Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Hullo,
I have the iMac in my sig, and an iPad. The imac sits in my front room for normal computing and i use the ipad for watching movies in bed. I just feel that I could do with a proper computer to use in my bedroom and on the toilet. I am sorely tempted by the airs sexiness, and its lack of ports and storage is no problem as i can TB it to my imac.

I am sat here with the cash in my pocket and PCWorld is literally a hundred feet away from my front door, BUT a small voice is saying for a few pounds more I could buy a proper MBP. But I don't need that optical drive and buying the cheapest 13 inch MBA would leave me 400 quid or so for xmas.

WHat would you do?

Mhotep

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
LOL. I say go for the 11 inch. Probably the sexist laptop I've ever seen and used. If you don't like the 11 inch screen then get the 13, but do get the MBA.

ecib

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
Hullo,
I have the iMac in my sig, and an iPad...I just feel that I could do with a proper computer to use in my bedroom and on the toilet. ...a small voice is saying for a few pounds more I could buy a proper MBP.
WHat would you do?

As a MBA owner, I am struggling to understand why you would possibly want to buy a MBA *or* a MBP. Do you need a full fledged operating system while you poop? How in the world could your iPad not be enough? Especially when you have an iMac when you need to do the things that iOS cannot.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a ton of cash to burn and it's not an issue, pick one up, -it's the best laptop I've ever owned hands down. I'm just not seeing the need though.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Well, I have both. The 11" MBA just oozes - sorry, poor choice of words in view of where you intend to use the machine - high-tech charm while the MBP is a dinosaur. I think fondly of the MBP and carried one for years. But the era for loaded-down laptops is - thankfully - well past.

The MBA is the very definition of "current" kit. Just why you'd want to buy from the folks at PC World is another question and best taken up in another thread. I'd sooner buy something from Best Buy!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
He could just hook the iMac up in the bathroom...something like this.

thronecomputer.jpg

As a MBA owner, I am struggling to understand why you would possibly want to buy a MBA *or* a MBP. Do you need a full fledged operating system while you poop? How in the world could your iPad not be enough? Especially when you have an iMac when you need to do the things that iOS cannot.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a ton of cash to burn and it's not an issue, pick one up, -it's the best laptop I've ever owned hands down. I'm just not seeing the need though.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009

I was slightly jesting about the bathroom usage, but I am deadly serious about using a notebook whilst abed. I write, a lot, and originally bought the iPad to use, amongst other things, for writing whilst out of the house, and in bed. But although fine for dashing off an email, i find typing at length on the ipad impossible. SO my question is really, do you think I would regret only buying an MBA, for typing on and i suppose a little browsing etc, rather than an MBP?

Are there any iMac and MBA owners here who wish they had bought an MBP rather than an MBA? And if so what do you find disappointing about the air?

And that toilet seat/office combination amused me greatly. thanks.

Oh and what is wrong with PC world? The prices are the same as the Mac online store, and as I said the shop is 30 seconds walk away. And Im afraid, being English, I haven't a clue what best buy is (other than a shop, obviously).

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If we're being pragmatic, your solution is clearly the best one for OP.

You can take care of business while taking care of your business at the same time. Very logical solution. Though your home office will smell like your home bathroom. May be an issue for some people.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
Are there any iMac and MBA owners here who wish they had bought an MBP rather than an MBA? And if so what do you find disappointing about the air?

No, I don't need any more connectivity than the MBA has and it runs great for simple browsing, e-mail, writing, simple games etc

Oh and what is wrong with PC world? The prices are the same as the Mac online store, and as I said the shop is 30 seconds walk away. And Im afraid, being English, I haven't a clue what best buy is (other than a shop, obviously).

PC World don't have the best reputation for customer service but even if you buy from them you can still turn to Apple if anything goes wrong with your MBA and PC World are less than helpful

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
The 11" is the sexiest computer, but I had to get the 13" because it just felt too small for me in the end. Don't really see much point in getting a pro when you have the iMac. But thats just me. I will also be using an iMac/Air/iPad combination as soon as the next ten iMac drops.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
thanks for your advice everyone. I have decided that tomorrow morning I will buy the cheap 13inch MBA. I am looking foreword to it as I have never actually seen an MBA in the flesh. So there is a chance that I may see the 11inch and become so smitten I buy that instead, but I think I will prefer the bigger screen. That brings me to another question. Is the license I have for my copy of iWorks for a single user, or a single machine? And if it is for a single machine can i still install it on both of my macs as I will only use one at once?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have had both the MBP and the MBA. Both are excellent computers but with different strengths. In essence, you are trading power for portability. The MBP comes with better spec, and is more powerful, thus is better value for money. On the other hand, the MBA has a superb screen, is faster (that stunning SSD drive) and is super portable. As I travel a lot, weight is an issue, and the form factor of the MBA is a huge plus for me.

