Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

• Just wait 2+ months until June for the one I ordered and risk it getting pushed back even further.

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Spend an extra $1000 and get the 4tb now from the apple store.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Cancel my order and wait for M2 max or put the money elsewhere.

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
Easy. Regardless of the extra storage, is it worth it to you to pay $1000 extra right now to go and get the machine today vs. waiting about 1.5 months?

Lots of people would pay that premium to not have to wait 6 weeks or more. Is that you?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I wish dropping $1,000 was this casual to me lol.

Then again, I did just buy a new MBP literally an hour ago without a real need for it. But still, I would not spend $1,000 just to get something two months sooner. It’s your money and what’s valuable to you that matters though.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
So poll time, what would y’all do in my situation. Also, feel free to comment what you would do on this post if it’s not listed in the poll.
I would not wring my hands over it in an online forum. Only you know what your financial situation is, and how much you need the new computer for your current needs. It really comes down to a pretty simple pro/con analysis that is tailored to you, not the situation that the rest of us think you have. Make a big boy decision and move on.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I chose an option that is not on the list. Keep looking at area stores, Apple and third party, online, etc. You'll find the machine you want.

Reactions: Misheemee

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I should mention I’m currently using an m1 13 MacBook Pro that does everything I need it to do. I’m upgrading because I want more and want to have more fun tinkering with intensive stuff.
The M1 Max is a wonderful machine that you're going to love... that said, if you look at what you just wrote I think you have your answer. You may be able to afford a $1000 premium for something you don't need but are you really going to get $1000 of use out of it before your current machine ships? Also, the 14/16 MBP's were introduced ~7 months ago, the M1 architecture is now ~18 months old, and the A14 it's based on is approaching it's second birthday. Who's to say the next generation of Apple Silicon won't have you chomping at the bit this time next year (or even earlier.)
At this point I'd say, wait for your order to ship, and use the extra time to think long and hard about what you'll be happy with. Besides as others have noted it'll probably ship before June.

• Love
Reactions: Argoduck

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
If you needed it ASAP, the choice would be easy: Go for the laptop you can get now. But you've stated you don't really need it, so I would kick back and check your shipping status occasionally on the one you've already ordered and go about your life.

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Okay, so I come back. I went ahead and jumped the gun. Went to the apple store and picked it up and am typing this from it right now. Love it so far. Unfortantely, I have to go to work now so I'll have to play with it after work.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The answer always depends on what you're using now and if it is adequate. If it is, then you have options. Just wait a few months. If Apple announced M2 products, you can always cancel or return and then look forward to the M2 products. I always have a current system and a backup system. When I buy a new system, the current becomes the backup. The supply-chain stuff is just so crazy but you have what you need to make a living and it seems clear that you can get by with that.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'd suggest saving your $1000 and instead spending $14.99 on this book:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 1.59.26 PM.png

? But seriously, if you have enough disposable income where paying a $1000 premium just to get a computer 2 months early is even an option on the table, then count your blessings and go ahead and do it.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . I’m currently using an m1 13 MacBook Pro that does everything I need it to do. . .

Well, I’m doing payment plans so I already got charged like $320 for a product that hasn’t even been produced yet and I won’t see for 2+ months! . . .

It’s the Apple Card installment plans.

. . . Went to the apple store and picked it up and am typing this from it right now. . .

So there is no need for advice at this point since you've already made your decision, and presumably cancelled the order that you had placed.

The point I wanted to add is that you should not have been charged for the MacBook that you ordered but was not already shipped. That is not how I understand Apple orders to work and not how it has worked in my experience. If this had continued and you were waiting for the order to ship then I would be advising you to reach out to Apple and get that corrected.

Enjoy your new MacBook! You may find that the 4TB comes in handy eventually, who knows?

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure about your use case, but 1TB seems small to me.
I have a 2TB MacBook Pro 13" that takes diligent management to keep 25% free - recommended for disk performance and life.
I opted for a 64GB/4TB for my M1Ultra, since I intend to keep it for four plus years. My old cMPro lasted 10 years, but it was easy to upgrade disks and RAM.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Not sure about your use case, but 1TB seems small to me.

To me, it's fine. I have 512 GB on a M1 Max 32 GB 16" because the laptop's SSD is only for apps and software dev. A fast processor and ample amounts of RAM are more important for my workflow. YMMV.

Music is in the cloud, movies I have on my NAS (which can do tens of TBs for much cheaper - they use mechanical drives), and everything else is either there or in the cloud with some third-party provider.

Apple charges you a pretty penny for storage upgrades so that's not exactly fun. Although if you are into movie production or have to deal with large files, that might be unavoidable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.