What would you do if you had to work just 2-3 days per week?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ss957916, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I am so lucky - I have a job I thoroughly enjoy, earn around £100k per year and only work an average of three days per week (in extreme cases, some weeks I don't work at all, sometimes I'll work 10 days in a row).

But man, am I bored! This week, for example, I'm working just four hours on Thursday evening.

So what would you do with all this extra time (keeping in mind that, although plentiful, the free time is quite random)?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Shoot more video, edit more, try to build back my personal client base since the economy tanked, the list goes on.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Jeez, what do you do that you can earn ~$180k a year and only work like like 20 hours a week max?

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

not compatible with my job, but if it was i would have time to catch up with my reading, play with my kids, cook, do more sport, visit museums, re-organize my photo + music collections (including digitize my tapes) and the hard drive of my computer, allow myself to play a computer/console game.
    in three words, have a life. :)

5. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But then what? After several years when you've visited enough museums, your photos and music libraries are sorted, tapes digitised, kids are at school etc. - then what?! Cos that's kind of where I am.

6. James L macrumors 6502a

I work 4 on, 4 off... 12 hour shifts on my days on.

The four days of work are tiring, and the first day off is nothing but rest and catching up on sleep / light chores. The three days off after that are amazing to have though.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

duh

you get another job making that much on the side.

or you take up serious photography. or videography. or painting. or writing. Just create something

8. blinkie macrumors regular

You really shouldn't have extra time. Fill it all with the things you love. What do you like? What are you interested in?

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there's always volunteer work that needs doing.....like those museums you visited? they can probably use some help. Like kids? for those that do, there are plenty of kids who need help of one sort or another. Love the outdoors? Plenty of opportunities again......just get off your butt and go find something interesting to help at

sports....art....train spotting.....drinking! there's always something to get into

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

11. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is, my primary job needs to take precedent. I did look into being a Special Constable (unpaid cop) but I needed to commit to a certain number of shifts per month - something I couldn't do.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

sounds like a decent gig. Start a small business on the side? A friend and I want to eventually flip cars (buy,fix,sell) for fun but wouldn't mind if theres a little cash in it too :D

14. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I had a buddy a few years ago that had a similar problem. But I think he made 10x what you're making.

He was world-renowned in his field. He was "on call" in that if his employers needed him somewhere in the world, he went. It was usually with weeks of notice, so he could still do other stuff as he felt like it.

When he was waiting, he played hockey during the day, went skiing, etc.

The thing to keep in mind was, as much as he was making, each of his employers made his annual take, every day. (I am not exaggerating). So SAVE YOUR MONEY. His employers could let him go in a heartbeat, and he'd have to start looking for a normal job again, etc.

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I am currently working 3 days a week. However within those three days I do my 40 hours. I work 16-8-16. The rest of the week I like to relax and work on my side projects! Trying to earn some extra cash!!!!

17. ethical macrumors 68000

so £1m? :eek:

they made £1m every day....£365m a year? :rolleyes:

I wanna know what he does!!

As said, take up a hobby, photography, sport, volunteer....theres no shortage of things to do in this world...especially when in your situation!!

18. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I spend a lot of time arguing on internet forums.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'd have more time with my dogs. I'm working with my puppy towards becoming a therapy dog, so if that went well and I had that much time I'd probably spend it all at CHLA.

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

So what is your actual job? Surely you didn't come here to just floss that you make $150k+/yr and work half of what everyone else works, while also conveniently ignoring people's questions about what it is you do...?

21. djellison macrumors 68020

I know what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't come onto a Mac forum and go 'Look at me, look at my six figure salary, oh it's hard being me with all this money and spare time'

22. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

23. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

i know someone who works 2 days per week as a plastic surgeon (reconstructive surgery only) to pay for all his bills and hobbies and three days per week he works as a car mechanic on classic cars to interact with cool people.

personally if I had that much free time i would :
    1) read more books
    2) get a horse to ride
    3) have a garden that produces food
    4) actually have time to socialize
    5) play outside in the sun (I currently work 2 floors underground and do not see much sunlight during day )
    6) Cook lavish meals occasionally
    7) play a lot more sports ( to deal with lavish meals :p )

24. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

If I only worked part time, I would make my own late light get-rich-quick TV infomercials. I'd dress up in some flashy white pants, a pastel-colored polo shirt, topped off with a pink sweater tied around my neck, and I'd be standing in front of my 1985 Ferrari Testarossa, which would be conveniently parked right on my pool deck, and I'd tell everyone how I got rich by working only 10 hrs. a week. I'd also have lots of hot chicks telling everyone to call my toll-free number RIGHT NOW so I could sell tell them the secrets of my success.

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      134.9 KB
      Views:
  25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I work around 20-25 hours a week. But honestly work isn't even how to describe it. I make [a good amount] a year.

What I did is:

I have a great love for horses. See my avatar. I bought a ranch and currently we (volunteers) have around 79-81 horses that came from abused circumstances. We rehabilatate them and find foster homes for them. That puts my actual work hours to 60+ a week; again not really work.

Do something that you're passionate about but try to help in some way at the same time.