or some such. If that happens thenprusnwilk be priced as it is now. The $100 premium was justifiable for the screen size bump but I'm not sure they could do much to entice me to spend even more.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I bought the plus and S plus over the 6 and 6S because they have a bigger screen, higher resolution, better battery life and OIS. I'd likewise buy the pro over the plus because it is had 256GB of storage (I currently have 128GB) and the additional camera technology. Of course the pro and it's features are all rumoured at this point but if the rumours are true I'll be getting the pro.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given Apple's iPhone line up with features, a "pro" version just wouldn't fit. Plus it's kind of a silly name compared to phones. It really doesn't evoke the intention that its for professionals, given that everyone needs a phone.

18. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

If they just put the Pro at the current Plus price point and lower all other prices accordingly, then great! Thick iPhone Pro, thin iPhone Air, small iPhone Mini...

More realistic would be iPhone Pro instead of iPhone Plus, iPhone Air for 4.7" and Mini for 4".

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

The "Pro" designation feels like a ruse to squeeze more cash out of affluent customers who habitually buy "the best" regardless of actual need.

The current "Plus" designation is similar, but perhaps some of the targeted "high-rolling" customers settled for a cheap 6 or 6s because they didn't want a bulkier phone? Money left on the table as far as Apple's concerned.

20. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

A professional phone should have support for more than one phone number, so a professional wouldn't have to carry a separate device for every phone number they need to answer.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Pro is a name, not a technical standard.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---
    iPads and iPhones meet two different market needs.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Sure.

The iPhone is for making calls, and the iPad is for doing productivity stuff (on a touch screen) that a pro moniker on an iPhone would indicate.

Let me put it this way: what could apple add to the iPhone to create a "pro" version that wouldn't be better put on an iPad or just made standard on the phone?

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Pro designation is meaningless to a large segment of mainstream iPhone buyers. A surprisingly large number of iPhone users I've spoken to lately have no interest in upgrading, no matter what it's called or what color it comes in. Many are annual upgraders like I am.

Like myself they're satisfied with the iPhone they have now and are getting off the "upgrade train."

It'll be interesting to sit back and observe what kinds of bugs and annoyances iPhone 7, or whatever it's called will present to users.

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Answer: They could add anything.

Apple could make a singular version of every product with the best internal specs on the market. They don't because they're Apple and they can get away with putting more RAM in a "pro" phone over the regular one. People will buy it. I don't disagree that a pro model really isn't necessary and it should all just be made standard at the same price point. But that's not how Apple has ever worked. There's no speculation needed on what the moniker of a title should mean. If you disagree, vote with your money.

An iPad and iPhone aren't in the same market. I don't want to take a 10" screen with me everywhere I go, but I do love having access to the biggest screen possible while maintaining easy portability when I'm out and about. I don't think adding Pro to an iPhone would equate it to iPad in terms of productivity. I use these devices for completely different things at different times of the day. My iPad is not going to sit mounted on my dashboard while I navigate on a trip. I'm not going to use it to take photos of the deer I spotted in the woods while hiking. Conversely, if I'm laying on my couch at home relaxing and reading CNN.com, I'm going to do it on the bigger iPad screen. My iPad is more in comparison with my iMac than anything else. It has taken on a lot of things I used to do on my iMac, namely content consumption. The internals of the iPhone don't change any of this.

25. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Pro...
    If 6/6S sales are 3:1 over 6+/6S+ I could see further enhancements to encourage sales of the + model.
    A separate Pro version though... would there be enough of a sales volume to warrant it?
    Marketed towards enterprise or businesses maybe?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---
    Actually... not.
    Predominant use of the iPhone is email, photos and text more than phone calls.
    For iPads it is consumptive use, not used for productivity.

btw... putting a high end camera on a tablet... kind of, not. Just my opinion.