What would you do in my case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bosoxnm3, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bosoxnm3 macrumors member

I have a 3GS and for the past six months or so, I have left it out of a case. Anyways, I just dropped it and now the screen is "spiderwebbed." I am eligible for an early upgrade and my contract is over in August.

My phone is still usable, but for someone who uses his iphone as his main source of internet, it's a pretty big hindrance.

Would you wait the however many months it takes for the next phone to come out, or would you go ahead and buy an iphone 4?

2. Inkllicious macrumors regular

Personally I stopped using my 3Gs BECAUSE of the noticeable crack. dropped it out of a moving vehicle.

I don't think the Iphone '5' is going to be anything HUGE, but something tells me some should wait; Which is why I'm still using a 3G

Even if I don't get the 5th generation iphone, There will be a lotta' people sellin off their fours, and thats just a better price for a broke teen like me.

3. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I'd buy a cheap phone off of craigslist for the time being and wait out the next few months for the next iphone.

4. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

Have you ever went to your local grocery store at the end of the week and purchased your favorite snack. Then the next day you walk in and its half off. This is the end of the week for the the iPhone 4 soon it will go on sale

5. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Repair shouldn't be that much if you DIY. Buy the parts and follow the guides online. We're most likely 3 months away from a new iPhone....

6. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Fix it and get the iPhone 5.

I read somewhere everyone under the 1yr standard warranty is entitled to a free screen replacement...?

7. luked14 macrumors 6502

I'd buy a 4 now and if you decide you want the 5 when it comes out, just sell the 4 on craigslist or ebay and buy the 5 with AT&T's "iPhone discounted pricing."

8. djjeffroe macrumors newbie

Fix it

The front screen on the 3GS is super easy to replace and its relatively inexpensive.

9. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

the repair is quite straight forward, but the parts aren't exactly cheap especially if you get the nice ones.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I would wait. I broke my iPhone 3G screen about two years ago and waited about 6-7 months until the iPhone 4 came out. It sucked, but I didn't want to waste my upgrade and money.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A digitizer will run you $10 on eBay. An entire LCD assembly will run $50-$60.

To replace only a digitizer it takes about an hour or more if you don't rush and you do it right. To replace the entire assembly it takes about a minute and a half.

I'd fix the 3Gs though man, it's still got lots of life left in it. Save your upgrade.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a 3GS and an available upgrade (though my 3GS is not shattered like yours). If my 3GS were to shatter, I'd probably:

1) Take it to Apple and see what my options are.
    2) Buy a screen protector or buy an Otterbox Defender (which has a screen cover) and put that on to prevent myself from getting cuts. I don't really use my device other than text messaging and listening to music. Pictures I just load up to the computer and see and I rarely web browse on the device. Obviously, my needs are different than yours.
    3) Repair the display if I can find one for under $15
    4) Buy a new iPhone.

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

The screen on my 3GS spiderwebbed about two weeks ago. So far no cut fingers. The thing still works OK.

I'm holding out until iPhone5 (4S - whatever). I'm hoping for an unlocked phone with multiple radios in it. I just moved to a place where ATT sucks.

If it works, slap a screen protector on it and hang on for a while. 4's are only going to get cheaper and you may make it until the 5 comes out. That's my plan anyway.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Fix the screen for as cheap as possible and hold out for the next iPhone IMO. The iPhone 4 is great don't get me wrong but I think may was the last "window" for buying it. Honestly just wait it out. The 3GS is still a great phone.