I loved my MBP, - which I had for nearly three years, but, when I bought the MBA, I found that I hardly used it, and thus, within a year I had sold it as I found I was using the MBA all of the time.

Cheers

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Surely that would only allow filesharing with the iMac, and zero port access?

I was actually thinking of the MBAs lack of SD reader, but I just noticed that the 13inch has one. But now Im pondering the MBAs connections, if I needed for some reason to plug 5 USB devices into my air would attaching the MBA to my iMac via TB not achieve that? In the same way the new monitor does?

Last edited:

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
I was actually thinking of the MBAs lack of SD reader, but I just noticed that the 13inch has one. But now Im pondering the MBAs connections, if I needed for some reason to plug 5 USB devices into my air would attaching the MBA to my iMac via TB not achieve that? In the same way the new monitor does?

This^^ I was wondering the same thing!...Also, i have a Macbook Air and iMac. I use the Macbook Air more, but not by much. I think i pro and iMac is overkill. portability (air) and power (iMac) is a good combination. The MBP would be power (pro) and power (iMac)...overkill (echo) But i wanted to know the same thing as in the quote above before i drop 50 bucks on a cable as well.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
This^^ I was wondering the same thing!...Also, i have a Macbook Air and iMac. I use the Macbook Air more, but not by much. I think i pro and iMac is overkill. portability (air) and power (iMac) is a good combination. The MBP would be power (pro) and power (iMac)...overkill (echo) But i wanted to know the same thing as in the quote above before i drop 50 bucks on a cable as well.

Allow me. I just ordered a cable from the apple store and Ill buy an MBA tomorrow. I shall want the cable anyway for copying things about quickly.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Awesome, let me know how it goes! Thank you ;)

It will be my pleasure, and if the shop from which I am buying my MBA has a TB cable for sale Ill buy that at the same time and cancel my order from apple, so I may be able to furnish you with an answer tommorow.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
To answer your question: Best Buy is an American "big box" electronics retailer, with a sales staff roughly equal to a herd of bison grazing somewhere on the fruited plain. That's my US heritage showing through; I immigrated to escape political persecution during the second Bush siege.

Back in the day when Apple was struggling for survival - and even after the introduction of the iMac, iMac DV, etc. - the PCWorld staff couldn't be bothered by anything Apple. Of course, this was long before the days of the the Mac renaissance and the ubiquitous Apple Store on the High Street, but the anti-Mac attitude was so pervasive I vowed never to buy anything there again. I'm sure some GM is losing sleep over the missed revenue.

Cheers - and best of luck with your MBA. I am confident you'll love it.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I bought an 11" Air just to use in bed and for college. I already have a Pro but it stays on my desk with an external screen.

If money isn't an issue, get the Air. It's so much better than the iPad for browsing and writing in my opinion.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
To answer your question: Best Buy is an American "big box" electronics retailer, with a sales staff roughly equal to a herd of bison grazing somewhere on the fruited plain. That's my US heritage showing through; I immigrated to escape political persecution during the second Bush siege.

Back in the day when Apple was struggling for survival - and even after the introduction of the iMac, iMac DV, etc. - the PCWorld staff couldn't be bothered by anything Apple. Of course, this was long before the days of the the Mac renaissance and the ubiquitous Apple Store on the High Street, but the anti-Mac attitude was so pervasive I vowed never to buy anything there again. I'm sure some GM is losing sleep over the missed revenue.

Cheers - and best of luck with your MBA. I am confident you'll love it.

Thanks. I was intrigued by the best buy reference. My only previous encounter with them was as the place where cartman wants his mum to buy him a 64g 3G iPad. Then he gets a human centiPad. I love that episode-"SOrry Kyle, Burrito is true delicious" makes me crack up every time.

I am rather excited. I can't wait to add to my apple sticker collection. Although I feel al bit let down by the stickers; I got 2 on a sheet when I bought an MBP, then some smaller stickers with my iPods, so I assumed as the sticker size seemed to be based on the size of the product my iMac would come with a sticker about 2 feet across. It didn't.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Not sure if that would worK, but a 5 port USB hub would cost about $30 depending on where you get it.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I bought an 11" Air just to use in bed and for college. I already have a Pro but it stays on my desk with an external screen.

If money isn't an issue, get the Air. It's so much better than the iPad for browsing and writing in my opinion.

I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but I spend all day using computers and gadgets and ones that excite me and make me smile (like all the MS OS PCs I owned for years never did) are, I think, worth paying for. I would never dream of paying a few quid to support a dell website, for instance. The magical majesty of apples gewgaws are worth a missed holiday or ten.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.