What would you like from USA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DrDoug, Jan 15, 2012.

1. DrDoug macrumors member

This is a question from members of the forum from the UK.

I am in USA for a while, and have some shopping to do.. Just had a thought, that maybe I should get myself some stuff that is not available in the UK and wither too heavy or too expensive to ship over.

Also I will be off to the US Apple store - do they stock anything different from ours?

Any ideas?

thanks

Doug

iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Air 13" i5 | iPad2 | iPhone 4s

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Generally, all Apple items are a bit cheaper in the US as there is no VAT like in most European countries (there is sales tax but it's much lower and some places don't charge it). Though it looks like you have quite a nice setup already.

Think if there is something you really need, don't just buy for the sake of buying. You can only take X amount of luggage and they can have a total weight of Y so it's not cheap if you have more than you are allowed to.

3. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

they were even cheaper when sterling was worth $2. Now, when all said and done, probably not much of an advantage buying in the US, in fact there are some advantages buying certain items in the UK, especially if you are in education as you get 3 year warranty...

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I know it's not Apple, but I've been trying to get a replica of the master sword from the legend of zelda series for ages. I can't find it in the UK anywhere but it's easy to get in the USA. I've checked with the police and it's legal to own one too.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

And imagine trying to take that back on a plane.. lots of luck with that.

6. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

It's obviously not carry-on friendly, but it'd be fine in the hold. I'd love to see security's faces as it went through the scanner though!

7. DrDoug thread starter macrumors member

Not sure that the budget or the import laws will support weapons of mass destruction.

Was thinking more of peripherals rather than large apple products.

(cables/drives/things I can plug in)

was kind of hoping that the US Malls would be full of external thunderbolt HDDs, but alas not.

8. Papanate macrumors regular

You won't save any money and more likely will end up paying more due to the import taxes you'll be paying on purchased items.

9. DrDoug thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. Still exchange rate still pretty good for us.

Also - there are loads of things that we cant get easily in the UK, but are eveyday in USA (like Hersheys syrup or Apple & Cinnamon Jam).

So if we forget about the financial situation for a while.. is there any good tech that you guys have that we dont?

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well you can get an iPod that doesn't have a EU sound limit ... not really sure.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Household heating? :D

Beer fridges? :D

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

Maybe look into the silly gadgets of a local Brookstone or Sharper Image? Hehe. ;)

I know a guy from Brazil who comes to the US once a year just to make mass electronics purchases because the pricing down there is absurd. I guess if there's something you want or think you want, buy it on the cheap here.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you were interested in bringing say 100 boxes of McVities Jaffa cakes from the UK to US, I might be interested…

I always found the EU governments having a say in that… Anyways I manually set a sound limit on all my iPods so I don't blow my ears out if a friend decides to mess with my volume when I'm sleeping or whatnot.

14. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Scarlett Johansson - if she's not available - her phone.

Stewart

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't have an issue with a sound limit, but I know some people are looking for ipods without them so that's why i suggested it. i would never listen on 100% volume either. Anyways never really thought about someone screwing around with my volume while i sleep. Well i unplug my music when i'm about to crash, so i guess i should be okay

16. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Notwithstanding what I said earlier about sterling exchange rate, a HiPPiH iEagle Foldable Wireless keyboard for $99 would not be a bad buy from over there

17. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Or how about the Logitech bluetooth keyboard with case for the iPad 2. Available for $60 odd in the US and you have to pay £70 in the Uk...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Built-Stand-920-003402/dp/B0054JE706/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Very easy. I went on holiday with friends to Spain. One of them bought a whole load of replica swords, daggers etc. Brought them back just fine.