What would you do in this position?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RobertD63, Dec 12, 2008.

1. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

First off I hesitated to even post this because I wasn't sure of your replies and thoughts on it. But I have to know.

On Sunday (12-7-08) I bought a Alum MacBook on eBay (see signature for specs) and I was thinking that I was gonna have it by the end of the week and Sat by the very very latest. So monday rolls around. Seller did not ship it due to "weather." They said that they would ship it on Tuesday and Wednesday by the latest. So no shipment Tuesday because of the same reason and Wednesday they don't ship it. So on Wednesday I get an email:
    Look at what I've bolded and heres what the Auction said:
    So the Seller lied about having the MacBook. Hm.. Im not that mad I got a great deal(1,169) and the seller has 100% feedback dealing with over 108 different people. No big deal even though I'm really pissed about how they lied about all of this till Wednesday. So I'm currently waiting for the seller to get home from work and reply to my email on weather or not they got the MacBook from Fedex and if its shipped out yet. If not I'm getting my money back and leaving neutral-negative (haven't decided yet).

So My question to you guys:
    What would you do if this or has happend to you? What kind of feedback would you leave?

PS. If I get it tomorrow I will leave good feedback and just move on.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

So why not just wait an extra day, then decide?

3. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just trying to get an Idea of what I should do because I almost have a feeling that its not going to be here tomorrow. :(

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think he should send you an email at some point saying that it is shipped if it is going to get to you tomorrow. If that email doesn't come, then maybe take the refund.

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Is that "weather" or "whether" an intentional pun?

Anyways, all joking aside, these situations are always tense. First huge question, is the seller located anywhere outside of the U.S.? Canada is fine, but South East Asia is never good, at least from my experiences. Actually didn't you say Salt Lake? You could just wait it out until he gets his shipment in and take it from there. If he doesn't send you a USPS confirmation that day, then try to get your money back. Hopefully you paid with PayPal or some kind of Insured credit card, in case it takes a turn for the worst.

It's just a nerve wracking situation because there is nothing you can do right now, except send an e-mail and wait. You can't go talk face to face with the guy, and that's the tough part of internet dealing.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think you should express your dissatisfaction to the seller and suggest he offers you a partial refund (read sweetener) to stop you requesting the refund.

However, I would not have bought a new MacBook on eBay, you have to ask they come from...

7. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I would just get the refund, if you still can, just due to the fact that he lied. Who know what he'll do next. I've been scammed big time at ebay, and I don't trust anyone.

8. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... I feel like a complete $%^&*()_ and other things because I just got the email saying that it shipped. Correct its coming from Utah (salt lake) and it is very nerve racking. Still is, even though i know that its coming. Could be a brick.... Im over reacting but! I'm very impatient for this.

9. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Ok, so you got the USPS tracking number e-mail. Or did you get something from the seller? If USPS says you've got something coming, then you do. Keep us updated though.

10. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing from them yet, I will keep you updated and an Unboxing video to. But this week had to be the SLOWEST week in school yet.

EDIT: I got from USPS

11. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i honestly would probably leave neutral.

the flat out lied in their auction, and that is a bit scary when you paid so much

12. Your5335 macrumors member

I vouch for the seller, the past few weeks have been a bit like heck weather wise, and we're in for a big one this week too! I'm living here in SLC.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yep

it's a tricky call because he lied. If he lied about one thing....who knows?

Could be a "Fool me once shame on you......" situation.

Your call.

Frankly, I don't know what I would do. I WOULD be a little ticked.

(don't like being lied to.....nobody does)

P.S. On a different note, I just bought some stuff from Amazon Marketplace sellers. They have a choice of standard or expedited shipping most of the time. Thing is, I get the feeling many sellers just ship priority no matter what so your sucker if you pay the extra $4 for the upgrade (they want to avoid 1st class). But there's no way to tell except from reading between the lines in feedback (which is ridiculous ).

I don't know... it's always something :D

14. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I belivie her on that but I don't think it was great to lie..
    I still don't know if I'm going to leave neutral or negative. I guess I'm over it because I should be getting it tomorrow

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

leave positive

Can't hurt . Just send them an email saying your leaving positive but everyone suggested to leave negative.

maybe they will learn a lesson (I know, fat chance :D )

16. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will leave positive but say something about them lying.

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I wouldn't really call it lying, because the seller probably thought it was as good as "in hand." Also, the fact that the seller communicated with you about it, without your having to ask is another good business practice.

Yes, it was an inconvenience, but hopefully the savings will more than make up for it. I would leave positive feedback with a note about how the shipping was slower that it should've been. Has the seller left feedback for you yet? That's another thing about eBay. You want to be careful that they don't leave you bad feedback.

Keep in mind that 108 positive feedbacks is a newbie eBayer. I would never buy a computer from anyone with less than 1,000 feedbacks and a score of 98%. Hopefully the machine will be flawless and over all it will be a good experience for you.

Edit: I wouldn't leave positive feedback until I had completely checked out the computer though! I waited two weeks to leave feedback on mine.

18. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah see I emailed her every night to see if the MacBook was shipped. But 106 different people at 100% is good enough for me. If its not 100% over 50 I don't buy anything.

The seller hasn't left me anything yet. And as a side note eBay removed the seller leaving the buyer bad feedback.

EDIT: I always do that! :D Its smarter, I learned that when I was in the R/C hobby.

19. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I still would recommend positive feedback, as long as the computer is satisfactory. Basically you are telling others about the seller, and if some bad weather delayed the shipment a few days, that's really no reason to leave anything less than positive.

Besides, hopefully the seller learned a valuable lesson and will tweak the ads accordingly.:)

20. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm going to leave good feedback, but just a little ticked. Was. But I hope she tweaks them or.... I don't know lol:eek:

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I probably wouldnt have bought a MacBook off eBay in the first place. You seriously never really know what your getting.
    I hope everything works out for you.

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

Uh, lets see....I'm typing this on a new Macbook unibody I bought off ebay which came out to about $1050 after MS Cashback. :)

Granted, there are risks but really the feedback is a very important indicator of what to expect. (and there are also other indicators)

23. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

There really wasn't any choice for me.. For xmas I was only going to get 100$ so... I convinced them to get me a MacBook for a trade off for my Mac Mini as a family computer. Then my mom said that we should buy new and I was like "SWEET no eBay!" Wrong! As long as we saved 5$ it was going to come from eBay.. Yay...:confused:

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

No worries on ebay as long as you check feedbacks. I saved over $500 on my MBP, have had it almost a year now, no problems whatsoever. I buy on ebay every chance i get. I got my daughter's referb at the referb store, but I lucked up and they had exactly what I wanted when I wanted it, or her's would've come from ebay as well.

Enjoy your new toy.:p

25. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats fine. As I said, I wouldnt buy something off ebay.
    Seller reviews mean nothing. I can have 30-40 people go write positive reviews for me too!?