what would you do now

IamMarcoPolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
83
0
I was hoping to buy a new imac 27 inch from my 13inch mac pro 2010 - i do alot of photoshop/photography and need the screen estate - been waiting for weeks for hte new spec bumps but there is none


just not sure what to do!
 

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
5,237
1,899
I was hoping to buy a new imac 27 inch from my 13inch mac pro 2010 - i do alot of photoshop/photography and need the screen estate - been waiting for weeks for hte new spec bumps but there is none


just not sure what to do!
Keep what your using as you always have. Wait until Mountain Lion ships for new imacs to release into the wild. Your 13" still works.
 

jakeruston

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
107
25
The Netherlands
I have the same question.

I wanted to wait for the new one but after waiting for months already I'm getting a bit impatient now, especially when we have no idea when they'll be released.
 

Rebel Hedgehog

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
67
0
Northants
Think I'm just going to buy it now. Sick of waiting to be honest. If the Mac Pro's "silent update" did not even feature thunderbolt or USB3 what's to say the IMac will?
 

dannywaugh1

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
58
0
I have the same question.

I wanted to wait for the new one but after waiting for months already I'm getting a bit impatient now, especially when we have no idea when they'll be released.
Guys I am in the same boat. My computer works nothing wrong with it at the moment. I started to ask myself the same thing 'what to do now?'
But iv said to myself wait for mountain lion to release and go from there.

So why not wait till mountain lion it released. Your macs work ok right?
 

highlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
29
0
Well, my macbook pro really doesn't work so well anymore, and is getting to be kinda useless for all of the photo editing I want to do. At this point it seems absurd to buy an iMac though... I could really use USB3 or Thunderbolt to make better use of external drives.

A new macbook and separate screen seems like the only way to go if I want newer hardware, but much more expensive and not what I really want. A laptop and an iPad seem redundant, but what I want to do is move from a macbook to an iMac AND an iPad. That can't be an unusual configuration for the consumer/prosumer sect, right? Apple, I'm your demographic, stop disappointing me!
 

cypress822

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
120
0
I've waited to buy the new iMac for 4 months...feeling really quite stupid now that i have babied this iMac for this long while waiting for the new one....im buying a new one tomorrow or later the evening.
Whatever update their planning to do is not going to probably turn into any real noticeable difference from their top of the line 27 inch iMac. Unless retina display...but I'm done waiting.
Now you can surf the iMac boards about people waiting till the july....then maybe have to wait till fall...then maybe early winter for christmas season.
I'm done.
 

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
2,585
2
NJ
I was hoping to buy a new imac 27 inch from my 13inch mac pro 2010 - i do alot of photoshop/photography and need the screen estate - been waiting for weeks for hte new spec bumps but there is none


just not sure what to do!
For your specific use, would you consider Retina next-gen MBP?
 

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
2,585
2
NJ
the reason im moving to the iMAC + ipad combo is because

A: im less mobile this year

B: i need ALOT more screen estate

C: IPAD will be for uni
Ah..

Well if you're in a rush, buy a 2010 used/refurb and sell it when 2012 is released.

If you're not in a rush, keep waiting.
 

isohovik

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
14
0
Buy MBP?

Sould I use the money I have saved for the new iMac, or spend it on a new MBP? Have about $2400 to spend.
 

Lumee23

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
6
0
I just ordered mine. It hurts to pay as much as I did for 2011 tech but my early 2008 iMac has been finished for some time and I really can't go any longer w/o a computer. I use mine for Photoshop and I did consider the new macbook pro just because its updated but I want my big screen and can't afford a Tbolt display on top of everything.
 

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
5,237
1,899
I just ordered mine. It hurts to pay as much as I did for 2011 tech but my early 2008 iMac has been finished for some time and I really can't go any longer w/o a computer. I use mine for Photoshop and I did consider the new macbook pro just because its updated but I want my big screen and can't afford a Tbolt display on top of everything.
If you need it you need it, especially if you don't have a computer. Ivy Bridge is only 30% faster which isn't even noticeable in my opinion.

----------

Sould I use the money I have saved for the new iMac, or spend it on a new MBP? Have about $2400 to spend.
Just hold out until Mountain Lion is release. I hate for you to spend that money only to have new iMacs in 30 days or so.
 

highlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
29
0
For your specific use, would you consider Retina next-gen MBP?
Not the OP, but I am wanting a new iMac for the same purposes. I am somewhat considering the new MBP, but I just don't think I can afford it + a bunch of external hard drives and thunderbolt cables and all that good stuff.

If I got a currently-priced iMac base 27" with a 2TB hard drive, that would cost 1,850... and I would have to spend another $200ish on a backup hard drive.

If I got the cheapest new MBP for 2,200, I would then need at least 2 decent sized external hard drives to store all my photo files, and then some configuration where one of those externals backed up to the other external through the MBP. I think all of that transferring of data would get old quick. And interfere with the portableness of the macbook. And get expensive. Significantly more expensive than an upgraded iMac.
 

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
2,585
2
NJ
Not the OP, but I am wanting a new iMac for the same purposes. I am somewhat considering the new MBP, but I just don't think I can afford it + a bunch of external hard drives and thunderbolt cables and all that good stuff.
USB3 externals are plenty fast enough for most use, and not expensive.

You do have other issues though. :)
 

highlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
29
0
the reason im moving to the iMAC + ipad combo is because

A: im less mobile this year

B: i need ALOT more screen estate

C: IPAD will be for uni
hah, that's exactly the configuration I'm planning on. Yet one more reason why the new MBP just doesn't work for me... I want an iMac at home (biggest screen possible!) and an iPad for school/work/play, and I'm sick of carrying around my older macbook pro.
 

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
103
0
UK
I was also waiting for a few months,but I think waiting till Mountain Lion is released is no problem.
I don't have a Mac,still relying on a PC and the wait will be hard but hopefully worth it.

Alan
 

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
883
133
I was hoping to buy a new imac 27 inch from my 13inch mac pro 2010 - i do alot of photoshop/photography and need the screen estate - been waiting for weeks for hte new spec bumps but there is none


just not sure what to do!
I was waiting as well, going to put something together myself now. Dont want to pay extra for old hardware no USB 3, slow graphics card,...
With a 27" screen and some carefully picked hardware osx for half the price .
 

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
551
0
Chandler, Arizona
So why not wait till mountain lion it released. Your macs work ok right?
No, my Mac does NOT work ok. That's why the refresh is such a big deal for a lot of us. I've got an older iMac that worked well for a long time but is now held together with string and prayers after being asked to do more than it was ever designed to do for far too long now. I managed to keep it on life support well beyond any reasonable refresh time cycle. We needed a new iMac NOW. Yesterday. Last month.

Apple needs to refresh the iMac (and give a real refresh to the Mac Pro) or shut the hell up.
 

TopToffee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
664
58
I'm giving serious consideration to selling my 09 MBP, and going with the new Retina MBP and a Thunderbolt display.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.