Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

• Just wait 2+ months until June for the one I ordered and risk it getting pushed back even further.

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Spend an extra $1000 and get the 4tb now from the apple store.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Cancel my order and wait for M2 max or put the money elsewhere.

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Okay, so I just ordered a maxed out m1 max 16 MacBook Pro. The thing is I don’t get it until June. However, I found one with the same config but much more storage at an apple store near me. So the one at the apple store costs 1000 more than the one I ordered because it has 4tb vs 1tb on the one I ordered. So poll time, what would y’all do in my situation? I have no need for 4tb on a laptop even in the far future. Also, feel free to comment what you would do on this post if it’s not listed in the poll.
Edit: I should mention I’m currently using an m1 13 MacBook Pro that does everything I need it to do. I’m upgrading because I want more and want to have more fun tinkering with intensive stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: basher

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I would wait. If the upgrades were double the RAM or better CPU, I'd probably bite the bullet and go for the Apple Store. You can't change CPU or RAM after buying, and while you can't change the storage either, there's an abundance of good external SSDs which are quite fast. They will only get cheaper with time.

Reactions: Argoduck

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
If your existing machine does everything you need then would just wait for the new machine.

Only reason I would cancel and get the machine now was if couldn’t do tasks with existing machine.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Okay, so I just ordered a maxed out m1 max 16 MacBook Pro. The thing is I don’t get it until June. However, I found one with the same config but much more storage at an apple store near me. So the one at the apple store costs 1000 more than the one I ordered because it has 4tb vs 1tb on the one I ordered. So poll time, what would y’all do in my situation? I have no need for 4tb on a laptop even in the far future. Also, feel free to comment what you would do on this post if it’s not listed in the poll.
Edit: I should mention I’m currently using an m1 13 MacBook Pro that does everything I need it to do. I’m upgrading because I want more and want to have more fun tinkering with intensive stuff.

well there is no reason to cancel your order now right? You won't get charged until it ships and you can always return it.

I would say best thing is to stay the course. If something better is announced at WWDC or whatever, then more options for you.

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
I would wait. If the upgrades were double the RAM or better CPU, I'd probably bite the bullet and go for the Apple Store. You can't change CPU or RAM after buying, and while you can't change the storage either, there's an abundance of good external SSDs which are quite fast. They will only get cheaper with time.
Yeah, I already have ordered the maxed out m1 max, 32 core gpu and 64gb ram. The only difference would be 1tb vs 4tb of storage and the price. I think it will just come down to my patience.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I would get the 4TB now. Soon you will forget you spent the extra 1000. 4TB is a much better SSD, in terms of speed and longevity. Imagine all the things you can store on it that you can't store now...

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But then again I'm the instant gratification type, and $1000 isn't that much... ?

• Haha

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
well there is no reason to cancel your order now right? You won't get charged until it ships and you can always return it.

I would say best thing is to stay the course. If something better is announced at WWDC or whatever, then more options for you.
Well, I’m doing payment plans so I already got charged like $320 for a product that hasn’t even been produced yet and I won’t see for 2+ months! If I want to cancel, how fast does the refund happen? Could it happen quick enough to where I could order another one and go get it from the apple store today?

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
Do you need/want the 4TB?

If not, and your current computer isn’t impeding you, then I’m not sure why you wouldn’t wait. Even if it does get pushed back, your current system is meeting your needs so there’s no real urgency.

Also, if Apple announces something at WWDC, you’ll be in a much better position to decide if you want to keep your current order or choose something new.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Well, I’m doing payment plans so I already got charged like $320 for a product that hasn’t even been produced yet and I won’t see for 2+ months! If I want to cancel, how fast does the refund happen? Could it happen quick enough to where I could order another one and go get it from the apple store today?
How is that possible? You have not received the product, but you are paying for it? What kind of payment plan is this?

Reactions: Misheemee

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
How much is ~2 months worth to you? Is it $1000 or more? Then it is worth it. If the money is more dear than time, then wait. Personally, since you have already made a payment, if it were me, I would just wait. You already have a serviceable machine. Good luck!

Rich S.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Wait for what you ordered!

I am also patiently waiting for my Mac Studio and Studio Display, and follow the progress of how orders are shipped in the thread about it.
Lot of orders are shipped a lot earlier then the estimated dates we get on our orders.
No guarantees, but we get what we want (hopefully) at least.
So calm down and chill :cool:

• Love

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I didn't choose an option, since my choice is not available. As a gadget person, I know the feeling of purchasing, opening and using a new gadget. Its fun!

All that to say, if you can 'spare' the $1K, go ahead. If not, then merely wait. Alternatively, check the Apple website daily, around 06:00 Eastern. Often, new items show up, ready for selection and purchase.

Good luck...

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
So you just have so much money to blow that, even though your existing machine does what you need, you want to tinker and thus spent (tabs out to Apple.com) $3899?

If so, do whatever you want.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
So you just have so much money to blow that, even though your existing machine does what you need, you want to tinker and thus spent (tabs out to Apple.com) $3899?

If so, do whatever you want.
I wouldn't judge the OP how much money they want to spend, that is not really helping their question. Everyone is free to spend as much as they want. OP stated that he wants to upgrade and explore and experiment with a better machine. How much they spend and how much money they have is their business, isn't it?
We should try and help the OP deliberate on their question, shouldn't we?

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
Deliveries have become uncertain. You ordered a maxed out Max but for the storage so 4TB is fitting for such a machine. It will be with you many years if you so choose so you can try to get use of the capacity beyond the speed benefits. If/when you cancel your order it will take about three to four days to receive your funds back. I just went through this with a Studio Display. Had I not found one locally and then cancelled my order it would probably arrive three or more weeks late from what I see on the forums. My order was placed on launch day so I thought I would be ahead of the pack...

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I wouldn't judge the OP how much money they want to spend, that is not really helping their question. Everyone is free to spend as much as they want. OP stated that he wants to upgrade and explore and experiment with a better machine. How much they spend and how much money they have is their business, isn't it?
Yea, of course. But if they have that much money and they're impatient, blow the extra $1k. That they don't need the space is irrelevant since they don't seem to need a 32 core, 64gig machine in the first place.

I mean, I don't CARE that they spent this - their life, their money - but we're well past the point where there's use-driven rationales for their action. If the $ is really irrelevant, go buy the 4T version. IF the $1000 is relevant, I'd encourage them to reconsider the entire purchase.

We should try and help the OP deliberate on their question, shouldn't we?

Why? The choices are clear cut and the only question is whether it's worth $1000 to buy now vs wait. This isn't a complex choice. The OP knows their finances and life better than us. They are, presumably, an adult. So... spend another $1000 or wait. In the immortal words of the Talking Heads... "decide, decide."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.